More colon talk: Anybody ever had this problem?

Marquis Mark

Ever since my herculean bout of constipation a week ago, it feels as if the muscle(s) which control my BMs have weakened (thought this may be partially attributable to my reluctance to clench because it irritates my already sore anus) . As a result, I fear straying far from the bathroom as I don’t have the “clenching/holding” ability I did before. I also have about 5 BMS a day, usually within about 1 hour of each other. I also attribute this (although maybe incorrectly) to the muscles’ inability to “store up” and let me go to the bathroom once or twice a day as before. Of course, the extra BMs also irritate my already sore and traumatized rectum.

I haven’t been to work all week. It’s quite debilitating and uncomfortable to say the least. I’m only 51 and in good health so I don’t know what’s going on.

Did anybody have a bout of this after their surgery? Was it brought about by constipation? How long did it take to resolve? Any tips? I’m already using Sitz baths, 2.5% Hydrocortisone and Lidocaine especially made for that area. I’ve also added fat, magnesium oxide, fiber and stool softeners to my routine so the constipation itself isn’t an issue any more – just the aftermath.

Any wisdom, as always, will be deeply appreciated!

Thanks, MM

Last edited:
I don't know - you could have torn something; you could have a fistula forming; you might need some medication that is not OTC or known to your PCP. But if you are becoming incontinent of stool, I'd want that diagnosed and fixed ASAP.

OK, thanks. I find you to be very knowledgeable so when you use Shakespearean English and say, "Get thee to a colorectal surgeon, ASAP," alarm bells go off in my heads. BTW, no bleeding or itchiness and I'm able to go, so I'm hopeful it's not a fistula. Also, I think incontinent might be too strong a word. I've had no accidents. It just hurts to hold it in, so I don't try to do that for long.

Just make sure you take a diagram of your new innards to the colorectal surgeon. While they work at the far end, they do need to know what was done.

Latest posts

Back