Mechanical soft/puree/fork tender portion of diet

Butterfly

Hiya, all. I hope this is in the right forum.

My revision to the DS was a week ago and I'll be seeing my surgeon tomorrow for my 1 week follow up. Because he didn't mess with my sleeve during surgery, we only did 1 day of clear liquids in the hospital and moved right to full liquids.

I should be moved to the mechanical soft/fork tender diet tomorrow. When I did this as a sleeve patient I mostly cooked meat (chicken most often) and then blended it in my food processor with a little chicken stock to make it a puree consistency. I'd mash veggies with a fork and call it a day.

I'm not looking for recipes per se, but was wondering if anyone had ideas for a shopping list? Because of higher fat meats being okay now, should I branch out with more than chicken?

Anyone have any words of wisdom?

Thanks!

Well, my go to when I got to solid foods was fresh mozzarella with oil and vinegar. I also ate a lot of shrimp salad. Hope this helps.

Yes, go for fattier meats and full fat cheeses. Without the extra fat you will have trouble pooping and your skin will get dry. (Your sleeve was more agreeable than mine as I couldn't eat chicken for nearly a year and then only chicken thighs.)

Wendy's Chili. That was my first real food after greek yogurt, cottage cheese. I loved that chili, even though a small container would last me a week. Before I was able to eat the chili I smeared refried beans in a skillet and sprinkled with shredded cheddar. (But my new sleeve was still irritable.)

Heavy cream, too. Costco lobster bisque.

Mashed veggies: I vote no. Veggies can give your chopped up bowels painful gas and/or diarrhea especially early on. Stick to proteins and introduce veggies later after bowels are fully healed, then one by one to see what may bother you. Same for carbs. I can eat rice but not pasta. Crackers but only some breads. We are all so different, though, so you'll have to discover what works for you.

Chicken of any kind was too dry early on, even with a boatload of mayo.

My go to very early on was tuna with mayo.

Basically if you can cut it with a fork, it's soft enough esp after you chew it. Shrimp is a good early soft food.
I made my own chili. Can't stand Wendy's chili but that may have to do with working there long ago.

Thank you all so much! I have a good list to start with and I'll be doing the "try it and see..." thing starting with fattier meats. I'll most likely skip veggies for at least a few weeks as suggested. :)

Oh yes, my sleeve is/was VERY agreeable. It really was a bust as a plain old sleeve, but my DS surgeon believes it's going to be just what I need to allow nutrition for the DS. I was able to eat pretty much anything and never had any restriction after I fully healed. I had to rely on just measuring food and stopping myself with willpower. It's a wonder I lost a thing.

Thank you all again!

Wendy's Chili. That was my first real food after greek yogurt, cottage cheese. I loved that chili, even though a small container would last me a week.

Projective vomiting on chili over here. I did not tolerate that until much later. We are all so different.

Latest posts

Back