Meat for protein?

A Dixon

I am still waiting to schedule surgery, but I've noticed so many people talk about adding/doubling meat for the protein...I'm not a vegetarian, but I have wanted to go more vegetarian (ethical reasons)...is it possible to get enough protein without using so much meat?

I guess it is technically possible but it would be really hard unless all you are going to eat is eggs, cheese, yogurt, nuts and protein drinks. In my opinion I don't think would advise a vegetarian to get a DS.

if you are wiling to eat things like eggs, cheese, fish, you can do it, but it will take more planning and attention. Having lived with the DS for 11 years now, and knowing how much we need to emphasize protein, I would not recommend the DS for anyone who is vegan. While I admire the ethics, it just doesn't seem to me that a vegan could get in enough protein between the smaller stomach and the malabsorption of protein. I could be wrong, but that's my belief.

My main diet is tri-tip, ribeye steaks, bacon and eggs.

(And way too much chocolate.)

I just could not eat that much tofu.

Suggestion:

Clear off a counter in your kitchen and line up all the non-animal protein food that you would eat, that you would need to consume to get to 90-100 grams of protein. Will it FIT? If not, you may have to rethink your priorities.

Clear off a counter in your kitchen and line up all the non-animal protein food that you would eat, that you would need to consume to get to 90-100 grams of protein. Will it FIT? If not, you may have to rethink your priorities.
And not just protein but COMPLETE protein.

I think you could as a more of a vegetarian, but no way as a vegan. As long as you do eggs, cheese, yogurt, milk, protein powder and some fish I think you'd prob be OK, but you'd have to be willing to adjust if your protein labs didn't come back right. Trouble is not all proteins are as bio available. Nuts, for example, have lots of protein but the body doesn't absorb it all.

Latest posts

Back