Marvelous Steak Salad

Elizabeth N.

Herder of cats
I have discovered a lovely new thing to do to meat!

First tasted at http://atthebrewhouse.com/ and enjoyed twice now, once with Copper John Scotch Ale (OMG DELIGHT) and once with Bayern Dragon's Breath, one I discovered last summer, a dark hefeweizen.

Take meat of choice, hunk appropriate for grilling and broiling. Thus far I have used boneless pork loin, beef sirloin, chicken breast and now yellowfin tuna. Bring to room temp and other usual prep for grilling.

Make yourself a balsamic vinegar glaze, easiest thing to do EVER and makes you look like a genius. I used a metal 1 cup measuring cup, placed in it a glob each of chopped ginger and garlic and a good sprinkling of ancho chile powder. Adjust according to which flavor you love most. I had a good tablespoon each of garlic and ginger.

Pour in a bunch of balsamic vinegar. In my case it was probably 2/3-plus cup. Boil that baby and reduce it by 1/3 to 1/2 or until it coats the back of a spoon, for those of you who know how to make syrup or candy. Stick it in the freezer to quick cool and thicken. You can't screw this up like you can candy..

Sear off your meat of choice on a really hot grill or fry pan. You want brown yumminess on both sides, so do not fear the heat.

Place meat on the broiler pan, the liner of which you have sensibly lined with foil, for this stuff has sugar in it (in the vinegar) and will STICK and give you nightmares.

Top the meat with as much bleu cheese, in crumbles, as it will hold without spilling all over. Balance a few grape tomatoes on top of this, and even ring your meat with those babies. They are heavenly broiled.

Top all this deliciousness with the balsamic glaze. (This much glaze works for two half pound hunks of meat. Increase proportions accordingly for more people. BIL doesn't eat this stuff, so I cook it for two and give him plain meat and he is happy.)

Shove it all under the broiler for oh, ten minutes or so, until it's brown and crusty on top.

FOODGASM HEAVEN, I promise you.

Thus far I have served it with grilled asparagus one night, and fresh avocado and grilled zucchini tonight, and on a nice bed of freshly picked salad greens from the bowl on the deck another time.

Latest posts

Back