Made the mistake of joining some bariatric FB groups

writegirl

Work in Progress
I'm just loading this here comment as a PSA for those who frequent the bariatric FB groups: After about two days on some of the groups, I cannot help but notice that people such total douchebags to each other. Is it just a FB thing? It makes me appreciate all of y'all even more because this place (and the BF Facebook) is NOTHING like those places (and I mean that as a compliment). I don't know why those who have had WLS are so critical of those who are either A.) Still struggling with weight and maybe not ready to jump into WLS B.) Struggling with re-gain after WLS C.) Making mistakes with eating and food choices (because fucking DUHHHHH that is how we all got fat in the first place) D.) Aren't on the same WLS "team" as whoever is doing the criticizing (i.e.: Someone with VSG being rundown or talked down to by someone who had Gastric Bypass).

I'm not going to name any names of groups, but I am a little aghast at the snotty attitudes and mean responses I've seen on many of these groups. Is it a moderator issue? I just do not get it.

I'm just loading this here comment as a PSA for those who frequent the bariatric FB groups: After about two days on some of the groups, I cannot help but notice that people such total douchebags to each other. Is it just a FB thing? It makes me appreciate all of y'all even more because this place (and the BF Facebook) is NOTHING like those places (and I mean that as a compliment). I don't know why those who have had WLS are so critical of those who are either A.) Still struggling with weight and maybe not ready to jump into WLS B.) Struggling with re-gain after WLS C.) Making mistakes with eating and food choices (because fucking DUHHHHH that is how we all got fat in the first place) D.) Aren't on the same WLS "team" as whoever is doing the criticizing (i.e.: Someone with VSG being rundown or talked down to by someone who had Gastric Bypass).

I'm not going to name any names of groups, but I am a little aghast at the snotty attitudes and mean responses I've seen on many of these groups. Is it a moderator issue? I just do not get it.
It's why I stay away from most non DS FB groups.

Are there other good DS ones? I'm sure I'll figure out which ones are which after a time. I just joined some of the largest ones, but they were not DS-specific. Maybe that's where I made a mistake.

Are there other good DS ones? I'm sure I'll figure out which ones are which after a time. I just joined some of the largest ones, but they were not DS-specific. Maybe that's where I made a mistake.

Southernlady is a moderator in a good one and Dr. K has a group. Fb WLS groups that is.

Some of those groups make me cringe. I try to avoid them. Way too many nasty judgmental people. And they tend to think EVERYTHING is related to WLS.

Just for example, someone I know slightly posted a pic of her swollen ankles. She is almost 15 years postop and OMG. They were screaming at her to get TPN and full labs done. They almost had her convinced she had malnutrition and was 1 step from death. I messaged her and said it was more likely from heat, almost 100 here, being over 60, and having a job where she was on her feet all the time. I told her to drink more, cut back on salt and get compression socks, at least for work. She's fine. A few hours in the ac with a glass of iced tea fixed her right up.

The point is that at 15 years out, the issue is not likely to be DS related. Not impossible but not likely either. Many of those groups are just off the wall!

Next mistake, I posted an ad for free keto chocolate nut bars. Only 8 carbs and 15gr protein. Great treat. Only took seconds for one of the boneheads to tell me I couldn't eat them because it was collagen protein and not complete. Sigh. Yes, it's collagen protein and yes, it is not complete. But I was not suggesting you should LIVE on them and eat them as your only source of protein. Besides, if you are eating other foods you will easily pick up the missing amino acids. But it just wasn't worth the keystrokes to try and explain it to her.

We all need common sense, critical thinking skills, and a sense of humor to live successfully with the DS!

Some of those groups make me cringe. I try to avoid them. Way too many nasty judgmental people. And they tend to think EVERYTHING is related to WLS.

Just for example, someone I know slightly posted a pic of her swollen ankles. She is almost 15 years postop and OMG. They were screaming at her to get TPN and full labs done. They almost had her convinced she had malnutrition and was 1 step from death. I messaged her and said it was more likely from heat, almost 100 here, being over 60, and having a job where she was on her feet all the time. I told her to drink more, cut back on salt and get compression socks, at least for work. She's fine. A few hours in the ac with a glass of iced tea fixed her right up.

The point is that at 15 years out, the issue is not likely to be DS related. Not impossible but not likely either. Many of those groups are just off the wall!

Next mistake, I posted an ad for free keto chocolate nut bars. Only 8 carbs and 15gr protein. Great treat. Only took seconds for one of the boneheads to tell me I couldn't eat them because it was collagen protein and not complete. Sigh. Yes, it's collagen protein and yes, it is not complete. But I was not suggesting you should LIVE on them and eat them as your only source of protein. Besides, if you are eating other foods you will easily pick up the missing amino acids. But it just wasn't worth the keystrokes to try and explain it to her.

We all need common sense, critical thinking skills, and a sense of humor to live successfully with the DS!

YESSS! It is exactly that kind of stuff I have noticed--and that is just in a few days. Ugh. Like I said, I am so grateful for this community. Y'all are amazing here ❤

Omg I saw that post about the keto bars! Like, seriously? Sounded good to me!

Latest posts

Back