Lower Body Lift on THURSDAY!!!

I wanted so much to reach out to you but didn't know what to say. Fortunately, @Settledownnow expressed what I was feeling so very well. Things do reshape with time and healing, and hopefully your surgeon will correct anything that he can as well.

I didn't want to whine although re-reading my post it sounds like I was. My intent is truly to help someone else manage their expectations if they get an LBL. The secret for happiness in life is to keep your expectations low and your wine consumption high.

Here's the thing: I'm not sure my surgeon botched the surgery.

Ok I feel the "oopsie" on the joining of the front and back incisions could have been avoided, although I must say I've seen this very same thing on RealSelf and no one complains about it. It would be covered by the low, mons-skimming bikinis people not as old as I wear; it's not covered by a one piece swim suit which tends to be worn a little higher on the leg. I'm using silicone scar cream/gel so maybe that will help. And again, my thighs are a puddled mess so my window for wearing a swim suit apparently ended in 2005 anyway -- I'm not sufficiently "screw 'em if they don't like to look at it", balls-to-the-wall bold to let all my floppy, wrinkly skin be exposed. I'm so transparently fair, I've spent most summers bundled up like Kenny on South Park just to protect myself from the sun.

The hole in my ass (not to be confused by my ass hole :) is related to the autologous augmentation, either directly as in the underlying tissue (my original ass) is too thick as it approaches the sides and is pulling the cheeks apart (unlikely as the skin was so thin) and/or indirectly as in this area is still very swollen which then has the same effect PLUS one has to be quite thin. Per the surgeons I consulted and looking on RealSelf, I am far thinner than the vast majority of people undergoing LBL. I don't think my surgeon has ever had this happen to a patient before and he has done hundreds of LBLs, but only a handful on someone as thin as me. Net net: I don't think he did anything wrong. It is still swollen and when I walk a distance I can feel the area below the incision getting tight (I guess from swelling -- feels like I'm wearing a weighted fanny pack) and then can feel my cheeks opening even further, not just at the mid longitude hole, but the base of the cheeks, too. In time the swelling may go down, the buttock skin not be pulled apart and the hole may close. If not it'll get fixed, maybe turning a small teardrop breast implant sideways?? I wish I was brave enough to post a picture of my butt!!

We all seem to end up with the flat ass post DS. This is not a function of weight loss per se as I have lost weight to this same scale number in the past but still had quite a butt. I'd say it has something to do with our fat malabsorption but I've seen RNYers reporting the same thing. So who knows. Anyway, when one has a lower body lift, the skin is pulled up in the back which makes one's ass even flatter which seems impossible. One either lives with that -- and every surgeon I consulted said he found it quite unattractive and clothes would not fit properly -- or one had an autologous augmentation using a double layer of one's own skin or fat injections from elsewhere (takes A LOT of fat and success rates for fat transfer anywhere in body after 1 year are only about 50/50 -- I wouldn't have done this for that reason, however I don't have enough fat to transfer. No doctor recommended fat transfer for a butt lift anyway) OR a Brazilian Butt Lift using artificial implants (one said this is all he recommends and showed me photos of Kardashian-like booty. I snorted with laughter. So NOT me.) If you want a butt with any sort of protrusion, you need BBL artificial implants. I did not. And if you get this big butt, you will need to buy all new clothes... again.

As for the baggy midriff, I'm still very tight and swollen. Although it looks to others like I am standing fully upright, I'm really only about 98%. I know I have to give this time. It may very well look better when I can put more tension on it. We'll see.

I had planned in August to get the breast lift with small implants, something done about the hideous platysma (vertical bands) in my neck, and my perpetual scowl from downturned mouth, but I'm afraid now. The esthetic bar for that surgery is very high for me. I may see a few more surgeons.

Thank you all for your kind thoughts. I'll post an update a month from now.

First of all, thank you for posting all of this. And it's good you have managed to keep your sense of humor. When we put ourselves through this much, we expect better results. I would be terribly disappointed to have a hole in my ass too. I am sure the thin, older person who used to be MO is every PS nightmare. My fingers were crossed for you and I was hoping you would get great results. I am still hoping you will see more improvement over time.

My personal wet dream is to go to someone like Agha or maybe Costa Rica or Brazil and just stay there till I was brand new. Not likely anything like that will ever happen. It took me years to save 10K in discretionary funds and just when I thought I had enough to do something, I have to spend it on a new roof. I am happy to have the money to do it but it sure wasn't how I wanted to spend it. Sigh! Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket. It's probably the same odds as me being able to ever save up enough money to to actually do it!

Ooo those great Agha butts. Or at least the ones he posts on his website. The butt pics on my doc's website are good, too. Kinda guessing mine won't be included!

The roof will never pay for your PS, but with PS you may bedazzle someone who will pay for your roof. PRIORITIES, @Munchkin. Just sayin'

aww @Clematis i am so sorry this is turning out differently than expected. i understand how over whelming it can be expecting something and results are different. in 2001 when I Had my 1st abdominalplasty. Honestly it looked as if Toot had decided to sew me closed. i don't even think he tried to make it look nice. But I felt thats what I had to deal with because he got insurance to pay. I'm praying and hoping that he is going to make it better once the swelling and everything goes down if it's not right THANKS for sharing.

Hi @Clematis, I'm so sorry that the results aren't what you were hoping for them to be, especially the hole, which sounds awful. :(

When I had abdominoplasty, I landed in the hospital with legs full of DVT from ankle to hips and multiple PE. Nearly killed me. My belly button is wildly off center, plus all of the work excepting the panniculectomy portion, was undone with my second baby a year and a half later, a wonderful surprise though she was, our happy news brought a return of the diastasis recti, etc. Guess you can share with me in being an expectation leveler for future plastic patients.

I really do hope time lifts and shifts and smooths and lightens in a big way, which can happen. All the best and know you are always beautiful.

@Clematis I wanted to check in with you on your healing process. Are you more happy with your appearance now that some time has passed? DId you decide to move forward with more plastics? I have my first consult next month.

I don't think I'm more happy, rather that I just don't care so much.

I have not done more plastics @Settledownnow. I'd really REALLY like to do my neck and lower face but I'm freaked that I'll have red scars around my ears until the day I die.

I won't bury the lead: am I glad I had an LBL? Yes. Although it didn't meet my expectations which I grant may have been too idealized, it did allow me to zip my pants without catching thin belly skin and my ass cheeks no longer droop into the toilet.

As for my LBL scars, they have faded quite a bit in back but are still rather red in front. It seems that if one were dark skinned they may hide better, although the surgeon said scars ultimately turn white and so hide better on alabaster skin like mine. Every surgeon I saw said my skin was "perfect" for hiding scars once they turn white but who knows how long that will be. (A dog bit me in the calf two years ago and its still red.) The color of the scars is of no importance though if they're always covered by clothes.

My midriff is still loose but my abdomen below the navel is flat. The belly button is still small and adorable -- far cuter than my original. My ass cheeks still look like parentheses with a gap between. My butt has sagged a bit so now the left cheek is sort of a double parenthesis. This isn't obvious in clothes. The autologous augmentation for which I think I paid $2k additional is merely a slight thickening, about 1-1/2" wide, running perpendicular to the top of my butt crack. (Not visible, but I can feel it with my fingers.) I really think I could have done without it.

My thighs are a swaying, wrinkled disaster from crotch to knees but these were not addressed by an LBL. I still feel that, for me, a knee to groin scar would be as embarrassing as the floppy skin so I will not have that surgery. I found long, snug shorts (clamdiggers) to tops of knees which hides all that. Swimming suits are not in my future. I look ok in clothes although my critical eye sees that the thighs are too thick b/c of the excess skin and the flat ass is odd looking, but one has seen plenty of women, especially older women, with this same flat ass.

My upper arms are not bothering me quite as much but it looks like I'm smuggling a pound of bread dough in my lower armpits. Most armholes are enormous on my small upper arms (and always have been) and always showed the sides of my bra and now the doughy puddles show. This really bothers me so I do not wear shirts with sleeves above the elbows. I have one sleeveless shirt with very small armholes which hides much of this, and if I keep my arms in the correct position, they don't look so bad. I'm considering seeing if I can sew up the armholes on a few sleeveless shirts to see if I can hide the dough. Surgery to remove the baggy skin in the lower armpit is apparently very difficult to fix as it's not the armpit but the skin around the entire torso that is causing it. I won't try surgery.

My unstuffed breasts look fine in a bra so the question is: how good do I want my breasts to look naked... when the thighs are still a saggy wrinkly mess, I have a red scar the circumference of my body and weird ass cheeks like parentheses. I'll have all of that if I have a breast lift PLUS a bright red lollypop/anchor scar around and down each areola and have a better than 50% chance of losing all feeling in them. Is it worth it just to have breasts that stand up without a bra?

I just turned 65. I have younger friends who have never been overweight in their lives and yet their faces/arms/breasts look as bad as or worse than mine. (Uh, but I do win the saggy thigh contest.) The truth is, I really look awesome for my age and I feel great so I think I'm done slicing and dicing.

I'm glad you are feeling great and look awesome for your age! You should not have buried those lines. Not getting your skin caught in your jeans or having your ass hang into the toilet are great benefits. Just those two factors alone make the surgery worth it.

I am 55, and I see the sags and bags from weight loss and middle age. But the truth is that most people think I am much younger than my real age. I have to remind myself that being healthy is what is important. It seems to be part of the WLS journey -- deciding between what you need to change and what you can accept, not only physically, but in your life.

Thanks for sharing this part of your journey!

I'm glad you are feeling great and look awesome for your age! You should not have buried those lines. Not getting your skin caught in your jeans or having your ass hang into the toilet are great benefits. Just those two factors alone make the surgery worth it.

I am 55, and I see the sags and bags from weight loss and middle age. But the truth is that most people think I am much younger than my real age. I have to remind myself that being healthy is what is important. It seems to be part of the WLS journey -- deciding between what you need to change and what you can accept, not only physically, but in your life.

Thanks for sharing this part of your journey!

This is so true and well said!

There is much to be said for being OK with where you are. And it's far too easy to be hypercritical. I won't ever be perfect, even if I won the lottery tomorrow and that's OK. I think we need to think carefully when we compare ourselves to others. I try really hard to compare myself only to other old bags!

it's hard, though, at some level I realized I thought after weight loss I would have the face of a 20 something person back and so when I didn't: :(

Latest posts

Back