Lower Body Lift on THURSDAY!!!

Clematis

My Sharpei will be dead on Thursday. This swaying belly, thigh and ass skin that has been dogging me will be down the disposer. SO excited!!! I was in Europe for the past month where toilets were not as clean as I would like and it grossed me out to discover my thighs were puddling over the sides of the toilet seat and on to the icky porcelain. Never again.

I'm getting the full abdominoplasty (stomach muscles will be tightened, not just skin removal) and have been told that is the part that will be the most painful and debilitating. However the surgeon tells me he doesn't tighten the muscles the same way for someone my age (64) as for someone half my age who might want a coin to bounce off their belly. He says that if he did, I would not be able to stand upright for three months and my back would be screaming. He is taking a "scoop" out of pubis to lift the saggy girly bits a little. This guy does nice little navels. (some surgeons make friggin' portholes)

He is going to do autologous butt augmentation which means he will cut at the base of my ass (or where it should be) then haul up the skin from the backs of thighs and stitch it in line with the top of butt crack. I vacillated about agreeing to this but both he and his assistant said my flat ass would be even flatter after the LBL and I could look deformed without a little something. After a lifetime of having and being called a fat ass, I have become fond of my flat butt and have told him be can only create a baby butt - just enough to keep underpants from riding up. PS: an LBL will not help my draping inner thighs, which must be addressed in another surgery.

Note: some surgeons define LBL as merely a tummy tuck with a belt lipectomy where they remove a paltry inch or two of skin in the lower back - no butt or thigh lift included. I interviewed a surgeon who was only going to do that useless surgery (i don't really have excess skin on my hips as its all dropped south) but who insisted it was a "lower body lift". One has to grill plastic surgeons as thoroughly as we do DS surgeons.

I was originally booked for LBL and breast lift but decided 8 hours under general anesthetic was too much. I'll go back later this summer for breast lift and lower face lift and inner thighs. I am not going to do my arms.

My surgeon does not use Exparel as he says it is way too expensive (the wholesale price is $500) and percocet at home works just as well. Besides I will be in the hospital overnight and he says I can even stay a second night if I'm not ready so I'll be where they can give me IV morphine. Exparel is good for drive-by surgeries where one goes from a surgery center recovery room to home. I have hired an RN to be with me for 3 days post-op and deal with the drains but I'm hoping I will be feeling ok enough to let her go after the first day.

(To make this surgery utterly perfect, it would be groovy if I could pass a kidney stone or two or three while unconscious.)

SUPPLY LIST:

I have a walker left over from my father (who never used it). I don't know if I'll need it but some have said they did.

I bought a down-n-dirty power recliner/lift chair from Overstock ($325 delivered) when I learned that a medical supply company would charge $250 rental for 2 weeks... and another $250 if I rented it again at the end of the summer. Not the most attractive thing, nor would it fit a big guy, but hey I'm 5'5" and now only weigh 123 (!!!) so it fits me fine. I had just wanted a recliner but now I realize just how great the lift chair part of it will be. It practically stands me fully upright! I'm going to live in it 24/7 for this surgery and the next surgery and then hide it away in a guest bedroom or sell it on CraigsList.

I already had a bazillion disposable bed pads that a late elderly dog used as piddle pads.

I have a supply of "female urinary devices" -- essentially cardboard hotdog buns through which I can pee standing up. But I also have an over-the-toilet seat with arms for um, things that must happen sitting.

I have both a plastic in-shower seat and a fancy, metal shower seat that one sits on outside the shower and then can slide into shower. I also have two plastic salon drapes -- one for front and back -- so my sutures won't get wet and someone can wash my hair. (I can't go 10 days without washing my hair.) I have a porcelain bidet but don't know if I get down on it as it is lower than the toilet. I may have to wash nether regions with hand held in the shower.

I have a plethora of too-big baggy pants and underpants to go over swollen and tender body and that can be ruined with sanguineous fluids.

Can anyone think of anything else I may need?

I was nervous when I was going to do both breast lift and LBL at the same time but am utterly calm for just the LBL. I like the idea of being able to push up with my arms and pecs when my abs are screaming.

Wish me luck!

Sounds like you have more than planned this out. I hope the results are everything you want, perhaps minus the kidney stone passage.

So excited for you!! You have planned well. Please be sure review your surgeon later on the plastics forum. I live a few of hours from you and would love to have a resource if I cannot find a surgeon a little closer.

Very excited for you!!! How awesome. I hope it's everything you want. I'm about a year behind you.

Good luck to you! I had a lower body lift & breast lift in 2010 (10hrs, outpatient surgery). I couldn't stand up straight for about 10days. I left surgery with a pain pump & in a body suit.
I required help getting in & out of bed for about 8 days.

Advise:
1. TAKE EVERYTHING SLOW! Pain, discomfort, meds, sutures will force you to move slow, but think long & hard before making the slightest move.

2. Everything hurts, (sneezing sucks). Eat slowly & thoughtfully. Stick with familar foods cuz the absolute last thing you want is nausea/vomiting. I mindlessly ate a french fry...2 french fries, got nauseous, wretched & w/each wretch saw stars & preferred the idea of death. Never threw up....wretching was hell enough. Thank God it only happened 1x.

3. Stay on stool softeners because you won't want to push.

4. Keep everything in hands reach, which means in the bed with you or on a side table perfectly positioned, so all you have to do is extend your arm.

5. Disposable wasclothes (larger, thicker and better than baby wipes). Some can be heated up.

6. Pls sit down for 1st shower. Happy you have a shower chair. I didn't think about that, became lightedheaded ( the heat probably didn't help) & heart started racing, thought i was going to pass out. Put a stool in the shower after that. Great if you have a handheld shower head.

Days are long when you are bedbound or house bound w/limited mobility.
7. Plan to binge watch, read, play games, hobby.... Schedule visitors.

Once I slowed up on pain meds (3-5days post op), was awake more hrs in a day (6-8 days post op) and able to move w/ less assistance ( cant remember) cabin fever hit & i started to get a little stir crazy. My mother & then boyfriend kept me busy but it was hard after awhile, cabin fever was REAL! All in all, I had no complications & was back to work in a month.

Recover patiently, your body has a huge healing job ahead so be still & let the body do its work. With every action remember I CANNOT FALL!!! Or if positive framing works better think " I WILL NOT FALL" whichever version works best, just make sure you have the proper supports in place to guard against falls.

Again, HAPPY SURGERY & RECOVERY! I'm excited for you.

My Sharpei will be dead on Thursday. This swaying belly, thigh and ass skin that has been dogging me will be down the disposer. SO excited!!! I was in Europe for the past month where toilets were not as clean as I would like and it grossed me out to discover my thighs were puddling over the sides of the toilet seat and on to the icky porcelain. Never again.

I'm getting the full abdominoplasty (stomach muscles will be tightened, not just skin removal) and have been told that is the part that will be the most painful and debilitating. However the surgeon tells me he doesn't tighten the muscles the same way for someone my age (64) as for someone half my age who might want a coin to bounce off their belly. He says that if he did, I would not be able to stand upright for three months and my back would be screaming. He is taking a "scoop" out of pubis to lift the saggy girly bits a little. This guy does nice little navels. (some surgeons make friggin' portholes)

He is going to do autologous butt augmentation which means he will cut at the base of my ass (or where it should be) then haul up the skin from the backs of thighs and stitch it in line with the top of butt crack. I vacillated about agreeing to this but both he and his assistant said my flat ass would be even flatter after the LBL and I could look deformed without a little something. After a lifetime of having and being called a fat ass, I have become fond of my flat butt and have told him be can only create a baby butt - just enough to keep underpants from riding up. PS: an LBL will not help my draping inner thighs, which must be addressed in another surgery.

Note: some surgeons define LBL as merely a tummy tuck with a belt lipectomy where they remove a paltry inch or two of skin in the lower back - no butt or thigh lift included. I interviewed a surgeon who was only going to do that useless surgery (i don't really have excess skin on my hips as its all dropped south) but who insisted it was a "lower body lift". One has to grill plastic surgeons as thoroughly as we do DS surgeons.

I was originally booked for LBL and breast lift but decided 8 hours under general anesthetic was too much. I'll go back later this summer for breast lift and lower face lift and inner thighs. I am not going to do my arms.

My surgeon does not use Exparel as he says it is way too expensive (the wholesale price is $500) and percocet at home works just as well. Besides I will be in the hospital overnight and he says I can even stay a second night if I'm not ready so I'll be where they can give me IV morphine. Exparel is good for drive-by surgeries where one goes from a surgery center recovery room to home. I have hired an RN to be with me for 3 days post-op and deal with the drains but I'm hoping I will be feeling ok enough to let her go after the first day.

(To make this surgery utterly perfect, it would be groovy if I could pass a kidney stone or two or three while unconscious.)

SUPPLY LIST:

I have a walker left over from my father (who never used it). I don't know if I'll need it but some have said they did.

I bought a down-n-dirty power recliner/lift chair from Overstock ($325 delivered) when I learned that a medical supply company would charge $250 rental for 2 weeks... and another $250 if I rented it again at the end of the summer. Not the most attractive thing, nor would it fit a big guy, but hey I'm 5'5" and now only weigh 123 (!!!) so it fits me fine. I had just wanted a recliner but now I realize just how great the lift chair part of it will be. It practically stands me fully upright! I'm going to live in it 24/7 for this surgery and the next surgery and then hide it away in a guest bedroom or sell it on CraigsList.

I already had a bazillion disposable bed pads that a late elderly dog used as piddle pads.

I have a supply of "female urinary devices" -- essentially cardboard hotdog buns through which I can pee standing up. But I also have an over-the-toilet seat with arms for um, things that must happen sitting.

I have both a plastic in-shower seat and a fancy, metal shower seat that one sits on outside the shower and then can slide into shower. I also have two plastic salon drapes -- one for front and back -- so my sutures won't get wet and someone can wash my hair. (I can't go 10 days without washing my hair.) I have a porcelain bidet but don't know if I get down on it as it is lower than the toilet. I may have to wash nether regions with hand held in the shower.

I have a plethora of too-big baggy pants and underpants to go over swollen and tender body and that can be ruined with sanguineous fluids.

Can anyone think of anything else I may need?

I was nervous when I was going to do both breast lift and LBL at the same time but am utterly calm for just the LBL. I like the idea of being able to push up with my arms and pecs when my abs are screaming.

Wish me luck!
I wondered when you were getting home from travels! I certainly do wish you luck. If preparedness equals a great and easy surgery then you've got it made.

Happy transformation! You got so much great advice. I second making sure you've got plenty to keep your mind occupied during your recovery--set the binge watching list ahead of time. Here's to the new you, the death of the Sharpei, and a quick and uneventful recovery!

Thanks everybody.

@Settledownnow I'll be sure and keep you posted.

@Toya C Cannot believe you had 10 hrs of surgery as an outpatient!!! I was quoted only 8 hrs for LBL and breasts WITH an overnight hospital stay and still opted to do breasts at a later date as I was worried about brain damage. (Of course reading that you survived I'm thinking I should call the guy and add the breasts back on.) After DS I was utterly pain free... as long as I didn't move. I assume this will much the same.

Yeah I'm a little concerned about puking so, once home, will only be eating foods I know are safe. I'm even bringing a protein drink and yogurt to the hospital as I don't want to risk vomiting, diarrhea or terrible gas with their food. (It is not worth trying to explain my diet to them when I will only be there overnight and unlikely to eat anything the first night anyway.)

I was in Europe for a month so the DVR is quite full, plus there's always OnDemand, Netflix and Amazon Prime. I have the Kindle loaded as well but that's for after the opioids are done as I'll never remember what I read. I will have my waterlily and sarasota comet ponds awakened for the summer so can always sit out on the deck and watch the waterfalls, fountains, fish and birds once I can make it down the stairs. But I can blow a whole day with a laptop and internet connection so I'm not too worried about that. I'm usually very active so I'm more concerned about getting flabby while sitting around for a month. Or gaining weight. :eek:

you have everything in order. if you don't mind me being nosey is insurance paying this entire prcedure?

is insurance paying this entire prcedure

HAHAHA!!!!! Surely you jest!! Not a dime will they pay.

My insurance specifically excludes skin removal for those who have WLS (which they also do not pay for), which made me wonder how they can prove how the weight was lost? It goes on to also require skin erosion (I do not have rashes or ulcerations). I considered creating a rash in the belly flap but the third requirement was that the excess skin had to prevent normal ambulation and function but mine is not that bad. I *only* lost 110# so I do not have islands of excess skin, just significant draping like a swaying theatre curtain. Yes my ab muscles are separated but I do not have a hernia through it so that part wasn't gonna fly, either. My attorney husband pointed out that fighting for "reconstructive surgery" as is now required in California would mean years in court and with invasive photos of my naked flesh on display for all associated with the case. I wasn't interested in the time or the exposure.

Hey, it's just a half year of retirement funds. I'll try to check out 6 months ahead of schedule.

Between now and going NPO, protein load. It will help healing.

It's a tricky balance. Too much protein and yet MORE kidney stones form.

I am starting arnica and bromelain which is supposed to help reduce bruising. I've stopped vitamin E supplements outside of what is in multi. Some recommend stopping zinc but my zinc levels are a little dicey to begin with. I will not take my Wednesday evening vites and of course not any Thursday vites except for COLACE (!!!) as morphine/percocet will turn my bowels to stone, and PPI.

Latest posts

Back