Low Cholesterol?

Meep

So, I have 1 million questions, but I am still working my way through forum backlog. One question I had, is how does your total cholesterol measure up post-op? I am curious because my cholesterol dropped drastically low after the VSG. It's 96. I currently eat a higher fat diet that's been modified to be more protein heavy (80g protein a day, the rest fat, 15g of carbs max). Despite that, my cholesterol plummets. My bachelor's degree was originally in biochemistry, so I know it's probably a function of insulin lowering since my T2D is in remission (fasting BS is 74, and A1C is down to 4.7 from 8.1 last year). Nonetheless, I was wondering if the DS cause it to further plummet? I've read studies where it does resolve hyperlipidemia, but in the text of many it is unclear if it is due to the surgery or a confounding factor such as an altered lower carb diet.

People may be surprised I worry about super low cholesterol, but there are many correlations between depression (which I have) and lower cholesterol. Of course, correlations don't equal causation. I will pursue the DS regardless after much analysis, but I am what my former professor jokingly calls "terminally curious," of course.

upload_2016-10-20_23-15-41.png

I copied my total cholesterol readings for the last few years. Several of the readings are around 6 months apart. As you can see, they did drop considerably post DS, as I hoped they would. However, they have come back to within range. I would be surprised if completing your DS would cause yours to "plummet" further. I have seen a few of us working to bring our "good" cholesterol up but, I haven't seen anyone who was seriously concerned over a too low cholesterol total. I suppose there is always a troublemaker though. :)

As low as yours is right now, I don't see yours plummeting after the DS. Dropping a few points, maybe. But it also could come back up a few points like NA's did in her graph above.

My bachelor's degree was originally in biochemistry, so I know it's probably a function of insulin lowering since my T2D is in remission (fasting BS is 74, and A1C is down to 4.7 from 8.1 last year).
My total cholesterol is the lowest ever right now than it was even pre-op on Lipitor. Mine is now 145 total (lowest it got pre-op was 179). I probably am the zebra in this but lowering cholesterol did not lower my A1C. In fact, over the last year, it has risen back up. Lowest I saw since my DS was 5.7, now it's back to a 7.4.

I'm actually surprised my A1C and BS fell so quick after just the VSG. I am the rare lucky person.

Thank you so much for all of the replies!

I looked it up, I'm 10 years out and my total cholesterol was 153 in 2014 and 150 in 2015, it's something I never think about.

I am a little over 3 years post DS and 1 year post revision to improve absorption and my cholesterol has been pretty steady around 100. I haven't has a lipid panel for awhile or an A1C. Lipids don't worry me but I probably am due. I don't get A1C checked because I am anemic and with blood cells dieing off it invaliases the test. Last several A1C readings were less tha 4 but my fasting glucose is always around 80-85 so I don't worry.

Once I get the rest of my shit straightened out I might take a look at cholesterol.

Latest posts

Back