Low carb versus moderate carb

CaitlynR

Aspiring Wizard
I am recently transitioning from full liquids to actual food. I had originally planned to do the very low carb/ ketosis thing of 30 or so net carbs per day. However, I just don't think I can do it. I am thinking more of a moderate, lower carb plan, like 100 g a day. Anyone have research on outcomes after the switch or wls in general and carb counts?

I am recently transitioning from full liquids to actual food. I had originally planned to do the very low carb/ ketosis thing of 30 or so net carbs per day. However, I just don't think I can do it. I am thinking more of a moderate, lower carb plan, like 100 g a day. Anyone have research on outcomes after the switch or wls in general and carb counts?
Each person finds their own way on this. Some do eat around 100 grams (total NOT NET). and lose fine. Others can gain weight on that much a day. Also depends on what carbs those are from. I don't worry over dairy carbs. I do concern myself over all other carbs (bread, pasta, fruit, sugar).

Also, don't bother counting net carbs, count total. Net is voodoo math. It's a made up term by the Atkins people to "sell" their products. http://archives.diabetesforecast.org/2010/aug/what-are-net-carbs.html

Also beware of anything ending in -itol on the list of ingredients. Three words describe that reaction: Chemical Shit Storm.

Last edited:
There are a couple of things to consider. Carbs not only can result in slowing weight loss but can also result in gas, bloat, and lots of pooping for many. This is the time when you want to establish healthy eating habits also in order to maintain your weight loss.

Realistically, I do not believe you will have room for 100 grams of carbs this early out because you need to concentrate on getting 30 grams of protein at 30 days, 60 grams of protein at 60 days, 90 grams of protein at 90 days, and then a bit more in the long run. Protein always comes first. You should also be drinking at least 64 ounces of water. If you have room after you eat your protein have a bite or two of something else. I never deny myself something I want, but I do limit it to just a bite or two of carbs/starches.

I am terrible at counting specific amounts of carbs, etc. I find it too difficult unless I am eating packaged stuff in "typical" servings. I just want to have a few crackers with my chicken salad and a (half) tortilla with my (half) sandwich. I would love some apple and almond butter...which I know will be a quarter or half apple. Or maybe even at some point bake the apple and put a dollop of real sugar whipped cream on top. Reading ultra low carb stuff this is impossible, but I was also thinking "normal" portions not the small ones I am eating now. You're probably right, 100g is small for a pre-op person but now I would have a hard time eating that on purpose (of course, prioritizing protein and not just eating cake or something).

Some people can eat 100gr carbs per day and meet their goals. Others can't. No way to say which group you will fall into. However you only have X time to lose weight pretty effortlessly after that it becomes hard work. It's NOT give up carbs forever, it's give up carbs till you are 10% below goal.

All of this is your decision and your choice. Just as long as you are aware eating tortillas, crackers, and bread may mean you run out of weightloss before you run out of fat.

I am terrible at counting specific amounts of carbs, etc. I find it too difficult unless I am eating packaged stuff in "typical" servings. I just want to have a few crackers with my chicken salad and a (half) tortilla with my (half) sandwich. I would love some apple and almond butter...which I know will be a quarter or half apple. Or maybe even at some point bake the apple and put a dollop of real sugar whipped cream on top. Reading ultra low carb stuff this is impossible, but I was also thinking "normal" portions not the small ones I am eating now. You're probably right, 100g is small for a pre-op person but now I would have a hard time eating that on purpose (of course, prioritizing protein and not just eating cake or something).

You could eat a couple of crackers with chicken salad. Dr. K. once early on me that I did not have to deny myself anything, but to only have a bite or two, and focus on protein and hydration. I found that advice to be very helpful as it gives some variety but keeps carbs in check.

When I was very new post op, I would let myself have 5 or 6 saltines with my chicken salad. They are a pretty low carb cracker, they settled my stomach a bit, and I dunno, I'm weird and I love them. On the days when eating felt more like "taking medicine", those few crackers a day were my saving grace.

I'm not very carb sensitive. For those that are, the few crackers a day could be a painful misstep. My stepmom, who had the DS 11 years ago, told me that when she was newly switched, even the bread crumbs in most meatball recipes would send her running for the bathroom. Take it slowly!

So far so good with anything I have eaten. This includes crackers (like two) and apple (like one slice). Everything else was meat/meat salad. I have to admit having some regular Gatorade though as I do feel more hydrated when I have some but that may be psychological. I water it down though so one has lasted 3 days. I will turn back to infused water though as I feel like I am doing better hydration (and calorie!) wise. I had a couple days when it took all my will to consume anything (causing mild dehydration and getting very low calories) and it took a few days to recover from that.

I'm with Dr. K's philosophy. I am all about balance personally and professionally. I don't like black and white thinking that goes into having some foods forbidden (not tolerating is of course a different matter). If I really want something, I will have a bite or two. But I will also pass if presented with dessert most days (when back at work, it means turning down desserts most days).

I am honestly not sure how I feel about being ok with less weight loss. I have been obese all my adult life. Going from obese to overweight sounds awesome. Not even being overweight sounds like fantasy genie territory. Of course I would want it but can't even wrap my head around it currently.

However, I don't think it is a choice for me to be ultra low carb for several months. I don't do extremes well. The times I lost a good amount of weight were always more balanced, choosing healthier options and moderate exercise, not a strict diet and an intense exercise program. The times I have been stricter were fairly brief and were not good for my mental health.

I know this is hard, but I think you are overthinking this. You are going to have to test and see what works for you. I eat about 75 grams of Carbs a day, and I loose weight. I'm just careful and think of carbs as a treat, so I don't eat that much, but I don't go crazy about it either. I don't count either and I'm far from perfect.

You need what works for you and then follow that.

There are a couple of things to consider. Carbs not only can result in slowing weight loss but can also result in gas, bloat, and lots of pooping for many. This is the time when you want to establish healthy eating habits also in order to maintain your weight loss.

Realistically, I do not believe you will have room for 100 grams of carbs this early out because you need to concentrate on getting 30 grams of protein at 30 days, 60 grams of protein at 60 days, 90 grams of protein at 90 days, and then a bit more in the long run. Protein always comes first. You should also be drinking at least 64 ounces of water. If you have room after you eat your protein have a bite or two of something else. I never deny myself something I want, but I do limit it to just a bite or two of carbs/starches.

Just out of curiosity, why do carbs make us poop more frequently?

Some people can eat 100gr carbs per day and meet their goals. Others can't. No way to say which group you will fall into. However you only have X time to lose weight pretty effortlessly after that it becomes hard work. It's NOT give up carbs forever, it's give up carbs till you are 10% below goal.

All of this is your decision and your choice. Just as long as you are aware eating tortillas, crackers, and bread may mean you run out of weightloss before you run out of fat.

I've never been able to get a clear answer to this, so I'm going to try again:

What if you were a trooper until you were 10% below goal and then started eating carbs? Wouldn't you put on weight THEN? If so, what's the difference between eating some carbs while you're losing or eating them after you've lost? Wouldn't it balance out the same in the end?

Last edited:
I've never been able to get a clear answer to this, so I'm going to try again:

What if you were a trooper until you were 10% below goal and then started eating carbs? Wouldn't you put on weight THEN? If so, what's the difference between eating some carbs while you're losing or eating them after you've lost? Wouldn't it balance out the same in the end?
No, cause then you may never get to goal if eating too many/wrong kind for us while still in the rapid weight loss phase.

The veterans here will give you the best advice and it is advice I recommend you follow. I'm about to hit 4 months post op. My general rule for eating is that I hit my protein AND fat intake goals first. Some days I can eat kind of a lot of food. This week, I've been struggling with loss of appetite. When I get hungry, I become ravenous, then I sit down to eat and can't finish my food. That has me compensating with protein drinks (which I hate). My own take on the whole newly post-op carb intake thing is that A.) Like @Caitlunn recommended, take it slowly B.) Hit your protein and fat intake goals before you eat the carby thingies. As a DSer, your body NEEDS the protein and the fat, it does not NEED the carbs--at least not in a way that justifies eating the carbs before you've hit your protein and fat requirements. C.) When you do elect to eat the carby things, try to still with the lower glycemic variety, which may help you avert the gas/digestive issues. D.) Recognize that some days your eating will be more on target than on others and that means making sure you always make protein and fat a priority because you will have times when it's more difficult to meet your needs on those. You want to make sure your protein levels are shored up in the event you find yourself having a hard time getting it all in. That's just my take from my own experience. I would honestly be less concerned with whether the carbs are going to make you gain or lose more slowly and more concerned with whether eating the carbs compromises your protein and fat intake.

Latest posts

Back