Low BP & Severe dehydration

Rania Sherif

so yesterday I ended up in hospital. I collapsed at work and when paramedics came by blood pressure was 50/37 !!! Was taken to hospital an after 4 hours they managed to put me on IVs. I was severely dehydrated.
I still cannot eat any solids. Still on the shake in the morning and maybe yoghurt at night. My water is still low. I throw up any solid food I eat. Hospital referred me to a GI but I haven't seen him yet. I am wondering how long is this gonna go for. I m really down and starting to regret this while VS.

so yesterday I ended up in hospital. I collapsed at work and when paramedics came by blood pressure was 50/37 !!! Was taken to hospital an after 4 hours they managed to put me on IVs. I was severely dehydrated.
I still cannot eat any solids. Still on the shake in the morning and maybe yoghurt at night. My water is still low. I throw up any solid food I eat. Hospital referred me to a GI but I haven't seen him yet. I am wondering how long is this gonna go for. I m really down and starting to regret this while VS.

Rather than a GI, did you talk with your surgeon? As Southern Lady said your number one job is to stay hydrated. Try different types of liquids (broths, flavored water or drinks, etc.) and different temps (cold, warm). At two months out, you should be "eating" more (soft or pureed foods, whatever was recommended by your surgeon for this stage).

I agree you should call the surgeon tomorrow morning and explain what you are able to eat and tell him about your dehdrationepisode.
I had this happen early on. It was 90 degrees and I was stuck on a bus without air conditioning in a traffic jam. Diarrhea in the morning. Like you I ended up in the ER with very low BP. Dehydration happens more quickly after DS. Even now, I am traveling and find it harder to drink or eat as regularly as usual so I start each day when traveling with a powdered electrolyte drink (Vitalyte).
It's a learning process. You have radically altered your gut. Fluids first.

(She had VSG not DS.)

The issue is you are simply not drinking enough fluids. Can you swallow one sip every 5 minutes, all day long, instead of trying to guzzle an entire glass a few times a day? Hold a water bottle in your hand all the time until sipping is second nature.

And although carbs are not our friend, weight wise, crackers may digest for you and the sodium in them may help your blood pressure.

You will feel so much better when you get your fluids WAY up and introduce a little sodium.

During the VSG surgery (and DS), the vagus nerve may get traumatized in some people which can disrupt normal esophageal sphincter functioning and gastric emptying resulting in pain and vomiting. (This happened to me, too.) It can take months for the nerve to recover.

I can't get hold of the surgeon! I sent him numerous times and he did not reply. He does not pick up his phone either. In any case he is way back in the Middle East and i am here in Canada. I am waiting for the referral because it will also be a gastric surgeon. I hope this goes fast.
I started increasing my water intake slowly as I cannot still jug down a whole cup at once. I am sipping every 10 mins in hopes this will be good

I can't get hold of the surgeon! I sent him numerous times and he did not reply. He does not pick up his phone either. In any case he is way back in the Middle East and i am here in Canada. I am waiting for the referral because it will also be a gastric surgeon. I hope this goes fast.
I started increasing my water intake slowly as I cannot still jug down a whole cup at once. I am sipping every 10 mins in hopes this will be good
Try sipping about a teaspoon full every 2 mins. Sip during commercials when watching TV. You do not want to go more than 5 mins between sips of fluid.

Latest posts

Back