Looking forward to a better quality of life

mobabe

Hi,
I am scheduled for surgery this Friday, Feb 10 in Raleigh, NC with Dr. Enochs. Looking forward to a better quality of life!

Good luck! First day is hard. First week a little less hard. Then it gets better. Life gets great.

Welcome!
I share @DianaCox 's concern. I looked at his webpage and it's a little confusing. He has two diagrams, one of a true, standard of care DS and the other of the SADI/aka SIPS/aka loop DS. To his credit, he mentions that the SADI is newer (I would add experimental) and that insurance won't always cover it (because it's experimental). Also, he describes doing a 300 cm common channel, apparently even with a real 2 anastomosis DS, which he feels is the "sweet spot" to avoid what he calls downsides, but which most of us here would strongly say is far too long of a common channel.
I realize it's almost your surgery day and you probably have done every test known to mankind, jumped through all the hoops and have all your plans in place, but I would strongly recommend you learn more about the difference between these procedures (if you haven't already), understand that the DS with 2 anastomoses is standard of care and the SADI/aka SIPS/aka loop DS is experimental and long term results are unknown. Also, understand that the long term studies of the DS involving large groups of patients that document excellent results were done with a common channel usually 100 - 125 cm, not 300. I have not seen any long term studies with such a long common channel. I would not have found that to be acceptable. I wanted the operation with the documented excellent long term statistics and nothing else. You will have to decide for yourself what is acceptable to you.

And - it is your RIGHT to have the procedure you want, and if Enochs is not willing to do that, RUN AWAY. There are other surgeons who will. This surgery is for the rest of your life.

Hi,
I am scheduled for surgery this Friday, Feb 10 in Raleigh, NC with Dr. Enochs. Looking forward to a better quality of life!
Hi and welcome @mobabe. Glad you are here! Wishing you a textbook surgery tomorrow and smooth recovery. Let us know how you're doing.

PS: I'll be in Raleigh this weekend for a wedding. Looking forward to the forecasted 70 degree weather there instead of the heavy snow we have here in Philadelphia today!

Best of luck to you in pinning dr down on exactly what surgery he will perform and for an easy recovery. If you don't like what he tells you be firm and either he dies what YOU want or no surgery!

Latest posts

Back