1. Please review your surgery details found under your profile.
  2. We have many with MIA Avatars. If you are missing yours, please reload it. Use a browser you normally do not use to check. List is in Announcements: http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/missing-avatars.5131/

Long-term Vets (5+ years) Gratitude Thread

Discussion in 'Duodenal Switch' started by DianaCox, Dec 14, 2016.

sheribearmama

sheribearmama New Member

I had no idea how hard it was going to be to get Kaiser and Belzberg to agree to that surgery. He'd only performed 2 or 3 prior to me. Bookfaery and I felt like we were blazing that trail! Kaiser made it so much more difficult that it had to be and Gary was very nervous about the long term ramifications of that surgery. He grilled me over and over about what I knew of the recovery and life-long commitment. It warms my heart to hear that you (and others I'm sure) were able to get the surgery as well!!! When did you have your surgery?

Marquis Mark

Marquis Mark Well-Known Member

I had my DS a year ago. Kaiser had done my sleeve six years earlier but it "stretched" within 8 months and I only kept off about 30 pounds. Many years later, I went back in. The same doctor who had done my sleeve offered to revise me to RNY, but then I started doing some research and decided the DS was a better bet. Told them I wanted to see Belzberg. I went in well-researched and with a clipboard full of questions. Once he saw I had done my homework, he approved right then and there. He told me he wouldn't do the surgery on anyone who doesn't know more about it than he does. Good answer, I thought. I think he had done at least a dozen before me so he didn't seem so anxious by the time he got to me. Thanks for blazing the trail! They still don't advertise the DS. It's like the secret menu at In-and-Out.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
    JuliaDS, Bagaof4 and Jbandmmomma like this.
    bearmom

bearmom Well-Known Member

It's like the secret menu at In-and-Out.

Lol. Now you will need to use the secret menu for the meat, meat and meat with cheese.

JuliaDS and JackieOnLine like this.
    Razbry

Razbry Well-Known Member

I'm a fifteen year graduate from the great Dr. Hess himself. Over all, I am grateful that I no longer wake up every day and feel like a failure. The everyday struggle to find balance in my life is pretty much over. I now wake up every day free from the burden that we all know so well. I enjoy life now with a depth I never imagined before this surgery.

joanlaptods

joanlaptods Member

I am almost 6 years out, my life is so normal I sometimes forget to be grateful to the DS that did it for me. Sometimes I forget what it felt like to be judged negatively for weight, what it felt like to be out of breath and limited in what I could do. This post reminds me of all that and so my gratitude for my DS and my current life is difficult to put into words, overwhelming is the closest one that comes to mind. IMG_1858.JPG

Stefanie S.

Stefanie S. Well-Known Member

Powerful statements! I can hardly wait...

JuliaDS likes this.
    Stefanie S.

I'm so ready! I don't call ahead, but I just panic about it. And I always get in front of our group and try to discretely say, "Table please."

JuliaDS likes this.
    Stefanie S.

This. Yes.

JuliaDS likes this.