Long Term Poor Nutrition

Lilyofthevalley

Revived & Revitalized
So I have been dealing with a Heath issue, non DS related, where I have struggled to get in enough solid food over the last 5 weeks. This means my protein intake has been much lower some days than it should be. I have consumed mostly jello, vegetable juice, broth soups, and what solid protein and protein shakes I could get in. Until the last few days I kept the fluid intake up to fairly normal, amounts or above

Everyone gets sick now or then and deals with a health issue where they can not eat their normal healthy way. So what have some of you done to deal with this in the past? How long can one go with low protein intake before they should worry? I have noticed that a lot of liquid foods advertised as protein supplements are just not that high in protein. I probably have another week or two of this.

The concern I have right now is that I am temporarily only able to eat like I did in those first weeks after the DS, a few bites at a time. So there just isn't enough room in me, or time in the day to get in all the Nutrician I need. Thanks for any input.

Liquid forms of protein, I guess - but you should try to eat solid food as soon as possible, now that the medical issues have been addressed. Advance your diet through the stages like you did immediately post-op, only faster if you can. Full liquid soups, mashed potatoes/pintos and cheese, yoghurt, eggs, egg drop soup, tuna, chicken salad with mayo - just try to advance quickly to eating regularly, without getting caught up in being afraid of eating.

I think this is a legitimate concern that any of us could possibly face at some time in our lives. I'm currently experiencing a temporary health situation where I can't eat dense foods which of course includes my protein rich foods. However, liquids and very soft foods are fine. What I have been doing is consuming protein drinks, which I make with just enough liquid to make it drinkable, usually around 4 or 5 ounces so that I get the protein in even if I don't have much room for a lot of liquid at one time. I also rely on a lot of egg drop soups with different flavored broths to make it interesting. Swanson now offers Hot and Sour broth, Thai Ginger broth, Chicken Tortilla soup broth, in addition to Chicken broth. It's at least some variety. Thankfully I can also eat soft eggs, yogurt, ricotta, cottage cheese, etc.

It's times like these that I am very glad I keep my nutrition levels strongly in the normal ranges so that if I hit a patch such as the one I am in temporarily I know I'm not going in at a deficit.

I'm heading to a patch like this coming up this spring...will be back on liquids for a few weeks and very soft food for 8-12 total weeks. My oral surgeon is going to be taking out the hardware in my jaw/etc that he put in two years ago. We WOULD leave it but it's moving and causing issues so he is going to remove it. If it runs true to form, I will be on what fits thru a syringe (NOT a straw) for about 2 weeks, then graduate to a straw.

I'm like a broken record about this but Syntrax Nectars - they go down as easy as water but have good quality protein, 23 grams a scoop and mix easily with just a spoon. man, I need to get them to pay me for recommending them all the time...

Strawberry Kiwi if you like artificial sweeteners

Natural Peach if you don't

(all freakin' expensive, especially the naturals)

I haven't been able to find the syntrax but there is a store about 40 miles efrom here that carries it so we will see if we can't get some this week. Sandy I have been so good to keep my protein intake up to 100 or over and I use mostly solid proteins. Normally, I only use liquids or powders occasionally. This morning I got in a lovely boiled egg smothered in mayo and. Think I can do another one soon. I appriciate all the good ideas and comments. The strong pain Meds affect me too I'm sure. How has the malasorbtion affect the drugs you take.? Have seen a need to take higher doses for optimum outcome? Ty

The strong pain Meds affect me too I'm sure. How has the malasorbtion affect the drugs you take.? Have seen a need to take higher doses for optimum outcome? Ty

I haven't had to adjust to higher doses of meds due to malabsorption. However, I also don't have a high powered, high malabsorption DS as some have.

Another option is to get the unjury unflavored protein powder and mix it into real broth or other flavors of bouillon or hot tea, for that matter.

Trick is to dissolve the powder in warm water and then add boiling water or broth to "top it off". If the water is too hot when it hits the powder, the powder will clump.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back