Long Term Metabolic Effects of Laparoscopic VSG

more2adore

I feel like a traitor to my procedure for posting this, heh, but I feel like newbies researching which surgery is right for them need to see this.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26244446

At one year out from a laparoscopic VSG, patients had lost 76.8% of their excess weight. At 3 years they were maintaining 69.7% of their excess weight lost, and at 5 years only 56.1%.

In regards Type 2 diabetes, 50.7% saw complete remission in the first year, while only 38.2% maintained complete remission at 3 years out, and only 20.0% maintained it at 5 years out.

Conclusions and Relevance: Undergoing LSG induced efficient weight loss and a major improvement in obesity-related comorbidities, with mostly no correlation to percentage of excess weight loss. There was a significant weight regain and a decrease in remission rates of diabetes and, to a lesser extent, other comorbidities over time.

No reason to feel bad about the truth! No one can make a good choice if they don't know the real numbers/reality.

The VSG isn't going to work for many patients as it wasn't the proper procedure to fix the issue. More reason patients need to understand and be honest with what's going on with themselves and what the issue(s) are, and what they are or aren't willing to do to fix them.

Moreso, as the average person (IMO) tends to go with whatever the Dr. recommends, so the surgeons need to vet their patients and match them to the procedures much better.. That also can go the other way too.. some can't live well with the DS and, and walking the line of doing as little harm is something that has to be/should be considered in some circumstances.

Why I posted it on other forums? What is wrong with education? We all do what we think and feel is right at the time. We do the best we can with what we know. People given this information can use it forward.

I have always said the VSG is a diet. I think the folks who are successful long term have to use their honeymoon period to acquire very restrictive eating habits and learn to live with them for life.

The body adapts. That's it's job. And our bodies want to be fat. They are always trying to get the flab back. The DS helps fight this with malabsorbtion but there is no perfect procedure. You just have to pick the one you can live with.

Facts is facts, and I wish more bariatric surgeons would be more forthcoming about both the benefits and the limitations of each operation. And I wish the lap band would be abandoned altogether based on it's amazingly poor results, but that's a whole nother story.

Facts is facts, and I wish more bariatric surgeons would be more forthcoming about both the benefits and the limitations of each operation. And I wish the lap band would be abandoned altogether based on it's amazingly poor results, but that's a whole nother story.
Oh, absolutely! I'm researching a revision from band to sleeve, and it was only a few weeks ago that I came to realize that I didn't just screw things up somehow with my band, or that I was just a victim of bad luck. When I learned that 50% of people are having them removed, and I was far from alone in the awful experience I had, it was actually a relief.

Latest posts

Back