Long limbs?!

Kristaz

Met Dr K today for pre-op stuff and he is AWESOME! He said he is going to air on the side of caution and make the limbs longer than "normal" because since my BMI is lower he doesn't want to ever see any sort of malnutrition. He is the expert and I will trust his judgement. Has anyone else had this? How was your weight loss? While losing weight is not my primary focus it would be great to lose some of the excess I still have. Cross your fingers... Surgery Friday!

Met Dr K today for pre-op stuff and he is AWESOME! He said he is going to air on the side of caution and make the limbs longer than "normal" because since my BMI is lower he doesn't want to ever see any sort of malnutrition. He is the expert and I will trust his judgement. Has anyone else had this? How was your weight loss? While losing weight is not my primary focus it would be great to lose some of the excess I still have. Cross your fingers... Surgery Friday!
Lots of luck to you!!

I had the Hess method and, for me, also a lightweight, 10% of my small bowel length would have been 64 CM. But I talked with Dr. Belzberg first and told him I wanted him to err on the side of making it a bit longer so he ended up making mine 85-90 cm. Hopefully, that will prevent diarrhea (it definitely has so far), malnutrition (so far so good) and still give me good weight loss (also, so far, so good).

Remember, if worse comes to worse, they can always adjust your CC length later. Not fun, but relatively easy compared to the initial procedure.

Also, although I speak with no medical background, I can't imagine 10-20 cm is going to make a huge difference, anyway. And, even if he makes your CC quite a bit longer, you will still lose weight.

I've met Dr. K. He's had a lot of experience with revisions and has a lot of data on all of this so I think you're in good hands.

Good luck!

Mark

As a Dr K revision patient who has had a miserable two years suffering from malnutrition because Dr Marshall made my AL about half the length it should have been, I would rather it be a little longer than shorter. I am sure he isn't talking much so I don't think you will have to worry about losing your weight. Even if I had ended up 10-15 pounds heavier than I wanted I would have traded that in a heartbeat not to have had to battle anemia, low albumin, low total protein, low zinc, low copper, low RBC, low platelets, low k, low E, low D, low A...... I think you understand what I am saying.

He has done over 2,000 DS procedures so you know he will take care of you.

Here is to a smooth surgery and recovery. Welcome to the club in two days.

BTW, isn't he a funny and cool dude ? He cracks me up and we have some great conversations.

As a Dr K revision patient who has had a miserable two years suffering from malnutrition because Dr Marshall made my AL about half the length it should have been, I would rather it be a little longer than shorter. I am sure he isn't talking much so I don't think you will have to worry about losing your weight. Even if I had ended up 10-15 pounds heavier than I wanted I would have traded that in a heartbeat not to have had to battle anemia, low albumin, low total protein, low zinc, low copper, low RBC, low platelets, low k, low E, low D, low A...... I think you understand what I am saying.

He has done over 2,000 DS procedures so you know he will take care of you.

Here is to a smooth surgery and recovery. Welcome to the club in two days.

BTW, isn't he a funny and cool dude ? He cracks me up and we have some great conversations.
Yeah! Very intelligent guy too! He told me about some other medical devices he is engineering.

Yeah! Very intelligent guy too! He told me about some other medical devices he is engineering.
I will have to ask him about that when I see him. I wasn't aware of any devices he was working on, but I know his undergrad degree was in I think bio engineering. He is definitely a visual guy who will draw on anything he sees and if he can't draw he uses iv lines for a demo. Lol

Tomorrow! Boy, this is happening fast now. Wishing you a safe and successful surgery and an easy, boring recovery.

Latest posts

Back