Lets Talk Calories....

As the author of DS Math, let me emphasize for the umpteenth time - it is JUST a rough guide to give you an idea of how the DS works. Using it to "count calories" is wrong on just about every level, from the fact that DSers don't count calories to the fact that the "% malabsorbed" are relatively meaningless guesses, and everyone is different. I'll bet there are some DSers who absorb 50% or more of the fat they eat, for starters. Some may absorb only 20% of the protein. That post was designed to explain roughly how the DS WORKS, not how to manage your own personal diet.

Oh I totally get that. 100% the DS is a YMMV thing. I was just needing a ballpark as I won't have a new sleeve and will be able to eat as I do now, I needed to know a ballpark estimate...and I have that. I won't be focusing on calories as much, but a lifetime of dieting kind of has me obsessed with the numbers.

Roo- I use MFP everyday, but only to make sure protein is up and carbs are down. I never look at the calories and don't pay attention much to that fat because I have no trouble going to the bathroom or with dry skin. It's a personal preference. If you're like me and like to know details on EVERYTHING, then it'll probably be helpful for you. If that makes you nuts then find strategies for estimating/counting protein grams.

I think the reason I don't deal well with things like MFP is all the DECADES of being on a diet.

I got use to counting carbs because it became life and death...was on insulin from 2001 to 2011. And not being accurate on your carb count could do one of two things: Too little which made your blood sugar skyrocket or too much which could land you in severe trouble...In fact it was miscalculating carbs in spaghetti that landed me in the ER after my dh had to call the paramedics...my blood sugar registered 26 when they got to me.

Roo- I use MFP everyday, but only to make sure protein is up and carbs are down. I never look at the calories and don't pay attention much to that fat because I have no trouble going to the bathroom or with dry skin. It's a personal preference. If you're like me and like to know details on EVERYTHING, then it'll probably be helpful for you. If that makes you nuts then find strategies for estimating/counting protein grams.

I created a new account as most people on my MFP would not understand the DS diet and half about 10 cows when I did keto....so rather than delete people, I just created a new account for DS accountability. That way, even though cals dont matter as much, I have a record of it all so I know what to tweak when.

Oh I totally get that. 100% the DS is a YMMV thing. I was just needing a ballpark as I won't have a new sleeve and will be able to eat as I do now, I needed to know a ballpark estimate...and I had that. I won't be focusing on calories as much, but a lifetime of dieting kind of has me obsessed with the numbers.
@DuodenalSwitchaRoo that's my point - even as a 2 parter you'll have swelling. I found that 5 days of liquid only had a pouch test effect on my old sleeve which I feel lasted for 6 months.

Fill up on things like creamcheese pancakes as they're a great protein source http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/01/cream-cheese-pancakes.html
You can get SF syrup from Starbucks for ~£14. Just get them to sell you one like the one they dispense from in store (they just run through the till 2 of the small full sugar syrups).

BTW I used to eat ~6 eggs worth of these a day earlyish on (when I was a couple of months out DS part 2).
crmchspancake7smallwmsmall.jpg

Wait. WHAT? You can buy torrani in starbucks!?!?!?!?!?! I would pay so much more! lol. And I wanted to murder you when I saw your pic before I read the post lol. omg. Those look AMAZING! lol. Do they work? I tried the banana + egg one...and I ended up with banana flavoured scrambled eggs...and it was as disgusting as it sounds lol

Im hoping this pre op plan + 4 weeks of liquid will get me regulated with my sleeve, cos 3 months post op sleeve I could eat a full 8oz steak. omg. I want steak too!!! lol. I think I'm just hungry lol. Got chicken thigh curry simmering and the smells are killing me softly!

It's Starbucks own brand and I often have to be rather insistent to get them to sell it to me but I normally manage. I just don't want to be paying for shipping on such a heavy item.

Early out I wouldn't add banana due to the carbs. Some strawberries and raspberries maybe. I'd whip double cream and add lots of Splenda to sweeten it.

Oh and this is the easy way to make lots of pancakes at once. This specific one turned out to be really good as I bought some cheaper ones since and they made teensy pancakes, whereas these come out looking like Scotch pancakes, which is still pretty small
http://www.amazon.com/review/R3B6ER...e=UTF8&ASIN=B004CYELQE&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=
81ZaIsSPXKL._SL1500_.jpg

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Im not doing fruit for the first year. Im going to be so anal with this lol.

And if it's not torrani, I don't want it :p Mike is going to the states in May so I can send my requests lol. Last time I was there I got the SF Vanilla. :) mmmm

come to think of it I have some SF maple flavoured syrup in the pantry. :) I will bookmark this and save it for post op as eating one meal a day I want something better than pancakes lol

Im not doing fruit for the first year. Im going to be so anal with this lol.

And if it's not torrani, I don't want it :p Mike is going to the states in May so I can send my requests lol. Last time I was there I got the SF Vanilla. :) mmmm
Guess I'll make do with Starbucks SF vanilla - it's probably better that I don't acquire a taste for yet more imported goods!! ;)

Latest posts

Back