Lets Talk Calories....

DuodenalSwitchaRoo

Taking a long scenic route!
I know it is a YMMY thing, but I need a ballpark goal....as I can EAT!!!! I know most of you say you stuggle to get all your protein if you don't eat all of the time. I am not one of those people. I can get 170g and still have room for mass amounts.

I looked in my MFP diary for one of my worst days. Probably a PMS-bottomless-hole-day, but still. I just wanted to show y'all what sort of sleeve I'm working with. I cannot be resleeved at this time, but I can do my damnedest to work with what I have got.

My worst day that I could find, I'm sure there were even worse that I didn't log. But 5000 cals. yeah. And I wasn't up 24 hours or anything silly. I've seen some DSers who can eat 3000....that would be quite comfy for me as when I am eating ONLY protein and fats I am still in the high 2000's. I did not over-exaggerate when I said my sleeve was friggen huge and I have REAL hunger, not that head shit.

TBH, I don't even bother counting calories. I worry about grams of protein/fat/and carbs but don't bother adding them up.

I know as a VSG'er, calories DO count...but for a majority of DS'er's we don't even care...mainly because the fat has the most calories but we absorb the least of it. Why count something you don't absorb?

Im soooooo looking forward to my DS lol you have nooooo idea how hard I have worked (and struggled!!) with just the VSG. I have always been mindful of protein, always, but this girl can eat for all of england. Looking forward to a lot of BBQs this summer, I just hope the weather cooperates!

I know how many or everything I had as MFP tracks all of that. But that wasn't my question. I really wasn't asking to be judged on past food choices, but more of a guidance where I should be with my DS. I gave the cals to show that my sleeve is enormous.

To give you an example of what I was like during my keto phase
Cals 2,849CARBS: 32(This was ONLY green carbs!!!!!!!!), Protein:221Fat: 183

Roo, MFP will not be nearly as useful after you get the 2nd part...It works to track how many grams of something you had but ignore the calories it will give you...

MFP makes ME nuts cause even if I use the corrections others have posted, they do NOT work very well...the pen & paper math that Diana provides is far more accurate in figuring my calories if I am so inclined. But I tend to use MFP about once every 3/6 months to just do a reality check on my breakdown.

I think my record is about 280g in protein but I didn't count the calories. They'll have you on nil by mouth for a few days and that was like a pouch test for me. It resulted in a tighter sleeve for about 6 months, so do what you can in that time... it's back to normal for me now.

I think my record is about 280g in protein but I didn't count the calories. They'll have you on nil by mouth for a few days and that was like a pouch test for me. It resulted in a tighter sleeve for about 6 months, so do what you can in that time... it's back to normal for me now.

Im on a self imposed protein shakes during the day and dinner...at one sitting...no going back. So far, I haven't noticed much shrinkage :( But I know when I had my sleeve Mr P does basically 4 weeks of liquids. My first week was water. Second was coloured liquids. third was creamy but clumpless soups and 4th was creamy purees...and then error by trial after that.

220 grams of protein = 880 cals. You'll absorb about 440 of those with the DS.
180 grams of fat = 1620 cals. You'll absorb 300-350 of those with the DS.

So the 2500-ish cals become about 800 cals. That's the beauty of DS Math :).

As the author of DS Math, let me emphasize for the umpteenth time - it is JUST a rough guide to give you an idea of how the DS works. Using it to "count calories" is wrong on just about every level, from the fact that DSers don't count calories to the fact that the "% malabsorbed" are relatively meaningless guesses, and everyone is different. I'll bet there are some DSers who absorb 50% or more of the fat they eat, for starters. Some may absorb only 20% of the protein. That post was designed to explain roughly how the DS WORKS, not how to manage your own personal diet.

Latest posts

Back