Just another Newbie ;)

HI there, I'm Rhainy. Just went to the "Seminar" portion of becoming my chosen surgeon's patient...

I really like him...except, right now he is steering me toward a straight sleeve, rather than a D/S... :( I know there are other surgeons but I really like this doc so far and his staff has been fabulous.
*Sighs*
Malnutrition was one of his concerns...
He didn't say he would not do it, but wanted to see if the sleeve worked before committing to the switch portion of the surgery...he didn't say no...but, the suggestion was sleeve first.

Since my primary insurance has a weightloss exclusion, I am having to go with my Medicare...a lot of surgeons don't take Medicare. I have bad credit, so loans are out, and I am on SSDI so paying cash is out too.

:(

So still trying to figure out what on earth I am going to do...
Hi @RhainyC and welcome! You'll find a wealth of quality information and genuine support here. Best of luck on your journey.

Welcome RhainyC! I can't offer more than the others have already regarding your insurance situation, but as a neighbor (I'm in Idaho) if you can swing getting Dr. Keshishian in Glendale, CA - You will be in the best hands! He is worth the travel - in fact, I'm going down in a few weeks to care for my hubby as he gets his DS. I wish you the best! this is an awesome community here to learn from :)

Welcome RhainyC! I can't offer more than the others have already regarding your insurance situation, but as a neighbor (I'm in Idaho) if you can swing getting Dr. Keshishian in Glendale, CA - You will be in the best hands! He is worth the travel - in fact, I'm going down in a few weeks to care for my hubby as he gets his DS. I wish you the best! this is an awesome community here to learn from :)
So cool TW. I am hoping to be getting my component separation surgery to fix my hernia around that time. Still waiting on approval and Kristina told me today that BCBS has requested some additional info. Removal of excess skin was part of the approval so hopefully it gets s approved too. I am anxious for approval asap so I can get scheduled and make travel arrangements. I just wish lodging in that area wasn't so damn expensive because two weeks is probably going to be at least $3k for hotel alone.

In any case maybe we will be there at the same time and we can say hello in person.

I just wish lodging in that area wasn't so damn expensive because two weeks is probably going to be at least $3k for hotel alone.

Yeah, I was just researching prices for motels and such...there were a couple of refurbished older Motels that have Kitchenettes in them, so I am hoping for one of those as that way feeding hubby will be cheaper.

Yeah, I was just researching prices for motels and such...there were a couple of refurbished older Motels that have Kitchenettes in them, so I am hoping for one of those as that way feeding hubby will be cheaper.
Look at homeaway.com and you can find a house or condo in nicer areas. I will probably end up going that route

I am anxious for approval asap so I can get scheduled and make travel arrangements. I just wish lodging in that area wasn't so damn expensive because two weeks is probably going to be at least $3k for hotel alone.

In any case maybe we will be there at the same time and we can say hello in person.

That'd be awesome Scott! Let me know when you get your dates! As for lodging...this time around I'm staying in Pasadena at an Embassy suites....last time was at a Hampton Inn in Glendale...before that was an Extended Stay in Glendale for my own surgery. All were very comfortable and nice/clean, and all served breakfast - the Extended Stay breakfast was all carbs though (muffins, bagels, cereal) but has the kitchenette, the Hilton properties all have eggs, bacon, sausage, etc. There are some budget friendly motels in Eagle Rock - but the beds didn't work for me. :(

But no whining! My insurance sucks and I'm having to self-pay all the way. Sigh. At least most of it is a tax right off.

I advise everybody to stay away from the comfort inn in eagle rock. Maybe 15 years ago it was nice but not now. It is a 1970 style outdoor entrance hotel (probably built then) and was framkly a hole. We stayed there one night because it had good reviews and was supposedly 3 star (no way, 1 star). We couldn't get out fast enough because no way I was leaving my wife there alone.

I like both embassy suites and Hampton Inn, but always found better deals than those two in the area. The Springhill Suites in Burbank is five miles away, brand new and very well appointed rooms with awesome befs, great breakfast with all your good stuff, awesome outdoor area, and three blocks from a downtown mall, PF Chang's, several other chains, a bunch of great local restaurants and a mall with movie theater. I think we paid $200 a night and I highly recommend it.

One thing we had a hard time finding was a good seafood restaurant other than the reel Inn over in Malibu /Santa Monica beach area (awesome but a long drive). Every other sea food place was Asian fusion. If I want Asian Fusion I will go to that type place, but I wanted seafood as in crab, lobster, scallops, fresh fish, etc., grilled or steamed not covered in an Asian sauce (I like to taste the sea food)....but I digress. :D

Hopefully our times might coincide. When are you scheduled again(on my phone and need to look at past post.. Hubbies having surgery, right)?

Take care

The sleeve is better than nothing but it's just another diet. Malabsorbtion is what you need. Especially with limited mobility.

Hopefully our times might coincide. When are you scheduled again(on my phone and need to look at past post.. Hubbies having surgery, right)?

Take care

Hubby, check! Last week of May through June 6. I'm really really really hoping to leave the 6th - the day before the primary! I don't wanna get caught up in riots by LAX!! ;) Oh, and even though it's a chain, I'm totally hitting Dead Lobster by our hotel in Arcadia/Pasadena!

Hubby, check! Last week of May through June 6. I'm really really really hoping to leave the 6th - the day before the primary! I don't wanna get caught up in riots by LAX!! ;) Oh, and even though it's a chain, I'm totally hitting Dead Lobster by our hotel in Arcadia/Pasadena!
Hahaha .we do dead lobster a couple times a month. Best seafood it isn't but it doesn't suck either. I can always eat steak and lobster.

I am still waiting on final approval. Insurance told me today that it was denied but when I asked why they said an admission isn't necessary but the hernia repair with component separation and mesh, as well as the panniulectomy were approved. Lol idiots. So the procedure is approved and even with an over night stay but not inpatient (I have never figured out how it is out patient when yiy spend the night). Of course if more information is provided for medical necessity for admissionis they would reconsider. Shit send me home the next morning if you have to, I don't care I just want fixed! Not to mention all dr k will have to say once I have the surgery to keep me another day if he feels needed is that my pain isn't controlled or vitals are not stable.

I swear these insurance people ......oh well.

Hopefully Kristina schedules me tomorrow. Also I just noted she submitted for huntington as the hospital. I found that odd since they do Verdugo typically unless huntington is specifically requested. HM is fine by me.

Glad your husband is getting the ds, by the way. Where are you guys coming from?

I almost forgot. I flew into LAX election day in 2000. That was really a strange day. My flight went through ST louis and we were delayed by nearly four hours because of security for AL Gore who flew in and out that morning. The buyer for Duracell was not happy with me because we were meeting for dinner and for some reason I didn't have her cell phone number...odd since she was my one $60,000,000 customer and we talked about 400 times a day. Lol

Insurance told me today that it was denied but when I asked why they said an admission isn't necessary but the hernia repair with component separation and mesh, as well as the panniulectomy were approved. Lol idiots. So the procedure is approved and even with an over night stay but not inpatient (I have never figured out how it is out patient when yiy spend the night).
The difference is in how much YOU will have to pay.

Latest posts

Back