Just a quick hello!

K326

Hi everyone. My name is Kim. I live in the metro Atlanta area and I just joined this site. It's been a wealth of information and I'm so appreciative. Sometimes it can be overwhelming trying to absorb everything out there on the Dos and Donts, yanno? After more than 2 years of being told that WLS was excluded from my insurance policy, I came to find out that was inaccurate and it is covered. Hooray! I had my first appointment with my surgeon (Dr. Robert Richard with Gwinnett Medical) a few weeks ago and I'm just getting underway with all the other necessary appointments (Nuritionist, Psych, etc). My DS is scheduled for 7/25 and while it seems like it's a world away I know it will get here quicker than expected.

Hi and welcome, @K326!

I'm sure others will be able to provide more information, but do make sure you're getting the two anastomoses DS, and not the SADI/'loop DS' (if that isn't what you've discussed and consented to).

Hello and welcome @K326 ! The DS was one of the best decisions of my life. Now's a great time to exercise, plan for recovery, review your current nutritional status and identify any vitamin deficiencies, so you can go into the procedure in as good a condition as possible. All the best!

Hi and welcome! You've made a great decision. Just two things:

First, as has already been said, make very sure your surgeon does the real DS, with 2 anastomoses, and not the experimental and NOT standard of care SIPS/aka SADI/aka loop DS that some surgeons are passing off as a DS. I've never heard of your surgeon and I've been in the DS community for a long time. Maybe he's someone new to the DS, which would be great (we always want to see more bariatric surgeons doing the DS) or maybe he's not really doing a DS. You need to know now, before you get pushed into some other operation.

Next, about your insurance - a lesson for others. We are always telling people to read their policies for themselves and never trust what some random low level customer service employee tells you over the phone. They don't care about you. They're just putting in their hours, and there is no penalty if they get something wrong. Every person should do his/her own due diligence and check the relevant parts of their policies themselves.

Glad you glad you are here! Always good to ask how many two-anastomoses DS surgeries he has done, since more experience is always better, in addition to the questions you have already been given.

Please tell me how you like Dr Richard. I was considering this practice for my DS revision from sleeve. Thanks!

Please tell me how you like Dr Richard. I was considering this practice for my DS revision from sleeve. Thanks!
I cannot say enough amazing things about Dr. Richard! From the 1st visit he put my mind at ease. He does traditional DS only (not SADI/Loop) with 100cc and I believe his standard bougie is 50. I'll follow up with you once I get my surgical report. I'm one of a handful that came in for a virgin DS. He does a lot of revisions. You'll be in FANTASTIC hands! I've had 3 abdominal surgeries and this was by far the best experience I've had.
He found out I was really really nervous the morning of my surgery in pre-op and came in to reassure me everything would be fine. He was there in my room when I came out of recovery and again the following day. He brought me a teddy bear lol
The entire bariatric center is top notch. They have a program that I think is unparalled.
I would advise anyone considering WLS to use Dr. Richard!
Please feel free to ask me anything else you might want to know

Latest posts

Back