Jen-2's Journey

@robs477 yep I'm home. Got discharged on Friday and was home by 2:30 pm. It was great to see my girls and finally be out of the hospital.

How are you doing? Less than 2 days for you now!! Do you know what time your surgery is?

Hi Jen, so glad to hear all that! I’m doing fine, though it is still a little blurry, I can actually finally see the finish line! Been SOOO busy just tying up all the loose ends and last minute stuff at my work and at home. All the chores that I do, yard, pool, garage, my laundry and on and on…all the things I won’t be able to do for a while. All I have left is the final packing. I will get a call at 9 am Monday morning with the actual surgery time, but they said, I was 2nd one up whatever that means..lol

Today was a good day though. My Wife and daughter and I went to Galveston for the afternoon for the Mardis Gras children’s parade. It was beautiful weather and we needed some fun before this. I don’t even miss eating anymore. What little bit I did eat before; I don’t even need that now, just me and my shake. We went to the old fashioned candy store/ice cream parlor, NP…lol I must admit though; I started twinging a little bit when I smelled one of the restaurants grilling meat. I could flippin tell exactly what it was too by the high fat content. It was a rib eye…..lol Now that did get to me for just a second or two!!

I took my girls to Galveston a little over a year ago. We did a 12 day trip that included San Antonio, Houston, Galveston, Fredericksburg, gruene, San Marcos, enchanted rock, etc. it was a great trip! We even rode horses on the beach in Galveston.

How are your nerves?

Wednesday, February 4 - day after second surgery

Wednesday was a better day. I had pain meds that were helping and I was walking a little easier. Second UGI showed all was ok so I was finally allowed water. I moved from the ICU to the bariatric wing late that afternoon. I sipped and walked but dreaded getting up or sitting down bc of the incision pain.

My parents came to visit and that really helped break up the day and keep my mind off of how I was feeling.

Thursday, February 5

Thursday was a setback bc I had the world's most unhelpful and negligent nurse. She said she didn't have an ongoing order in the system for Toradol so I had no pain meds for most of the day. I still tried to sip and walk but I was in a lot of pain and miserable. My doc was not working that day and his partner was in surgery most of the day. I don't think she made any attempt to get in touch w his partner until after dinner time and that was after both my sister and I let her know I had reached the end of my rope and patience. Of course a migraine set in that day too.

Once his partner put me back on the Toradol and gave me some meds for the migraine I was a different person. I felt so much better I started to post my story on here. :) I was also trying to stay up until midnight to get my next doses of the meds. My night nurse was great and explained that I had to be awake and request the pain meds. He wasn't allowed to wake me up for those even though I told him I definitely wanted them. So I made sure I stayed awake.

I was on the bariatric level one diet that day. It consisted of chicken broth, sf jello, a protein drink which tasted like Apple juice w protein powder, hot water to make tea and decaf coffee. All three meals were the same.

The funniest thing that happened that day was the negligent nurse informed me my doc had ordered a suppository for me since I hadn't had a BM. At the time I was in major pain so told her I couldn't deal w it right now. She brought it up one other time and I told her I wasn't ready. The nurse change came and my night nurse was a MAN and so was his assistant! He immediately brought it up and I told him there was no way he was giving me a suppository. He laughed and said it was his job and he'd done it many times. I said I couldn't let it happen. Lol. We put it off to Friday morning and he said he'd find a female nurse to help me if I really wanted a female. Luckily I finally started to pass gas Friday morning and Dr. G was good w that so I never had to have the suppository. Major relief.

Friday, February 6 - discharge day!

Dr. G woke me up around 7 and sat down to discuss how I was feeling and progressing. He removed my drain. We talked through post discharge instructions. He gave the nurse an order so I could finally shower. He checked my incision and agreed to discharge me.

I showered. That felt amazing. And finally got dressed in my own clothes. I had so many wires connected to me throughout the week I wasn't able to get out of the gown. I packed up and waited for my next round of meds. The nurse changed the dressings on my incision and where the drain was removed. She also removed my PICC line. My arm still hurts from that thing. My husband arrived and we headed out.

The two hour drive home wasn't too bad. The binder really helped reduce the pain. I fell asleep for most of it. I got home just before my girls started getting home from school. They were excited to see me and that and their hugs were just what I needed.

I didn't get much sleep that night bc I couldn't get comfortable. I did keep sipping and walking.

Nothing on the nerves yet, just very anxious to be done with it. Of course you said yours didn't start until the night before right?
Yeah. I was pretty good until the night before. Talking to EN and Barbara really helped. It kept my mind occupied and EN of course has a ton of knowledge so that helped when I started to think about some of these people who have had serious problems post DS. Having her answer questions about those people and how they got themselves in trouble put my mind at ease. I was able to get a few hours sleep.

Today was a good day. I definitely feel like I'm improving. I was released on full liquids so I've had broth, water, protein shakes, apple sauce, tomato soup and sf pudding since I've been home. Last night I was able to sleep in my own bed and get some real sleep. It's much easier walking and getting around. Yesterday I had a lot of trapped gas in my abdomen and chest area. That's going away so it's been a good day. I'm trying to concentrate on getting in 64 oz of fluids or more. Still taking my pain meds but not as many today.

Today was a good day. I definitely feel like I'm improving. I was released on full liquids so I've had broth, water, protein shakes, apple sauce, tomato soup and sf pudding since I've been home. Last night I was able to sleep in my own bed and get some real sleep. It's much easier walking and getting around. Yesterday I had a lot of trapped gas in my abdomen and chest area. That's going away so it's been a good day. I'm trying to concentrate on getting in 64 oz of fluids or more. Still taking my pain meds but not as many today.
@Jen-2 Happy to hear all is good. As everyone says: sip, walk, repeat! Keep posting.

Hi @Barbara! I'm on the other side! :s1gyahoo: Thanks again for meeting me. It was such a pleasure to meet you! And thanks for following my progress and checking up on me. I'm keeping my fingers crossed you get good news on the 20th!

Last edited:
yay you! Sounds like you're well on your way with only a tiny delay....one day later discharge, right? I wish I could have gotten in to visit, as I am pretty good at rattling cages over there. Word to the wise: You can email Dr G, and if you are inpatient, you can involve the patient advocate office. They are mandated to take pain management as a top priority.

yay you! Sounds like you're well on your way with only a tiny delay....one day later discharge, right? I wish I could have gotten in to visit, as I am pretty good at rattling cages over there. Word to the wise: You can email Dr G, and if you are inpatient, you can involve the patient advocate office. They are mandated to take pain management as a top priority.
I was discharged on time despite the second surgery thankfully! Thanks again for talking with me that night. Sorry we missed meeting up!

Latest posts

Back