Jbandmmomma's journey

Question for all:
Should all of this give me pause before choosing a full DS for my surgery? Should I be looking closer at the SADI/SIP?

@Jbandmmomma Becky, best wishes for an uncomplicated procedure and quick recovery with good pain management.

@Ridgerunner, not sure what this would have to do to influence a decision between full/traditional DS and SADI??? The SADI/SIPS is experimental but will likely have less weight loss maintenance and a stricter diet in exchange for possibly less need for vitamin supplementation - there isn't a known material difference in complication risks between SADI and full DS, other than due to physics, the SADI brings a risk of bile reflux that does not exist for full DS.

Question for all:
Should all of this give me pause before choosing a full DS for my surgery? Should I be looking closer at the SADI/SIP?
No, by all means no. Large amounts of weight loss can lead to hernias but is by no means a guarantee. Being morbidly obese on the other hand is a guarantee of health problems and likely an early death. Get a Hess DS and you will maximize your health and weight loss. The SADI us experimental and can lead to other issues like bile reflux and quite possibly inadequate long term weight loss. With the SADI you end up with a 250-350 cm Common Channel and to me I don't see how that will keep the weight off long term. The DS if done properly, and my belief is that the Hess DS guarantees the best long term weight loss, is your best bet.

Critters be swinging for you Becky and being a SEC hater this pains me but for you I will give in, WarEagle !!!

You got this and I know you are going to rock it. I have no doubt you are tougher than me so no hill for a climber. Like Liz said please have somebody let us know when you are out of surgery (they can message me here ot FB) and tell the Dr some crazy guy from Illinois is coming down if he doesn't give you good drugs! :D

Last edited:
@Jbandmmomma Becky, best wishes for an uncomplicated procedure and quick recovery with good pain management.

@Ridgerunner, not sure what this would have to do to influence a decision between full/traditional DS and SADI??? The SADI/SIPS is experimental but will likely have less weight loss maintenance and a stricter diet in exchange for possibly less need for vitamin supplementation - there isn't a known material difference in complication risks between SADI and full DS, other than due to physics, the SADI brings a risk of bile reflux that does not exist for full DS.
Well I guess the main reason for that line of thinking was that jbandmmomma mentioned bowel obstruction as being an issue. Isn't bowel obstruction one of the issues that is more common with full DS and the SADI/SIPS is supposed to correct this?

Well I guess the main reason for that line of thinking was that jbandmmomma mentioned bowel obstruction as being an issue. Isn't bowel obstruction one of the issues that is more common with full DS and the SADI/SIPS is supposed to correct this?
I have never heard of such a thing and am not buying it. Bowel obstruction can come from something called a Peterson Defect that is basically a person losing a large amount of weight so the small intestine gets wrapped up in itself due to "extra room to move around inside".

My surgeon is ill. He's got flu or some such with high fever etc. So we are regrouping and waiting to hear from his scheduler for next available time. Thanks for all the well wishes, critter swinging, and War Eagle's! Will update when I know more. This is crazy.

@Ridgerunner, I had two separate internal hernias with bowel obstruction previously, that were not necessarily a result of my DS. I've had multiple abdominal surgeries. The current ventral hernia is at the site of a 7-inch vertical incision. That is what will be corrected with my next surgery.

Hope everyone has a good day!

I am sorry Becky. That just sucks as I know how much work you put into planning this. Hopefully he is better tomorrow and get you in then.

My surgeon is ill. He's got flu or some such with high fever etc. So we are regrouping and waiting to hear from his scheduler for next available time. Thanks for all the well wishes, critter swinging, and War Eagle's! Will update when I know more. This is crazy.

@Ridgerunner, I had two separate internal hernias with bowel obstruction previously, that were not necessarily a result of my DS. I've had multiple abdominal surgeries. The current ventral hernia is at the site of a 7-inch vertical incision. That is what will be corrected with my next surgery.

Hope everyone has a good day!

I hope I wasn't out of line by using your complications as a way to gain information. If I was, I sincerely apologize to you. I am so sorry you are having such a rough time of it. This must be incredibly difficult for you. I hope you find perminent solutions soon.

Becky, I am sorry for the delay. It's not like he wanted to be sick. But it does make for a stressful time.

My daughter who has NEVER had WLS had a bowel obstruction. They happen. Rapid weight loss can make them more common but not JUST the DS. Many, many people who have lost weight thru non-surgical or surgical options can get them.

Latest posts

Back