January 9th is the date: Any tips?

Jacks39

So my surgery is Jan. 9th with Dr. Rabkin. What would you all suggest I stock up on in preparation? What was most useful to you in your recovery? Im a total Girl Scout and overpreparing helps me feel better, lol. I haven’t gotten my prep binder from the doctor yet, but I do know that he sends you home from the hospital on “regular” diet, avoiding protein shakes to avoid lactose intolerance.

So my surgery is Jan. 9th with Dr. Rabkin. What would you all suggest I stock up on in preparation? What was most useful to you in your recovery? Im a total Girl Scout and overpreparing helps me feel better, lol. I haven’t gotten my prep binder from the doctor yet, but I do know that he sends you home from the hospital on “regular” diet, avoiding protein shakes to avoid lactose intolerance.
Do NOT stock up on much of anything. Get small amounts of various things. What works pre-op most likely won't work post-op and day to day, week to week your tastes will change.

Soft, easy stuff like eggs, shrimp, scallops - freeze scallops in very small portions. I mean really small! I found Progresso soup tasted much better than chicken broth, just don't eat the solid stuff. Tuna with lots of mayo. I tried jello but it was awful. You will be eating tiny portions, so think small.

I wasn't allowed solid food for many weeks (all docs are different). Unjury Protein chicken soup was a lifesaver because it was one of the few things I could manage that wasn't sweet. Ten days post-op I was allowed greek yogurt. I smeared a little refried beans in a pan and melted grated cheddar over them. Wendy's Chili -- a small container lasted me a week. (I couldn't eat eggs for 9 months - I'd barf them up.) SF popsicles were good as was SF jello.

I know there is no physical reason to do so but I used tiny baby spoons in little dessert bowls. Since I was only able to consume a "meal" of MAYBE 2 tablespoons volume, it just made it psychologically easier to eat my 1/8th of a teaspoon bites off baby spoons than a regular one.

Figure out where/how you'll sleep. I needed to somewhat sit up b/c of reflux and also needed a thick cushion under my knees to take pressure off my abdomen. I needed a stool next to my high mattress bed to easily get into it immediately post-op.

You may need an extension cord to charge your phone as the plugs are rarely conveniently located.

(1) Make rest stations / comfort zones where you will spend time. Chapstick, water bottles, tissues, magazines/books, chargers etc. by bedside and comfy chair/recliner. Think about minimizing bending, twisting and lifting for the first few days.
(2) I found a kitchen step ladder next to my bed very helpful for getting in and out of it.
(3) Chicken broth.

Best wishes!

Get a few baby spoons to eat with that's all you need and it helps you feel like you're eating.. No kidding, it helps. You're going to be eating literally half a teaspoon or less at a time so stocking up is like one cup of your favorite what ever; that should last about a month!

Oh and a really comfortable recliner chair. You're going to spend a lot of time there and most likely sleeping in it for awhile.

Taco Bell pintos and cheese was super good in the first month. And Wendy's chili. Agree about the Unjury chicken soup - I didn't discover that as a protein source until about 3 years ago (I can't stand sweet protein shakes). Cottage cheese (with some canned fruit for flavor), if you're not having trouble with lactose (cottage cheese has some, but less than milk).

OMG you should have seen my giant grocery list, hahahaha! I’m such a food addict, I can’t imagine it. Thanks for the tips!

Latest posts

Back