It's Official

DSRIGGS

Yes, that is chocolate covered bacon
After reviewing my CT that I had, I think about 1.5 months ago now, Dr K and I have decided that surgery on my gut is needed. I have at least one adhesion for sure where small bowel loops are stuck to my mesh on inside of my abdominal wall, and likely others. It is also definitive that I have a redundant colon. Dianna and I fly into LAX on 11/1, on the 2nd we have consultation with Dr K and registration at Huntington Memorial, then on the 3rd I have surgery. We will know more after the consult but the final decision on whether my sigmoid and possibly some of descending colon come out , will be made when Dr K is inside and sees how everything looks. With my propensity for scar tissue and the problems I have it is my opinion that my redundant colon is the major contributor to my issues so as to give the best chance of no further surgery which can lead to scar tissue, I think it prudent that we deal with the redundant colon now. Obviously that is not a decision to be taken lightly so I need to fully understand possible negative outcomes of removing the sigmoid, vs the potential good it can do.

Anyway, surgery at Huntington on the 3rd and we plan to fly back on the 10th assuming everything goes well and Dr K releases me. We will be staying in Burbank as we really like that downtown area as it is a good neighborhood, lots of restaurants close by and it is a relatively easy commute to and from the hospital.

Unfortunately we can never find decent deals and or times into Bob Hope so we have to go in and out of LAX. BTW, if you ever need to rent a care in LA SIXT is freaking awesome. Luxury car for $28/day. Most other cities and rental car places are at least $60 a day for a full size car, let alone what a luxury car would cost.

Anyway, that is the deal and you know me, I will update you after surgery and Dianna will be updating via Facebook.

Last edited:
Best wishes Scott! Hope this will be the last surgery.
Thanks Hilary. That is our hope as well. My strength has been so much better the last 5 months so I am quite hopeful that recovery should be easier and that the surgery fixes my gut pain and the 2-3 hours in the middle of the night having painful pooping marathons (I often wake 2-3 times a night having to poop). When I should be sleeping it sucks to have to be up doing that and obviously it zaps me so I really want that to stop.

Additionally I might have a good job lined up, well at least it would pay pretty well. It is 36 month contract gig and doesn't give me the 401-K matching I really need, but it is much better than a kick in the teeth and obviously it is much easier to look for a job when you have one than when not.

Anyway, thanks!

I too hope that this fixes the problem! Apropos of nothing I thought of you today when a deer, her baby and I were facing each other over the hood of my car. Thankfully I was on a two lane road going thirty instead of the interstate and was able to stop safely but I had a moment when I wasn't sure...and thought this is just like Scott described! Good thoughts for the possible new job I hope everything works out.

Scott, I'm hopeful that this will resolve a lot of your gut issues and let you lead a happier, healthier, well rested life. If you have redundant colon (more common than you might think), you should still have plenty left when Dr. K finishes. And the job prospect sounds good too!
Keep us posted (I know you will).

I hate that you have to endure another surgery, and hope this is the one. No experience with redundent colon, but adhesions made my life so hellish that I have great hope when I hear anyone is having some removed, because the relief was immediate (at least when the post op pain fades). Whatever you and Dr K come up with, will be the right choice.

well Scott I hope this finally gives you relief.. I'm gonna call and see if I can get scheduled for surgery 2nd through the 4th week in November.

Boy Scott you just can't get a breather

I hate that you are having another surgery, and I really hope this surgery really gives you some relief, Scott. I stayed in Burbank on my last visit and really enjoyed the area as well. I hate driving in LA! On my last visit to Dr. K., I used Lyft and it very convenient and much more enjoyable not to drive.

I too hope that this fixes the problem! Apropos of nothing I thought of you today when a deer, her baby and I were facing each other over the hood of my car. Thankfully I was on a two lane road going thirty instead of the interstate and was able to stop safely but I had a moment when I wasn't sure...and thought this is just like Scott described! Good thoughts for the possible new job I hope everything works out.
Haha! I am a deer magnet, that is for sure.

Thanks for the well wishes. I have an interview for that job today and am actually pretty excited about the opportunity.

Latest posts

Back