It's at the Insurance Company!!

Yvonne

So lo and behold the office manager called me Wednesday morning. This was the last one I left a phone message for. She had no idea what my situation was other than what I left on her answering machine message. So I explained in a bit more detail. She was glad I shared it with her.She told me that they would be faxing it first thing in the morning (which they did and Melissa - the one who is not there often called me and let me know that it was sent). She did mention Coral (the insurance woman) and told me if I heard before them about being approved, to have them fax her or Coral with the approval information. So I'm assuming that Coral is actually working on the approval as well.

I do believe she gave me a worse case scenario. I mentioned twice about my situation and she told me that some people won't even have insurance at the beginning of the year so she would give a cancellation to them before me as I'll at least have insurance. She didn't seem rude about it, just factual. She told me if they get approval by the end of October, then they'll schedule me for pre-op/physical. Once that's done the doctor looks at it and signs off on it for surgery. BTW I have a question. They said if I'm over 50 I have to have a stress test. I turn 50 next week. Due to Fibro and assorted other walking problems (I can walk, just not long distance or stand for any period of time), I wouldn't be able to do one. Anyone know what else they would do. Someone said give me a drug to make my heart race (which would NOT be so good with my high blood pressure that they are having a hard time controlling - thus the reason needing surgery). I mean, my heart is good, pass an EKG with no trouble, but not sure how they'd do that.

She said if the doctor signs off on it by the middle of November, then I have to take a Dietetic Lifestyle class. Just one. If I get that done by the end of November, I have just December to get in. She told me the surgeon takes time off in December to be with her family. So yeah. Not looking so great at getting in. I guess we could do it at the beginning of next year and then file bankruptcy. Geez. I thought the ACA was going to stop people from going bankrupt from medical expenses? Our insurance became the WORST ever.

So basically no matter how much I tell her I have to have surgery, a person with no insurance at the beginning of the year will get put in before me.

We did get our medical insurance packet for next year and it's WORSE. $9500 deducible, our premiums went up $130 a paycheck, and $3000 more for the out of pocket cap. Plus, now even if I meet the family deductible with surgery, or out of pocket, it won't count for my family until one of them (or the combination of their expenses meet the individual deductible). So we'll be paying 100% for their meds and medical expenses. I HATE his company - they say they're "cost-sharing", but they are pushing the premiums completely on us. The ACA can't offer us anything better because my husband's base salary would qualify us for help, but since he works overtime in order for us to eat and barely pay the bills, we don't. So yeah. But bitching and worrying about it won't change the situation. Come January 1st, we'll have what we have and possibly have to decide who's giving up medications that we can't afford any longer (my daughter takes things for mental health issues and they are not cheap).

They said if I'm over 50 I have to have a stress test. I turn 50 next week. Due to Fibro and assorted other walking problems (I can walk, just not long distance or stand for any period of time), I wouldn't be able to do one. Anyone know what else they would do. Someone said give me a drug to make my heart race (which would NOT be so good with my high blood pressure that they are having a hard time controlling - thus the reason needing surgery). I mean, my heart is good, pass an EKG with no trouble, but not sure how they'd do that.
Yes, there is a drug...I have had that one for the last few times. HOWEVER I don't/didn't ever have high blood pressure. I do know they monitor you VERY carefully. Just ask before hand.

BTW I have a question. They said if I'm over 50 I have to have a stress test. I turn 50 next week. Due to Fibro and assorted other walking problems (I can walk, just not long distance or stand for any period of time), I wouldn't be able to do one. Anyone know what else they would do.
I once had a chemical stress test. You get wired up like an EKG, lie there while they do some readings, then then intravenously inject some chemical and lie there some more while they take more readings, then you stand while they take yet more readings, then lie down again to get un-wired. I recall my heart racing a bit and breathing heavier but not too bad. The whole thing took maybe 15 minutes.

See if you can take the lifestyle class asap rather than waiting for the doctor to sign off on everything else. It might speed up the process a bit.

Latest posts

Back