It doesn't fix the brain...

brooklyngirl

Yankee gone south
Hey guys!
So I had an appointment with my therapist this week (haven't seen him since before the summer) and I've been contemplating the boatload of stuff that we dug up ever since. I thought I'd share with you guys for thoughts/opinions/venting :)

1- he said he wasn't diagnosing me, but wonders if, based on the things I was telling him, if I've ever felt addicted to food. My response was YES!!! I've always had food issues, and also always strongly identified with addicts in the ways they spoke about drugs or alcohol. While I may be successful in everyone else's eyes, my struggles with food are still there and I'm TERRIFIED of ending up right back where I began. His first suggestion is that I try something I never have before, and maybe that first thing should be over eaters anonymous (OA). There's a convenient meeting about 5 mins away, but it's a literature based group. Not sure what exactly that means. I have to see if that's leaning towards the research side of literature or the bible side (I am in the south!). Thoughts?

2- he also thinks that I'm struggling to find a new identity, either to match, or despite, my new body. There are lots of things that happen these days that I've been wanting my whole life, but when they happen, instead of feeling overjoyed, I feel uneasy and I don't know how to process my feelings.
Examples- hubby and I went to the Halloween store last week to look for costumes. I never went costume shopping before because a- I haven't wanted to draw attention to myself in a very long time and b- even if I wanted to dress up, generic costumes would never fit me. He convinced me to try on the Wonder Woman tutu that I loved, even though it said "one size fits all". I think most of us know that means "one size fits normal sized people, if you're fat then don't bother". Well, it fit. And it kind of freaked me out.
Another one from this week was a picture I saw on Facebook from the training day we had at work on Friday. There were roughly 50 people sitting on bleachers and I didn't recognize myself. I automatically looked for the big girl in the crowd but there I was, blending in with the 2 small girls on either side of me. That's another thing that should've made me jump for joy, instead I just felt confused. Had anyone else dealt with anything like this? And don't get me wrong, in no way am I saying that I was more comfortable fat so I'll just be happier going back there. Life is AMAZING now in comparison to before, I just can wrap my thoughts around it yet.

I would like to suggest an alternative that I consider better, and definitely a LOT more evidence based, than OA: Self Management and Recovery Training

A "literature based" twelve step group will probably be focused on reading from the "big book" or whatever they are currently using for the 12 step program in that particular group. I attended a group like that for a while years ago and hated it more than any other type of step group I attended.

You might wish to do some research on how well that system actually *works*, based on material other than 12-stepper testimonials.

Yeah, "big book" is the feeling I got about the OA group too, which will DEFINITELY not be for me, or my Jewish friend that wants to come with ;)
I have to do some more research on the whole thing

I don't like OA either but whatever works. I'll tell you the most important thing is time - totally normal to not recognize yourself and so on. the body changes a lot faster than the mind can keep up with. check out OA and any other options, see what feels useful.

There are lots of things that happen these days that I've been wanting my whole life, but when they happen, instead of feeling overjoyed, I feel uneasy

totally normal! change is very stressful and you are suddenly under all kinds of pressure to be this "new" person.

A 12 step program did help me...it was Al-Anon...and the pieces that helped the most was the idea that the ONLY person I can fix is me. And if I didn't love myself, warts and all, how could others love me?

I too have been kicking around some of the same- re: groups etc. I too can't get past the powerless part, and being non-religio, it's not easy to overlook the feel of OA literature.

The head does eventually catch up with recognizing yourself to a point, though it tends to go to extremes.. imagining that 15lbs makes you huge again, and that somehow you were soooo much more *insert positive thought here* when you weighed less.. It takes a long while, and lots of spinning in circles- still working on it! :rolleyes:

but some people find that helps - "let go and let God"

But if you don't have a god...

It's why I won't join or contribute to the American Legion...motto...For God and Country. I'm a veteran, but an atheist veteran...and, imho, the more god we have in our wars, the more Taliban-like we are. Give me a good old-fashioned, religious-doctrine-free war and I'm in.

Same with OA, AA, all those groups. I cannot get past the religious connection.

Ergo...I think they might be good for Christians. Are there many of those groups in predominantly Jewish neighborhoods? I dunno...Maybe that's why Weight Watchers was started by a Jewish woman...and most of the franchises were owned by OTHER Jewish women?

Random thoughts...from a choo-choo train.

but some people find that helps - "let go and let God"

But if you don't have a god...

It's why I won't join or contribute to the American Legion...motto...For God and Country. I'm a veteran, but an atheist veteran...and, imho, the more god we have in our wars, the more Taliban-like we are. Give me a good old-fashioned, religious-doctrine-free war and I'm in.

Same with OA, AA, all those groups. I cannot get past the religious connection.

Ergo...I think they might be good for Christians. Are there many of those groups in predominantly Jewish neighborhoods? I dunno...Maybe that's why Weight Watchers was started by a Jewish woman...and most of the franchises were owned by OTHER Jewish women?

Random thoughts...from a choo-choo train.

Admittedly, I don't know much about 12 step programs, but I have heard about the god connection. I may be spiritual, but I am very anti-organized religion, and I totally agree with @Spiky Bugger about the god & war connection, but I digress.
I've thought about going to WW, since that's the kind of atmosphere I've had luck with in the past, but i don't want to participate in a weekly weigh-in AND have to pay $45 per month (prob more now) on top of it. There is a meeting for the group that EN mentioned about a half hour away (the only one in the state, lol) but it starts at an inconvenient time. I'm gonna talk to the powers that be at work and see if they'd have a problem with me ending a half hour early once a week so I can try it out.

FYI I am pretty sure you can do an OA "meeting" online...not sure what else is available.

let us know what you find and if it helps! :D

Latest posts

Back