Is Gelatin Liquid?

Lilyofthevalley

Revived & Revitalized
For various reasons, I have been consuming a lot of SF Gelatin and liquids lately. I would like some feedback.
Does Gelatin count as liquid since it sure is not solid?

Is consuming most of my protein from protein drinks giving me the protein requirements I need?
Other proteins: eggs, cheese, yogurt, avocado, and the occasional bite of overly mayonnaised chicken salad.

If my overall calories are down, can I consume more "non sugar or junk" carbs without worry? Example: cream soups, dried beans, and mashed potatoes.

Any advice and opinion about getting enough protein without a lot of bulk will be appreciated.

Avocado is not a protein :).

Other than that, sure, you can get your protein from supplements if you must.

Jello was a liquid for my surgeon.

I would still watch the carbs.

Go slowly, as creamed soups contain things that make some post-ops uncomfortable...milk, flour (or modified food starch, which CAN BE flour), that kind of thing.

I'm 17 months out, I can handle potato and broccoli soup pretty well when I have to.
That list of "proteins" was actually a list of other foods I can eat right now, thus the avocado.
Thanks for the feedback.

I ate avocado very early on.....maybe at three weeks. I wanted something "green," but didn't feel ready for veggies yet.

even if avocado isn't a protein it is a good fat so still good for DSers I assume?
ps, DeeDee, you have made me hungry for avocado now! I think I will make some guacamole and use crisp bacon as a substitute for the tortilla chips for Super Bowl tomorrow :):BaconDance:
This is a FANFREEKINTASTIC idea! :clapping:

Oh my Gosh, my Honey and I went to a party tonight where they had the best guacamole. I ate it with a spoon with fajita beef. For the first time in years I was not embarrassed to be around my husbands skinny ski bunny friends. At one point I started to sit on the end of a picnic table bench and hesitated....Then it hit me, I don't have to worry about tipping the table anymore.! Yay me!

Depends what you are wondering about. Like, if you are wondering if it adds to the daily fluid intake, then I would NOT count it towards my daily requirement of "X" ounces of liquids.

If you are wondering in regards to it counting as a clear liquid as part of the clear liquid part of the surgeons diet requirement, then probably yes. At least my surgeon said SF jello was fine during that phase of the diet.

That is just what my surgeon said, but I wasn't eating much jello so didn't question it. He also said to not count tea and coffee, which makes more sense to me.

Well that's true about the coffee and tea because of the caffine Imalways thought but Jello has chemicals so anyway I was just curious cause I have been eating a lot and I get overly full if I push a lot of fluids when I'm having a lot of jello.

If my overall calories are down, can I consume more "non sugar or junk" carbs without worry? Example: cream soups, dried beans, and mashed potatoes.

Any advice and opinion about getting enough protein without a lot of bulk will be appreciated.

calories are of no consequence. If you have all of your protein and hydration in for the day, you can add some veggies/complex carbs, but stay away from the sugars and the ones that give you stomach issues, like flour and of course the "junk"

Recently a study was published that says that there is no evidence of dehydration with moderate daily coffee intake:

It is often suggested that coffee causes dehydration and its consumption should be avoided or significantly reduced to maintain fluid balance. The aim of this study was to directly compare the effects of coffee consumption against water ingestion across a range of validated hydration assessment techniques. In a counterbalanced cross-over design, 50 male coffee drinkers (habitually consuming 3–6 cups per day) participated in two trials, each lasting three consecutive days. In addition to controlled physical activity, food and fluid intake, participants consumed either 4×200 mL of coffee containing 4 mg/kg caffeine (C) or water (W). Total body water (TBW) was calculated pre- and post-trial via ingestion of Deuterium Oxide. Urinary and haematological hydration markers were recorded daily in addition to nude body mass measurement (BM). Plasma was analysed for caffeine to confirm compliance. There were no significant changes in TBW from beginning to end of either trial and no differences between trials (51.5±1.4 vs. 51.4±1.3 kg, for C and W, respectively). No differences were observed between trials across any haematological markers or in 24 h urine volume (2409±660 vs. 2428±669 mL, for C and W, respectively), USG, osmolality or creatinine. Mean urinary Na+ excretion was higher in C than W (p = 0.02). No significant differences in BM were found between conditions, although a small progressive daily fall was observed within both trials (0.4±0.5 kg; p<0.05). Our data show that there were no significant differences across a wide range of haematological and urinary markers of hydration status between trials. These data suggest that coffee, when consumed in moderation by caffeine habituated males provides similar hydrating qualities to water.

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0084154

Well that's true about the coffee and tea because of the caffine Imalways thought but Jello has chemicals so anyway I was just curious cause I have been eating a lot and I get overly full if I push a lot of fluids when I'm having a lot of jello.
If he weren't in India and easier to ask, I'd ask, but I pretty much wrote him off when my plane landed back on US soil. You even have me wondering now.

Latest posts

Back