Iron VERY low - please help

Is there some reason you are going to that particular clinic? You might call another hematologist. You can search on another WLS website and ask around for recommendations for a hemo in your area. There are lots of hemos around and chances are there is another WLS patient online who can give you information for your area.

What are your HGB and HCT right now? Your diagnosis or blood disorder is anemia secondary to malabsorption, I would imagine.

Remember when you started the DS journey and you were told you had to advocate for yourself? This is it. I can recall informing my PCP that I was sure I needed an iron infusion and wanted a referral. He told me, "I will tell you when you need to go to a hematologist". I went home, got on the internet, started making phone calls, and got an iron infusion. I usually take what the MDs tell me as interesting information and then do my own research, make phone calls, and get another medical opinion. Trust, but verify.

Interesting. I wonder if I'll need to do this. By any chance do you know the cost? I am considering switching jobs and may be without insurance coverage for a couple months.

At one time I was between insurance and paid cash. Guess what? They gave me a huge (80-90%) cash discount and the total price was $197. If you do not have insurance ask about a cash discount. You may have to talk to their financial manager. Otherwise, the cost was close to $2000.

When they asked for your dx and you guessed malabsorption, perhaps you should also add "short gut syndrome" as they may understand that better.

If you were to let your pcp know that you are having problems making an appointment within a reasonable time frame, would he/she be willing to make some calls and set something up for you? If not, are you willing to find a new and improved pcp?

Just wondering.... does your DS surgeon know about your iron levels? Would he be willing to make some phone calls and get you in to see a hemo a bit quicker than your PCP?

Is there some reason you are going to that particular clinic? You might call another hematologist. You can search on another WLS website and ask around for recommendations for a hemo in your area. There are lots of hemos around and chances are there is another WLS patient online who can give you information for your area.

What are your HGB and HCT right now? Your diagnosis or blood disorder is anemia secondary to malabsorption, I would imagine.

Remember when you started the DS journey and you were told you had to advocate for yourself? This is it. I can recall informing my PCP that I was sure I needed an iron infusion and wanted a referral. He told me, "I will tell you when you need to go to a hematologist". I went home, got on the internet, started making phone calls, and got an iron infusion. I usually take what the MDs tell me as interesting information and then do my own research, make phone calls, and get another medical opinion. Trust, but verify.
Love this. I did call one other clinic, but got the same answer of September being their earliest available.

If you were to let your pcp know that you are having problems making an appointment within a reasonable time frame, would he/she be willing to make some calls and set something up for you? If not, are you willing to find a new and improved pcp?
Tried that route - got nowhere. She just said I need a hematologist and since there was already a referral in the system, she could do no more. and I definitely need a new PCP. She is clueless about this surgery with no desire to learn.

At one time I was between insurance and paid cash. Guess what? They gave me a huge (80-90%) cash discount and the total price was $197. If you do not have insurance ask about a cash discount. You may have to talk to their financial manager. Otherwise, the cost was close to $2000.
THAT would be awesome if I could make that happen.

I don't know those lab results... hmmm in May my hemoglobin says 5%. They didn't retest that in July though.

I'm not familiar with the % sign in HGB test results.

But if my HGB were 5, I'd be at the ER. When my BIL's HGB was 5, the cruise line threw his ass off off tbe ship and he ended up in an ER in Barcelona, Spain.

Also, if your HGB is 5, you probably aren't making any sense. My BIL was seeing bats flying out of the AC units and heard that the hospital staff was plotting to kill him. (An interesting observation in that he doesn't speak a word of Spanish.) They kept him five days (or 7) until he had repeated blood transfusions sufficient to make him ELIGIBLE to fly back to the states.

If your HGB is 5, you need medical care. Like at an ER. Now.

I think.

Maybe the science people here @DianaCox @Larra @CaraOC @hilary1617 @JackieOnLine @k9ophile @KathrynK @aaa @writegirl o(@nd lots of others, but i'm on drugs) have better info than I do.

Last edited:
I sent the clinic a message asking for an infusion. Still waiting. So once I get an infusion... do I continue pills?

You know what? Stop being polite and learn to be a demanding bitch. It's your LIFE, after all.

Do not ASK for a referral for this.

Just call and say, "Please let Doctor know that I'll be at the ER getting my SEVERELY out of range hemoglobin and iron treated. He should probably expect a call from the hospital." And then take yourself, a change or two of undies, a toothbrush, a bottle of water and some string cheese and/or protein bar or two, to the ER.

I'm especially demanding, so I'd probably go by ambulance because I'd be too weak/goofy to drive.

First, sorry you are having a hard time. It takes a while to learn your new body and for your body to adjust.

My iron was a little low at about month 6. Dr put me on Iron pills and I was fine at the next check up.

Low "normal" is 12.1 gdL for women. Did you mean to state it in those terms rather than "percentage"? If so, yours is more that 50% below the low normal.

Spiky didn't live to be a demanding bitch by being nice. I'm quite sure she is when the occasion calls for being nice. This is not an occasion for being nice. Promise me you'll get your butt and do what she says.

Latest posts

Back