Iron levels pre-op

By the way, in no way did I intend anything to be last minute. I was on an iron supplement before beginning this process. 3 months ago when I saw the lab numbers I redoubled my efforts, changed my supplement, made it three times a day, and added 500 mg vitamin C each time. I really thought that would make a difference, but at the preo-op appointment last week I expressed concerns, and more labs were ordered (they weren't planning to do repeat labs). That's when I saw virtually no change. I've been working hard since I learned about that but to no avail.

Let your surgeon know so he can plan what he wants to do. Do you see him the day before surgery? They can give a blood transfusion and/or iron infusion in the hospital if needed.

Honestly, I'm afraid if I push too much the surgery will get cancelled. It's not like he couldn't order the infusion, or personally connect with a hematologist to consult with or make sure I get in quickly. I'm the only one acting like this is a problem. I'm going to continue to do so, but at this point it is most likely going to be post op. The surgery is Monday. I have explained my situation to the hematologist office, and a patient advocate is contacting the hematologist to see if they would be willing to fit me in, and left another message with my primary care doctor. I think at this point though I'm backing off trying to get the surgery team to do anything else. I don't see the surgeon until surgery day.

It seems like there is nothing to be said. You have made the decision not to delay surgery, despite your concerns, and your physicians have agreed the problem is not urgent and your treatment can wait til after surgery. However, you should not be discharged after surgery without additional tests of your hemoglobin, etc, because the urgency of the situation or the ability to delay treatment will become apparent. I was discharged with a hemoglobin of 9 after another type of surgery involving blood loss and the explanation for this (when I found out at a follow up visit) was that I was tolerating anemia well. Insist on the earliest possible anemia care postop and compare your preop numbers to those at the end of your hospitalization to make your case. If your numbers go down much further, you will move up on the waiting list. Be alert to the symptoms of anemia during recovery and stay in touch with the docs. Good luck!

Just a quick update, I was able to get an appointment in hematology for only 5 days post op. I am feeling better about it now as I hopefully will be able to get an infusion shortly after.

Latest posts

Back