1. Please review your surgery details found under your profile.
  2. We have many with MIA Avatars. If you are missing yours, please reload it. Use a browser you normally do not use to check. List is in Announcements: http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/missing-avatars.5131/
  3. Status Updates (profile posts) are being disabled effective immediately.

Iron infusion levels

Discussion in 'Vitamins & Labs' started by southernlady, Sep 10, 2017.

southernlady

southernlady Administrator Staff Member

Larra

Larra Well-Known Member

@southernlady could you place this as a sticky? Please? We are seeing too many people struggling to get needed infusions lately. thanks!

southernlady

Added. Actually I think you can do it too. Many if the original member vets have that ability. At the top of the post on the right are "thread tools" if you are in that group. Toward the bottom is a place to click 'sticky'

DSRIGGS

DSRIGGS Yes, that is chocolate covered bacon

I saw Susan post this on FB and frankly I am not sure what to think of it because according to reference ranges for ferriten 100 isn't close to being low ....11 for women and 27 for men are typical. I am all for people getting iron transfusions when needed and for whatever reason so many Hematologists are assholes about ordering them
    ...I have no idea why....but honestly the first that popped into my mind is that this is a drug company trying to boost sales.

I also worry about people thinking that if their ferritin is around 100 that they are going to perish tomorrow if they don't get a transfusion. We all know there are people out there who will have that reaction.

So have any of you seen any studies suggesting as this site is, that ferritin under 100 is an issue and that the reference range should be adjusted accordingly? Vitamin D3 would be the situation I am thinking of where that is the case.

Anyway, just my thoughts and again, I am 100% for people being able to get transfusions when they need it so if this helps that is great.

southernlady

With WLS, keeping our ferritin above 100 is ideal. Esp since in the malasorptive surgeries. I looked at this hard before posting this. But if it can help someone who is below 100 and trending down convince their PCP or hematologist to give infusions, then it is worth posting.

Having to wait til you are below 30 as a WLS patient, esp if symptomatic, is bordering on criminal.