Incision infected. Yay.

Manapan

Surgery (laparoscopic) was 3/22 and my follow up was today. I've had a huge painful knot behind my largest incision since day 1, which the hospital staff told me not to worry about. The pain wasn't subsiding but I didn't have any fever, draining, or dehiscence so I just kept a heating pad on it most of the week when I could.

Lumpy was hurting while in the waiting room for my follow up, so I was holding my hand over it for warmth and support when I felt a gush. At that very moment they called my name for my appointment. I told them, "You're just in time. My incision appears to have ruptured just now." I have never gotten back to the consultation office so fast! Lol!

I guess if I have to have a wound infection, at least it had good timing.

Surgery (laparoscopic) was 3/22 and my follow up was today. I've had a huge painful knot behind my largest incision since day 1, which the hospital staff told me not to worry about. The pain wasn't subsiding but I didn't have any fever, draining, or dehiscence so I just kept a heating pad on it most of the week when I could.

Lumpy was hurting while in the waiting room for my follow up, so I was holding my hand over it for warmth and support when I felt a gush. At that very moment they called my name for my appointment. I told them, "You're just in time. My incision appears to have ruptured just now." I have never gotten back to the consultation office so fast! Lol!

Oh geese...maybe next time someone complains, they will act faster.

Lumpy seemed to be waiting for the perfect time lol! What did they say/do when you got into exam room? Any antibiotics needed?

Waiting to hear.

I had an infected incision, the entire length of my side-to-side (open, of course) abdominoplasty incision. The surgery was done at the VA hospital (I'm an Army vet) which was good (free), but they had no system to deliver in-home care and I needed IV antibiotics. So they readmitted me, and then they figured out what a pain in the ass I could be, they granted me "leave" between injections, except that I had to sleep there.

Lumpy seemed to be waiting for the perfect time lol! What did they say/do when you got into exam room? Any antibiotics needed?

It was pretty funny to me. The NP was kind of overwhelmed and she got the surgeon. He removed the subcuticular stitches, then showed me how to drain, flush, and dress it. I was helping with the drainage bit and the NP was just like, "You're looking at it, how are you doing this?" (I can't not. I have control issues about my medical care.)

I've been instructed to keep the wound open, flush it three times a day with hydrogen peroxide before redressing it, and take oral antibiotics four times a day for ten days. They'll see me next week to check on it.

Waiting to hear.

I had an infected incision, the entire length of my side-to-side (open, of course) abdominoplasty incision. The surgery was done at the VA hospital (I'm an Army vet) which was good (free), but they had no system to deliver in-home care and I needed IV antibiotics. So they readmitted me, and then they figured out what a pain in the ass I could be, they granted me "leave" between injections, except that I had to sleep there.

Oh my goodness, you poor thing!

Latest posts

Back