I'm so excited!!

What is the approximate cost if I were to pay on my own?

I was self-pay and went to Mexico to have it done, as did several others here. The pricing on a revision is $14,500 where I went. I ended up getting a personal loan to pay for it since my insurance would not cover it. It's more expensive in the States - I seem to recall something like $28K being the lowest I could find for my revision (lapband to DS).

@Stormy, while @BebeZed was able to get a revision from lap band to DS in Mexico, I know for a fact that her surgeon does not do RNY to DS revisions and I would doubt that he does VBG to DS revisions, at any price. these revisions are much more complex and high risk than revising from lap band to DS. I really don't think Mexico is an option for you, and not for financial reasons. Oh, I'm sure if you shopped around you could find some surgeon someplace who would give it a whirl, but it wouldn't be a good idea. So let's focus on learning about your insurance coverage and go from there.

@Stormy, while @BebeZed was able to get a revision from lap band to DS in Mexico, I know for a fact that her surgeon does not do RNY to DS revisions and I would doubt that he does VBG to DS revisions, at any price. these revisions are much more complex and high risk than revising from lap band to DS. I really don't think Mexico is an option for you, and not for financial reasons. Oh, I'm sure if you shopped around you could find some surgeon someplace who would give it a whirl, but it wouldn't be a good idea. So let's focus on learning about your insurance coverage and go from there.

True - Dr Esquerra does not do RNY to DS... not so sure about VBG but now that I think about it, you're probably right. Scratch that idea... I wasn't thinking that through and I forgot that the VBG is a very different animal. Thanks @Larra :)

@Stormy I know you want help NOW but step back and see how Diana and Larra can help you. You will need to do most of it but they can point you in the correct direction and have been successful at getting the DS for many people who thought their situation was hopeless. (headed to the RNY).

IF you are truly limited, get the sleeve (which is the stomach half of the DS) and then go later (when your insurance changes or you can afford self pay) for the rest of the DS. Not the best option but a better option than the RNY.

@Stormy I know you want help NOW but step back and see how Diana and Larra can help you. You will need to do most of it but they can point you in the correct direction and have been successful at getting the DS for many people who thought their situation was hopeless. (headed to the RNY).

IF you are truly limited, get the sleeve (which is the stomach half of the DS) and then go later (when your insurance changes or you can afford self pay) for the rest of the DS. Not the best option but a better option than the RNY.
Thank you and everyone else for you knowledge and concern. I have a couple more days to get my researching done before I call my Dr.

@Stormy - I have had a revision from a VBG (mesh) to a DS. If you have any questions at all, don't hesitate to ask me here or PM me.

As @Larra said, the revision of your type of VBG is much easier than the one I had. I self-paid with Dr Greenbaum in NJ.

Latest posts

Back