im new here Hello!

Maci Monay

Hi everyone im new to this site i just got my surgery date for the DS Friday Sept 29th and if you can help guide me to forms or useful tips id love that thank you!

Welcome @Maci Monay !

I would recommend that, while there is still time, you ask some very specific questions of your surgeon, who is known to do an experimental operation other than the DS and MAYBE (I don't want to make accusations without firm proof) is calling it the DS, or just like the DS, or an improvement on the DS, or some such thing. It's known by a bunch of different names, including SADI, or SIPS, or loop DS, and it's NOT recognized as a standard of care bariatric operation. The real, standard of care DS, with 2 anastomoses, has been standard of care since about 2004 and is the one with all the stellar long term results. Long term results of this newer operation are not known, and in addition, most insurance companies don't cover it, so surgeons either use the code for the real DS (which it isn't) or cobble together a couple other existing codes that don't even make sense together.
It is unfortunate that patients have to be so careful, and can't just trust our doctors, but there is a lot of strange stuff going on in the world of bariatric surgery, patients are a vulnerable, sometimes desperate group, and you must do your due diligence. It is also unfortunate that your surgery date is so close, but better now than after.

Hi and welcome @Maci Monay!

September 29 is just a hop skip and jump away, so at this point, I'd recommend the following:

- Prepare your hospital bag - should be light - won't need much, but some find it helpful to bring things like chapstick, bathrobe (so as not to moon others while taking walks in the hallway), flushable wet wipes & air freshener for bathroom needs, etc.

- Also good to get home in superclean mode so you won't be tempted to lift and bend unnecessarily upon your return. Prepare your rest and relaxation zones. I found having a stepstool next to my bed (the foldable 3 step variety), made getting in and out easier / less painful. I also used a cane to get in and out of chairs (including the toilet) for a few days. Good to place a few bottles of water and a box of tissues on the nightstand and next to the recliner or armchair where you will spend time.

- If applicable, consider making arrangements with friends or family for assistance with pet and child care for the first week back.

Best wishes! :) Hilary

Latest posts

Back