If You are Old, You are Probably NOT getting enough Protein!

Munchkin

Full of Fairy Dust
http://ajpendo.physiology.org/content/308/1/E21

I tried to post the whole article but I can't. It's too long. Maybe @JackieOnLine or @southernlady can post it for me.

The quick and dirty version is they are finding many older people have protein malnutrition that is leading to un-necessary muscle loss. Many older people would maintain much better if they got about twice the recommended amount of protein.

Looked at articles that cited this one:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4889643/
Live strong and prosper: the importance of skeletal muscle strength for healthy ageing

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4924200/
Protein Consumption and the Elderly: What Is the Optimal Level of Intake?
"3. Conclusions
Elderly adults are less responsive to the anabolic stimulus of low doses of amino acid intake compared to younger adults [18]. However, this lack of responsiveness in elderly adults can be overcome with higher levels of protein consumption [18]. This is also reflected in studies comparing varying levels of protein intake [19]. This suggests that the lack of muscle responsiveness to lower doses of protein in older adults can be overcome with a higher level of protein intake. The requirement for a larger dose of protein to generate responses in elderly adults similar to the responses in younger adults provides the support for a beneficial effect of increased protein in elderly populations [8]. The consumption of dietary protein consistent with the upper end of the AMDRs (as much as 30%–35% of total caloric intake) may prove to be beneficial, although practical limitations may make this level of dietary protein intake difficult. The consumption of high-quality proteins that are easily digestible and contain a high proportion of EAAs lessens the urgency of consuming diets with an extremely high protein content."

If "normies" need 125 g of protein per day (roughly translated for a 180 pound body at the guidance of 1.5 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight), then an older DS person would need over 200 g protein? Aren't we better served by adjusting our diet based on blood tests? As I have grown older, I am eating beyond my appetite, because I know I have to meet the DS protein targets even if I am not hungry. It is harder because I am having dental implants put in and am having trouble chewing. Couldn't do 200g/d.

If "normies" need 125 g of protein per day (roughly translated for a 180 pound body at the guidance of 1.5 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight), then an older DS person would need over 200 g protein? Aren't we better served by adjusting our diet based on blood tests? As I have grown older, I am eating beyond my appetite, because I know I have to meet the DS protein targets even if I am not hungry. It is harder because I am having dental implants put in and am having trouble chewing. Couldn't do 200g/d.
You could always supplement with a quality protein shake or Unjury chicken soup. I find that often I can drink when eating is overwhelming.

I wonder how many grams of protein elderly rehab patients should be getting? we have many people in their 90s who have trouble eating more than small amounts for various reasons - and are frequently either constipated or the opposite - and they seem to get the High Carb diet. seriously, pancakes as far as the eye can see o_O

I wonder how many grams of protein elderly rehab patients should be getting? we have many people in their 90s who have trouble eating more than small amounts for various reasons - and are frequently either constipated or the opposite - and they seem to get the High Carb diet. seriously, pancakes as far as the eye can see o_O
I agree. I remember my Grandma seemed to LIVE on toast with butter and jelly and black coffee. My mom's theory was those things were easy to eat!

yes, they are easy and also cheap - and nursing homes worry about weight loss frequently...and people tend to like them.

but muscle loss! you know, some of the long term residents tend to rotate in and out of therapy because after we d/c them they get weak again. I just assumed it was inactivity but now I suspect it could be that AND not enough protein.:(

I agree. I remember my Grandma seemed to LIVE on toast with butter and jelly and black coffee. My mom's theory was those things were easy to eat!
One of my aunts was rail thin and lived on plain toast, black coffee, and cigarettes. They were getting ready to stick my uncle in the local VA home because of his dementia. Unfortunately, shedied of a heart attack just before hand. She was in her early 70's.

Latest posts

Back