I just want to wear heels again!

GrammyLuLu

I know this may seem silly. But I absolutely love shoes always have always will. With the onset of arthritis in my knees and hips and weight gain I have given up wearing heels. I cannot tell you how many pairs of beautiful heels I have given away or donated. It has made me so sad that I cannot wear heels.(without the probability of hurting myself lol)I am hoping that after my surgery I will be able to wear heels again. Is this a petty and stupid thing to want?
Did you have that "one thing" you wanted to accomplish with your weight loss?

Girlfriend, I soooooo feel you on this and it is not silly. I used to wear heels quite a lot, but after gaining so much weight and suffering a chronic foot injury, I just couldn't wear them anymore. I am 5 months post op from a DS and I've finally been able to start wearing lower heels again. I wear boots with heels to work (teaching) and it's liberating. Yeah, my feet ache after a long day and my chronic injury is still there, but it is no longer crippling pain--I can put my foot down and put weight on it after a day of work, even if I wear the heels.

I don't know if I have the "one thing" I want to accomplish with my weight loss because there are a lot of things. But, one thing that is coming up that I would like to accomplish is flying without needing a seatbelt extender. I was put through the humiliation of being publicly fat shamed by a rude mean flight attendant in January when I was returning home from a family visit for the holidays. It was, quite honestly, the worst degradation I had ever suffered in public and the fact that I PAID for the privilege of being treated like such shit really upset me. Plus, my daughter was with me and it crushed me that she had to see me treated that way.

Anyway, after the asshole flight attendant fat shamed me and made a huge public display of having to hand me a seatbelt extender, I wound up taking that extender with me. Yes, I made it a five finger keeper because I refused to have to ask for an extender again on my next flight. I've used it a few times since then. My upcoming "dream" is to be able to fly without needing it during the holidays this season. If I get to the return flight in my upcoming Thanksgiving flight without needing the extender, I plan to leave it on the plane, marking a full-circle moment and an emotional triumph.

I don't know if I am thin enough at this point. I've lost nearly 80lbs from my starting weight and that is the weight I was when the fat shaming incident occurred. I'm not sure whether 80lbs will do the trick, but I am hopeful!

The "one thing" I wanted to achieve with my weight loss was to be able to sit on the floor/ground at an outdoor concert, beach, etc. and get up somewhat gracefully, without making a spectacle of myself! ACHIEVED! :)

I've never liked wearing heels and avoid them at all costs, so can't relate to that goal, but wish you the best with it!

I love heels too but I have a hard time finding ones I can actually walk in. Heels that fit and heels I can walk in are 2 different things. Totally illogical I know but the last pair I had that worked were Guess and they had a 4in heel. I could walk in them forever. I wish I could figure out what it was about those heels that made them work for me so I would stop wasting money on shoes I can't wear!

I just wanted to be able to sit with my legs crossed. Well, and fit into normal size cute clothes. Not really a shoeperson, but boots, well, that is another story

Girlfriend, I soooooo feel you on this and it is not silly. I used to wear heels quite a lot, but after gaining so much weight and suffering a chronic foot injury, I just couldn't wear them anymore. I am 5 months post op from a DS and I've finally been able to start wearing lower heels again. I wear boots with heels to work (teaching) and it's liberating. Yeah, my feet ache after a long day and my chronic injury is still there, but it is no longer crippling pain--I can put my foot down and put weight on it after a day of work, even if I wear the heels.

I don't know if I have the "one thing" I want to accomplish with my weight loss because there are a lot of things. But, one thing that is coming up that I would like to accomplish is flying without needing a seatbelt extender. I was put through the humiliation of being publicly fat shamed by a rude mean flight attendant in January when I was returning home from a family visit for the holidays. It was, quite honestly, the worst degradation I had ever suffered in public and the fact that I PAID for the privilege of being treated like such shit really upset me. Plus, my daughter was with me and it crushed me that she had to see me treated that way.

Anyway, after the asshole flight attendant fat shamed me and made a huge public display of having to hand me a seatbelt extender, I wound up taking that extender with me. Yes, I made it a five finger keeper because I refused to have to ask for an extender again on my next flight. I've used it a few times since then. My upcoming "dream" is to be able to fly without needing it during the holidays this season. If I get to the return flight in my upcoming Thanksgiving flight without needing the extender, I plan to leave it on the plane, marking a full-circle moment and an emotional triumph.

I don't know if I am thin enough at this point. I've lost nearly 80lbs from my starting weight and that is the weight I was when the fat shaming incident occurred. I'm not sure whether 80lbs will do the trick, but I am hopeful!

Adding for those who don't already know...not all seatbelt extenders are the same. So even if you buy your own, it may not work on every flight.

Oh...and for those who pretend that they are buckled in...don't be an ass. Your body hurling through the plane could seriously injure or kill someone...or even you.

The "one thing" I wanted to achieve with my weight loss was to be able to sit on the floor/ground at an outdoor concert, beach, etc. and get up somewhat gracefully, without making a spectacle of myself! ACHIEVED! :)
I still do...but has nothing to do with my weight and everything to do with my lousy knees.

if you want to wear heels, I would guess you can but I'd caution you to let yourself settle before you spend a lot on new anything.

because I bought a bunch of new shoes - a couple with heels - which was exciting but later, I didn't want them. they still hurt even if they fit. but, oh, it was almost worth it to see myself in them. :laugh:

boot even more so! calves that FIT in the boots! :geek:

@writegirl I am so sorry you had that awful experience. I have been lucky have not had flight attendants be rude to me because I want to be safe and use an extender. I can squeeze into the regular seat belts but I want to be comfortable too its already a tight squeeze into the 17" wide seats. LOL!

Adding for those who don't already know...not all seatbelt extenders are the same. So even if you buy your own, it may not work on every flight.

Oh...and for those who pretend that they are buckled in...don't be an ass. Your body hurling through the plane could seriously injure or kill someone...or even you.
When I was flying every week, I may have taken more than one extender to be able to buckle myself in the myriad of latches. There's no pictures so it may not have happened.

I love heels too but I have a hard time finding ones I can actually walk in. Heels that fit and heels I can walk in are 2 different things. Totally illogical I know but the last pair I had that worked were Guess and they had a 4in heel. I could walk in them forever. I wish I could figure out what it was about those heels that made them work for me so I would stop wasting money on shoes I can't wear!
I DEMAND A RE-POST OF THAT PIC OF YOUR LEGS WITH THOSE HEELS!!

Latest posts

Back