I hurt and I'm freaked out

Dawn

I'm 4 weeks out now but the drinking isn't getting any easier. It really hurts to swallow. I've tinkered with some of the soft foods but it was worse.

I was having an issue with acid burning my throat so started prepcid ac.

So I'm freaked out because my mind keeps going to it's another leak. Probably not logical but hey that's how I roll lol. I have a scope on 9/16 and then followup on 9/22 to see what's going on.

When someone says a revision is different and much harder they are not kidding.

I use Prevacid Solutab. (Rx only.) They dissolve in your mouth.

I am not the science guy here, but, Dawn...you have just had a stomach reconstructed out of a stomach that had been left "dormant" for seven years. (And other stuff I do not understand.). But if acid is coming up into your throat, sounds to me like there is no leak and everything is hooked up just fine...just that you are overproducing acids.

Please! Someone who knows what I'm saying, help me on this!

If it's ANY consolation, I was pretty sure, for about eleven weeks, that I had made a huge mistake. And my revision was from the band, so it was not as complicated.

Sleep sitting up, do what you can for pain relief and in a week, you will know a lot more.

Sue

Did the Dr check for a hiatal hernia during surgery? I had a repair on the original and the revision. You can treat Reflux by avoiding all acidic and caffeine food and drink. Also no eating three hrs before sleep. I sleep in a recliner still. Even the wedge didn't help. The best over the counter I used before getting prescriptions was Gaviscon.

I use Prevacid Solutab. (Rx only.) They dissolve in your mouth.

I am not the science guy here, but, Dawn...you have just had a stomach reconstructed out of a stomach that had been left "dormant" for seven years. (And other stuff I do not understand.). But if acid is coming up into your throat, sounds to me like there is no leak and everything is hooked up just fine...just that you are overproducing acids.

Please! Someone who knows what I'm saying, help me on this!

If it's ANY consolation, I was pretty sure, for about eleven weeks, that I had made a huge mistake. And my revision was from the band, so it was not as complicated.

Sleep sitting up, do what you can for pain relief and in a week, you will know a lot more.

Sue
Thank you Sue I really appreciate your reassurance. I wanted to get Prevacid but it's not sold in Canada.

I'm sorry you are going through this and I don't really know the answer - except if you are having acid you need to take something else or more or something - don't put up with that.

have you reported this to your doctor? there are prescription PPI besides over the counter.

I hope you get some relief soon.

I was also given Pepcid for right after my surgery and it did absolutely nothing to help. As soon as I started on a PPI (proton pump inhibitor) it made the world of difference.
I don't know which PPI's are available in Canada and which aren't. It may even vary by province. But get one OTC or get your doc to prescribe whatever PPI you have in Canada. For me, Prilosec was the answer, and that's the oldest one and not expensive so hopefully it's available to you. In the USA we can get it OTC or by prescription and it's found everywhere.

For me, Prilosec was the answer, and that's the oldest one and not expensive so hopefully it's available to you. In the USA we can get it OTC or by prescription and it's found everywhere.
This is how different every body is. Prilosec did NOTHING for me. I had to use prevacid or protonix.

But like Larra said...just get whatever one you can and try it.

I got no relief until finally an Rx for protonix was issued. That made all the difference. Ask for something different, be persistent, etc. there's no reason to suffer.

Is Nexium available OTC in Canada? That might help, as it is another PPI.

I called my DR this morning omeprazole are only available by prescription here in Ont. So they are calling one in for me.

Prilosec is a brand name of omeprazole. This is at least a good starting place. I hope they help you as they did me. But if they don't, call your DR and get something different. Keep trying til you find the drug that works for you.

I got no relief until finally an Rx for protonix was issued. That made all the difference. Ask for something different, be persistent, etc. there's no reason to suffer.

Is Nexium available OTC in Canada? That might help, as it is another PPI.
Nexium and Prilosec are the same company. BUT slightly different formulas.

I DO know that once Prilosec went generic most insurance plans had a cow if you actually needed to use something else, INCLUDING Nexium.

This is the prescription they gave me.

Attachments

• 2014-09-09 17.20.59.jpg
    2014-09-09 17.20.59.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Back