I have so many questions.

Ray_Of_Fricken_Sunshine

Hey Y'all!
I haven't posted in little while, but I've been here, lurking around, checking in on everyone! LoL. I have been trying to work a lot of things out, and I could really use your advice.
So, a month ago, I posted that after my 3 month checkup, I had lost around 75 lbs. They did blood tests, and the nurse said that my copper was elevated. She said that causes irritability, exhaustion, and extreme hair loss (all of which I'm battling with). She told me to start taking 1000mg Vitamin C daily, and to up my protein intake to 110g daily. Also, as a side note, I've lost about %70 of my hair. It was suggested that I go to a dermatologist, and I did. I mentioned that my facial hair has been more prominent lately, also. She increased my Spirenelactone from 25mg to 100mg. She said that would help with both issues.
I'm so all over the place, and I don't even know where to start.
I've been weak as hell. I mean, I've lost quite a bit of muscle, and I don't have all the weight I used to have to be able to throw around...BUT, that's not the kind of weak I'm talking about. I have zero energy, and I perpetually feel like I have large rubber bands tethering me down. Every movement is an effort, and I'm tired all the time. Every time I stand up, I get light-headed as hell. For the last month-month and a half, I've had the most godawful cramps that wake me up every morning. It's always the same muscle in my leg... Nowhere else. There is no correlation between what I'm eating/drinking, excersizing, or daily actions and these cramps.
And lastly, I only lost 9 lbs in the last month. I know weight obsession is bad, and I promise I'm not obsessing. It's just a significant decrease. This is my 4th month postop, and I didn't expect it to slow down so drastically so suddenly. I consistantly eat less than 20g carbs/day, and those carbs come from dairy and nuts, mostly. I don't stray at all, mostly because EVERYTHING causes painful and embarrassing gas, if not BM issues; but also because I'm adamant on following advice from a few of the verterans that recommend maximizing your weightloss during the honeymoon period while you can.
The worse I feel, the more reclusive I become. My husband had been pressuring me to post here for weeks. I have been avoiding it because I hate being negative. This post is long enough, so I'll work on making a positive post later to balance it out! LoL
So, is there anything that stands out to y'all?

Some become lactose intolerant post-op. Are you taking Lactaid with the dairy you consume, or have you considered trying lactose-free versions of some foods?

This response is addressing the pain/gas issue if the pain comes after eating dairy.

Was an iron panel included on your blood tests? (This ? is re fatigue.)

Your hair loss is absolutely normal reaction to long periods under general anesthesia. It will, in all likelihood, grow back. Meanwhile, a "pixie cut."

Last edited:
I don't have discomfort after eating meat or dairy. Everything outside of the meat and dairy that I eat daily causes issues.
I frequently eat yogurt and cheese, put HWC in my coffee/tea with no problems!

I don't have the D.S, yet, so I'm sure others can provide a little more insight into that situation. I do know a lot about hair loss however. So I'll give you my two cents on that. Are you on spiro because you have elevated androgens? Elevated testosterone? and more importantly elevated DHT? Have you had a biopsy to confirm androgen sensitivity? It sounds like (because of the increase in facial hair) that you probably do. And thats fine, but right now you just upped your dose of a medication that could be causing or exacerbating some of your other symptoms
So heres my advice. Find yourself a hairpiece. I know, you may be incensed that someone just recommended that. But you need to be focusing on your health right now. You can worry about your hair later. I know how important hair is as a woman and some hair, even if its not hair you grew, can help a lot. It can save you some trips to the bathroom to look in the mirror for hair that is not growing. People on here will tell you obsession with weight is bad, but I can tell you obsession with hair is a similar rabbit hole. I'm guessing it would also help your increasing self isolation if you felt a little bit better about how you looked.
You are doing great on your weight loss. And you are having a hard time otherwise. If theres something that you can table right now until you fix other parts of the equation, then do so. Your hair could very well grow back, but it will probably take a while. In the meantime, you'd be surprised what a cosmetic band aid could do for you.
I hope you can find some help for the other issues you describe.

I have not been biopsied, but I've had PCOS for the majority of my life. I knew about the very real possibility of hair loss with surgery, but I had no idea that this much would fall out. I asked repeatedly if the increased dosage of the spirenelactone would effect me in any other way, and was assured that it wouldn't.
I am not attached to taking this high dosage whatsoever. It doesn't seem to have helped at all, anyways!
I need to follow up with my wrought lids surgery stag and my OBGYN. We need to all be on the same page, and I don't feel like we are, lately.
Thanks for the thoughtful response, @Eztli !

Sorry you're going through all this.

A few thoughts...

Leg cramps: potassium, calcium and dehydration. Increase them all. Low potassium levels can result in lack of stamina.

How are your zinc levels? Profound hair loss after DS may be caused by insufficient zinc. (Do you have itchy skin?) Low zinc levels cause exhaustion, too.

Hope you get this resolved ASAP.

I think there is some kind of hormonal imbalance going on, or some kind of vitamin or mineral deficiency (or too elevated level, maybe) but given the long history of PCOS and being on a medication most of us don't take, I don't have a specific answer. I do agree with what you just wrote about getting all your docs on the same page, because this isn't something with a simple fix and it isn't the usual for the DS. It's some kind of combination of problems, I suspect.
@Eztli gave you great advice about the wig. I have a very good friend who has never had any kind of bariatric surgery who struggled with hair loss for many years. I don't know the cause, but she saw dermatologists and tried everything imaginable with no success. Now she has the cutest wig you ever saw and she looks adorable. Losing 70% of your hair seems excessive even with the DS, so again I think there is more to the story, but in the meantime, looking your best can do wonders for your frame of mind.
And as far as the weight loss goes, 75 lbs in 3 months is astounding! It's probably a good thing that you slowed down for awhile. Don't fret, you aren't done losing yet.

Post your labs please. Do not trust what the nurse tells you -- get your labs for yourself. The muscle cramps, weakness, etc. are all serious.

Just some anecdotal information. Several years after my RNY my copper became very elevated. At the same time, my B vits were extremely low. Once my B vits were corrected the copper went down.

Regarding the weight loss -- 9 pounds in a month is good. It is not about how many pounds you lose each month but the total amount lost. We all get there at different rates.

@Munchkin Yes, that's what I take. After reading through that page, I'm a bit embarrassed that I didn't independently look into that. I've been taking it for years for edema and high blood pressure, but also because the PCOS caused heavy facial hair growth and caused my hair to thin. This med helped all of that. It was the only one of my meds that they kept me on postop, but initially had reduced the dosage. @CaitlynR I actually am working on getting everything into a spreadsheet, so when it's done, I will certainly post it!
@Clematis and @Larra Thanks so much for the kind words and encouragement!
And @Spiky Bugger I have actually been trying to work up the courage to chop this hair off. I only have 17 strands of hair, but they're long!

@Settledownnow I know I'm supposed to post my labs, but I didn't because I thought they were preemptive. My surgeon asked that I had 3 month labs because I talked him down to a 100cm CC.
Anyways I'm going to post the labs in the lab section. Please have a look!!

Last edited:
@Settledownnow I know I'm supposed o post my las, but I didn't because I thought they were preemptive. My surgeon asked that I had 3 month labs because I talked him down to a 100cm CC.
Anyways I'm going to post the labs in the lab section. Please have a look!!

interesting, my doctor requires labs every three months for the first year regardless. it's strange there's so much variability in this

I just looked through my last lab order, which is smaller than the previous one

labs.jpeg

Latest posts

Back