I have an interesting dilemma

southernlady

Administrator
Staff member
First world problem

Okay, before all this mess with my mouth happened, at 138, I was starting to undergrow my clothes. I wear a size 8 in pants, mostly due to my waist. I probably could have worn a 6 if I could get closed.

Now, my pants are baggy everywhere and even lose in the waist. And my belt has no more holes so I can tighten them.

Told hubby I may need new jeans. I hate shopping even now cause I don’t care for how things fit. Finding a 31 - 32 length in Costco is painful. Their 8’s are all 30’s, their 6’s are 29. I’m not that short from my crotch to my feet.

Back about 7/8 years ago, I found the best jeans. Made by DKNY, size 8/30 slim boyfriend at Costco, paid about $20 a pair, ended up with 6 pair that year. Costco hasn’t carried that make since then. Online, they run damned near $100 each. I’ll pay $20 but nothing more than $25.

I HATE changing sizes.

I HATE changing sizes.
amen!

but I do it all the time: up, down, up , down, up, down ; you know that's not normal. :cautious:

have you ever shopped Landsend? they have great customer service and some styles of pants (not sure about jeans but maybe) you can choose your length and also have them hemmed to your specifications. worth try, but usually too expensive. but clearance prices work!

Look at the Levis on Amazon. I found some size 8/30 for $12 and change. You pick the size and the length!
amen!

but I do it all the time: up, down, up , down, up, down ; you know that's not normal. :cautious:

have you ever shopped Landsend? they have great customer service and some styles of pants (not sure about jeans but maybe) you can choose your length and also have them hemmed to your specifications. worth try, but usually too expensive. but clearance prices work!
I’ll look at both places, I probably need to actually try on a pair of Levi’s. Most of my jeans are stretch material. Some still make theirs all cotton. At least with Amazon Wardrobe, I can try them on for free at home.

it doesn’t help that my hips and my waist are almost the same size. Even at my fittest in May 1981 just as I reported for ROTC Advanced Camp at Ft. Bragg, NC, my hips were a 29, my waist a 28. Most women have a 10-12 inch difference when in good shape. It’s why I refer to my torso as a small whiskey barrel.

Last edited:
I can understand your dilemma. I need a heavily padded sneaker but don't want to pay a ton bc it's going to be in a larger size (due to a brace) than I'll need when the brace is off.

I struggle with jeans too. It’s one reason I wanted to learn to sew, to make my own pants (and bra’s). I am 5’5” and wear a size 8 pants fairly across the board.

That said, Gloria Vanderbilt Amanda jeans are a fairly consistent win for me in jeans. I buy the petite length to get the ankle pant look and the regular length for a length that goes down to my shoes. They are $20 or less at Costco online. If you buy them and don’t like them you just return to the warehouse.

A lot of people like Old Navy jeans, but I’ve never been able to fit them. Thy can also be bought online it’s good sales and returned in store.

I do okay with GV Amanda jeans. The main issue for me is if the hips fit,, I can’t button the waist. To get the waist right, it’s baggy everywhere else.

i currently have three pairs.

But my waist/hip ratio is why I like the slim boyfriend cut. They are cut more like mens jeans.

I do okay with GV Amanda jeans. The main issue for me is if the hips fit,, I can’t button the waist. To get the waist right, it’s baggy everywhere else.

i currently have three pairs.

But my waist/hip ratio is why I like the slim boyfriend cut. They are cut more like mens jeans.
I was thinking about this last night. Since it looks like you are going to have to actually shop anyway, try on jeans meant for boys! They might be perfect!

Well, now…my measurements are the same. Not the same as YOURS, all the same as each other.

So once I accepted that I had all the curves of a deck of cards, I found a woman who tickles the shit out of me. Why? Because she’s a blonde, black woman named Greenstein…and who sounds like my neighbor Mrs. Einstein did when she talks, except she said “effin” on air…lol.

She’s the designer of “Women with Control” fashions at QVC. I tried one pair of black pants with a not-quite-maternity style waist, and went back and bought a second pair of black, plus grey and sage and some purple-y color and something else. I think her jeans are a bit too high fashion for folks looking for actual jeans.

This won’t solve the jeans issue, BUT if you should need something other than jeans, she might have a solution for you.

https://www.qvc.com/fashion/pants/w...rrentPage=1&sort=Price+-+Low+to+High#plModule

ETA: Navy blue, too.

Last edited:
Well, now…my measurements are the same. Not the same as YOURS, all the same as each other.

So once I accepted that I had all the curves of a deck of cards, I found a woman who tickles the shit out of me. Why? Because she’s a blonde, black woman named Greenstein…and who sounds like my neighbor Mrs. Einstein did when she talks, except she said “effin” on air…lol.

She’s the designer of “Women with Control” fashions at QVC. I tried one pair of black pants with a not-quite-maternity style waist, and went back and bought a second pair of black, plus grey and sage and some purple-y color and something else. I think her jeans are a bit too high fashion for folks looking for actual jeans.

This won’t solve the jeans issue, BUT if you should need something other than jeans, she might have a solution for you.

https://www.qvc.com/fashion/pants/w...rrentPage=1&sort=Price+-+Low+to+High#plModule

ETA: Navy blue, too.
Thanks for the link. I seldom, almost never wear regular pants. If I can’t wear jeans, I’ll do a dress or skirt. I actually have 2 pair of corduroy pants, one still has the tag on it and they are over 4 years old. But then, until this year, we’ve spent the winder in the warmer south. This year, due to our budget being busted, we aren’t traveling but staying put. And since this area sees actual winter, as in many days of snow, I might actually wear them.

We’re in Tucson at a KOA resort, doing a shakedown trip on the RV after it spent the summer at the shop (long story), to make sure everything works before we leave on the 26th for several weeks in CA. Good thing we did, because several things need to be fixed next week before we go. Plus I wanted to get the kittens used to the RV before the long trip.

I thought I brought my bathing suit but I apparently didn’t. I was talking to my daughter about the really cute retro 2 piece suit she bought on Amazing n, that I had tried on and the bottom fit me but the top was too small, and found a really cute one similar to hers, but with flamingos (!) which we both like, so I was asking what size she bought. In our discussion, she made the following suggestion:
  • Buy two suits, one XL and one XXL
  • Use the bottom for the XL, and the top from the XXL
  • Give her the XXL bottom and XL top

Is she my daughter or what?

(After the second suit arrived, I found my old suit in the closet.)

Latest posts

Back