I got the job!!!

I can't adequately describe how much I appreciate all of y'all and your support. The job offer came as a complete surprise, as the last I was told was that they did not have funding for any additional teaching faculty positions for this year. Tbh, I was the beneficiary of some incredible circumstances. Good friends and dear colleagues of mine (a husband and wife duo) who were Distinguished Lecturers in our department (an actual title) had to take a leave last year to care for ailing parents in Canada. Sadly, the ailing parents both passed earlier this year leaving them with a rather enormous estate (Huge farm with horses, equipment, employees, and various outbuildings) and a large home in the town to deal with in will and probate. It became impossible for them to return to Tennessee and, in all honesty, they are both ready to set up steaks at the family farm and make a go of it there.

So, with little notice to anyone (including my department), two positions materialized. I am sad that my opportunity to rejoin my department came at a great loss to them. That said, I am fortunate to have had them A.) make the decision to vacate their positions at exactly the right time and B.) be willing to share all their materials with me to make taking over their classes a bit easier. They are both super positive about how everything worked out. I was Skyping with them last night and they reassured me that they both believe that everything worked out exactly as it was supposed to and that they're happy all the turmoil in their own lives resulted in some security in my life.

My department has been awesome about making sure I know that they wanted to keep me the entire time, it was just a matter of funding a position for me. Sometimes things just fall into place. I hope that this situation results in good things to come for everyone involved.

Latest posts

Back