I AM APPROVED!!!!!

MamaShelia

Here is short synopsis of my WLS journey:

July 2000 RNY with Steven Olchowski in NC

2005 Olchowski lost his license in NC for performing variations on the RNY, even mini gastric bypasses

2006 I start having internal bleeding issues---26mths, 3 colonoscopies, 3 endoscopies, 1 camera endoscopy, and a CT scan later---it was found that I had 2 hernias and one had ripped a tear in my intestine (surgery 2008)

April 2014 my sister shared that she is seeking wls, I started scouring OH website for info for her and I learned revisions were possible

June 2014, saw my PCP and she was agreeable to helping in any way she could

August 2014 I picked up CIGNA as my primary insurance thru work

(as Tricare was our family insurance and has a once a lifetime policy for wls)

Oct 2014 Met with Dr. Folahan in TX (8 hours from my home)

November 24th packet sent in for pre authorization to CIGNA

December 4th denied by CIGNA because of no proof of compliance with post op (argued that all of that was lost when he lost his practice in NC) and because my BMI is 46 and not 50 or greater

Jan 5th sent my packet of information to my surgeon to begin the appeal process

Jan 16th peer to peer done; APPROVED!!!!!

(RNY TO DS REVISION)

There is no expiration date on my approval letter, according to surgeon’s office, and they did not submit a date with it. I am praying for June 10th, summer break, so that I can have time to heal and take care of myself, learn my new body and new insides before going back as a high school teacher.

Office mgr is going to set it up for that, and hope that it all goes through well!

YAYAYAYAYAYAAYAYAYAYAAAAAAAA!

Thanks for all of your suggestions and support!

Shelia

Um ... Folahan? I don't believe I've ever heard of him as a virgin DS surgeon, much less as a revision surgeon for the MUCH more technically complicated RNY to DS surgery. There are only about 5 surgeons in the US who have the skills to do that, and he isn't (to my knowledge) one of them. Not even close.

Can you at LEAST go to Ayoola in Denton? He trained with the late Dr. Stewart, and I believe he has recently started doing RNY to DS revisions. I'd go to him in a heartbeat over someone I've never heard of as a DS surgeon. But if you can go to Keshishian or Rabkin in CA, I'd move heaven and earth to do that instead - THEY are the pros.

Um ... Folahan? I don't believe I've ever heard of him as a virgin DS surgeon, much less as a revision surgeon for the MUCH more technically complicated RNY to DS surgery. There are only about 5 surgeons in the US who have the skills to do that, and he isn't (to my knowledge) one of them. Not even close.

Can you at LEAST go to Ayoola in Denton? He trained with the late Dr. Stewart, and I believe he has recently started doing RNY to DS revisions. I'd go to him in a heartbeat over someone I've never heard of as a DS surgeon. But if you can go to Keshishian or Rabkin in CA, I'd move heaven and earth to do that instead - THEY are the pros.
HAHAHAH! Diana it IS Ayoola....Folahan is his first name...in my excitement I goofed! =0)

Meh - I knew it sounded VAGUELY familiar - that's why I said "I don't BELIEVE I've ever heard of him ..." (I first wrote "I've never heard of him" and then went back and fixed it). OK, that's good! NOW I'll say congratulations, because I'm not as worried!

Meh - I knew it sounded VAGUELY familiar - that's why I said "I don't BELIEVE I've ever heard of him ..." (I first wrote "I've never heard of him" and then went back and fixed it). OK, that's good! NOW I'll say congratulations, because I'm not as worried!
Thanks for looking out for all of us!

Congratulations!
Please keep us posted as you move forward, and esp regarding your experience with Dr. Ayoola for RNY to DS revision. There are so few surgeons doing this operation and it's great to know he has joined the ranks.

Congratulations!
Please keep us posted as you move forward, and esp regarding your experience with Dr. Ayoola for RNY to DS revision. There are so few surgeons doing this operation and it's great to know he has joined the ranks.
Larra, I definitely will! Thanks so much for your personal encouragement and support! I am excited to help Dr. Ayoola grow his practice in this area. I have the utmost confidence in his skill for this revision, more importantly, my husband feels confident in him! =0)

Latest posts

Back