How potent is your probiotic?

KathrynK

The FDA doesn't test supplements for quality or content, but supposedly this company does. Labdoor says "We independently buy supplements from retail stores and test them in chemistry labs. Then we publish the results and expert reviews for free, so you can buy the right products for you."

It is a little concerning that they sell some of the products the tested, but they do not sell all of them, so take it for what it is worth. The linked to their probiotic list is here and it tells you how potent the probiotic is. Culturelle and Digestive Advantage won the test; Pearls had the lowest score. https://labdoor.com/rankings/probiotics. This fact was not surprising: "Total viable bacteria ranged from 0% to 308% of the products’ stated label claims."

They rate other vitamins and supplements, and their zinc ratings are interesting (Garden of Life scored highest), but they don't have water-soluble ADEKs in their list. On Nature Made, my zinc levels plummeted, but on TwinLabs they stabilized, so I always thought potency was an issue with some brands. For us, our blood levels provide the most valuable information about vitamin supplement potency, and I have changed brands is something is amiss.

They will also independently test a supplement for someone taking it (who can afford to hire them). You figure that the companies with products that ranked lowest on their tests would sue if the tests couldn't be replicated, so perhaps the tests were conducted reliably. It may just clever marketing, but it might provoke testing by a truly independent company. Mark Cuban of SharkTank (a TV show) is one of the investors in Labdoor.

Latest posts

Back