how much exercise do you need?

Any, and I mean ANY physical activity that raises your heart rate and activates muscle growth IS exercise. I do not care what any PA or trainer thinks he or she knows. I DEFY them to spend a day working on demolishing a deck, humping framing lumber or wheeling concrete IN THE HEAT with me and then see if they still think it isn't exercise or even feel like training at the end of my work day (which I still do).

I will agree that what ever type of physical activity it is NEEDS to be repeated on a regular basis, multiple times a week. No, I don't wheel concrete every day and I'm sure nobody is engaged in perpetual renovations or garage cleaning at home, who would want to? But for them to say that these types of activities are not "exercise" is bull shit. It may not be regimented but it damn sure counts.

Any, and I mean ANY physical activity that raises your heart rate and activates muscle growth IS exercise. I do not care what any PA or trainer thinks he or she knows. I DEFY them to spend a day working on demolishing a deck, humping framing lumber or wheeling concrete IN THE HEAT with me and then see if they still think it isn't exercise or even feel like training at the end of my work day (which I still do).

I will agree that what ever type of physical activity it is NEEDS to be repeated on a regular basis, multiple times a week. No, I don't wheel concrete every day and I'm sure nobody is engaged in perpetual renovations or garage cleaning at home, who would want to? But for them to say that these types of activities are not "exercise" is bull shit. It may not be regimented but it damn sure counts.

I agree 100% and also with what @southernlady 's “Handyman” said! Let me have her for just one day of working around my house, yard, garage etc, ESPECIALLY in this God forsaken Texas HEAT and she’d be begging to go back to her nice plush air conditioned Gym :laugh: !!

Activity isn't exercise, per se. The more active you are, the less "exercise" you need. Activity will burn calories, but for a health heart and bones etc. you need to hit some heart rate targets and keep it there over a certain amount of time, regularly. Bone strength comes from weight bearing exercise, but most people who have been obese don't need to lift weights for bone strength, since we've been doing some pretty serious weight bearing exercise our whole lives. You'll want to lift weight to keep your muscle mass, and to develop balanced musculature, which prevents injury you need to do something. Weight lifting, yoga, pilates...etc.

Activity isn't exercise, per se. The more active you are, the less "exercise" you need. Activity will burn calories, but for a health heart and bones etc. you need to hit some heart rate targets and keep it there over a certain amount of time, regularly. Bone strength comes from weight bearing exercise, but most people who have been obese don't need to lift weights for bone strength, since we've been doing some pretty serious weight bearing exercise our whole lives. You'll want to lift weight to keep your muscle mass, and to develop balanced musculature, which prevents injury you need to do something. Weight lifting, yoga, pilates...etc.

Well said! I think that's what I was trying to say.

I still feel the PA is both right and wrong, had they said something along these lines I think it would have made much more sense than flat out discounting an active lifestyle altogether.

Latest posts

Back