How long out?

Kristaz

how long was everyone out of work? I am going out of town for surgery so I will be there for 10 days. How long should I plan to be out of work? I have an office job so not a ton of activity.

If you were a revision do you feel that your healing time was longer/worse with the 2nd surgery?

I was 5 weeks and I had an office job as well. I was going to start back to work from home after 3 weeks but I ended up in the hospital for 3 days (went to ER on the Saturday of that third week) with a kidney stone. They thought it was a marginal ulcer at first so I was NPO for 1.5 days before they figured out it was a stone. They went in to get it but pushed it back in to my kidney so I got a stent for 10 days. That really wiped me out and set me back a month.

I would give yourself a month minimum, but that is me.

I was 5 weeks and I had an office job as well. I was going to start back to work from home after 3 weeks but I ended up in the hospital for 3 days (went to ER on the Saturday of that third week) with a kidney stone. They thought it was a marginal ulcer at first so I was NPO for 1.5 days before they figured out it was a stone. They went in to get it but pushed it back in to my kidney so I got a stent for 10 days. That really wiped me out and set me back a month.

I would give yourself a month minimum, but that is me.
How long did you stay in California?

I flew to Canada, so I had to wait 10 days to fly back to Singapore. I returned to work part time the week after (week 3) and was back to full time by week 4.

You will be tired and feeling not yourself, so the longer you can take, the better.

I flew to Canada, so I had to wait 10 days to fly back to Singapore. I returned to work part time the week after (week 3) and was back to full time by week 4.

You will be tired and feeling not yourself, so the longer you can take, the better.
That was kind of my thinking. Maybe part time or some work from home.

That was kind of my thinking. Maybe part time or some work from home.

It's not that you'll be in pain -- although you may have more incisional discomfort if you have an open vs lap procedure -- you'll just be exhausted. Major surgery leaves you feeling like jello.

If you can, try half days so you can go home and nap in the afternoons if you need to. Or work from home so no one knows if you're napping.

Look at you!!! Looking cute in your new pic girlie!! You look soooo young, what are you 17?

Look at you!!! Looking cute in your new pic girlie!! You look soooo young, what are you 17?

Thanks! That pic was from the Taylor Swift concert I went to late last year, a selfie waiting to get the train home. I'm 17x2... does that count?

To be clear I was talking about my Virgin DS, not my revision.

For my revision I arrived on Sunday, saw Dr k in office on monday, had surgery on Tuesday and flew home the next Monday.

I needed 4 weeks to return part-time as a teacher and it was not easy. AT ALL. And I was in pretty good health. You're going to feel like you're on hunger strike after the surgery, because, with the malabsorption and liquid diet, you are. Take as much time as you can.

how long was everyone out of work? I am going out of town for surgery so I will be there for 10 days. How long should I plan to be out of work? I have an office job so not a ton of activity.

If you were a revision do you feel that your healing time was longer/worse with the 2nd surgery?
Honestly take as much time as you can...you have one chance to heal from this.

I took 5 weeks. I recommend you take as much as you can, but I'd say 3 weeks is the minimum you should take. There is MUCH to deal with post op, and it's different for everyone and impossible to predict. I had a VERY hard time eating for my 1st 8 months. I was also seriously dehydrated for the 1st few months. I literally would get sick as hell trying to get liquids down. This site saved my life when someone here recommended I try simply lemonade. Changed my life! Something about the taste or acidity just made me want to wolf it down from the very 1st sip! Anyhoo, I realize your job is important to you, but as Liz said you have only one chance to heal from this. Give the process the respect it deserves. You'll be glad you did. Best of luck to you!

Latest posts

Back