Home.... plus pictures

I have taken for the most part generics for years because of insurance and I can't say I have found them to be any different acting. My pharmacy has changed vendors of a med several times and it was no less effective so I have always chalked up the idea the generics aren't any good to psychosomatic type phenomenon.

This is an interesting article. I am not saying that the argument that a generic isnt effective couldn't be true in some cases but the data doesn't back up the assertion... At least in the quick Google Searches I performed.
http://www.forbes.com/2009/07/27/generic-drugs-prescriptions-lifestyle-health-drugs.html

Edit: Please note this is an "academic discussion" and C I don't think you are being a psychosomatic so please don't take my comments /questions that way. If your pain control isn't working then by all means push until you get what you need. Hang in there. You have been through too much.
I can't link to the articles because it was quite some time ago but I have read firsthand accounts written by people who experienced life threatening incidents finally tracked back to switching to generic meds. One was a heart medicine and other one was a med for either bipolar or schizophrenia (can't remember which). In one instance "extended release" was the culprit due to the generic pill time release worked much differently. I remember now, it was the woman with bipolar disorder. It released a much higher dose initially than other one did and was making her say and do strange things and was a nightmare until the mystery was solved. She nearly ended up being hospitalized. So, yes, name brand or generic can definitely make a difference!

I have taken for the most part generics for years because of insurance and I can't say I have found them to be any different acting. My pharmacy has changed vendors of a med several times and it was no less effective so I have always chalked up the idea the generics aren't any good to psychosomatic type phenomenon.

This is an interesting article. I am not saying that the argument that a generic isnt effective couldn't be true in some cases but the data doesn't back up the assertion... At least in the quick Google Searches I performed.
http://www.forbes.com/2009/07/27/generic-drugs-prescriptions-lifestyle-health-drugs.html

Edit: Please note this is an "academic discussion" and C I don't think you are being a psychosomatic so please don't take my comments /questions that way. If your pain control isn't working then by all means push until you get what you need. Hang in there. You have been through too much.
For many the generics do work. But there are zebras. IF a person has been on a brand name and is given a generic, most will not notice a difference, but some will.

I get the generic for Synthroid and Cytomel (both are thyroid meds). Some companies add a mild sweetener to the pill, I notice cause I got in the habit long ago of chewing them. Sometimes I get a chalky version, sometimes I don't. In my case, generics work just fine.

For many the generics do work. But there are zebras. IF a person has been on a brand name and is given a generic, most will not notice a difference, but some will.

I get the generic for Synthroid and Cytomel (both are thyroid meds). Some companies add a mild sweetener to the pill, I notice cause I got in the habit long ago of chewing them. Sometimes I get a chalky version, sometimes I don't. In my case, generics work just fine.
I tend to agree Liz

I can't link to the articles because it was quite some time ago but I have read firsthand accounts written by people who experienced life threatening incidents finally tracked back to switching to generic meds. One was a heart medicine and other one was a med for either bipolar or schizophrenia (can't remember which). In one instance "extended release" was the culprit due to the generic pill time release worked much differently. I remember now, it was the woman with bipolar disorder. It released a much higher dose initially than other one did and was making her say and do strange things and was a nightmare until the mystery was solved. She nearly ended up being hospitalized. So, yes, name brand or generic can definitely make a difference!
Hi Sue

I think we are confusing two issues here. Generic vs Brand and Extended Release vs Instant release.

Yes a an XR works/impacts a patient much differently than an IR medicine. This can be very problematic with mental disorders but that is an issue of improper dispensing (that is inexcusable if a pharmacist mixed up a script), improper prescription or in some cases a patient and a Dr learning what works best for the patient.

Regarding generics I am sure there are some drugs that lend themselves to more easily matching the desired outcome with a different formulation than for other drugs. Being a manufacturing process and business expert for nearly 30 years I also have no doubt that some facilities have better process control and produce a better product.

I am simply saying that generic drug benefits far outweigh generic drug problems. That doesn't mean individual cases won't exist.

Hi Sue

I think we are confusing two issues here. Generic vs Brand and Extended Release vs Instant release.

Yes a an XR works/impacts a patient much differently than an IR medicine. This can be very problematic with mental disorders but that is an issue of improper dispensing (that is inexcusable if a pharmacist mixed up a script), improper prescription or in some cases a patient and a Dr learning what works best for the patient.

Regarding generics I am sure there are some drugs that lend themselves to more easily matching the desired outcome with a different formulation than for other drugs. Being a manufacturing process and business expert for nearly 30 years I also have no doubt that some facilities have better process control and produce a better product.

I am simply saying that generic drug benefits far outweigh generic drug problems. That doesn't mean individual cases won't exist.
What I meant was, both instances I read, the culprit was generic. The generic was SUPPOSED to be same type "release" as the name brand, was titled as such, but for some reason, the rate of release within the timed release was much different than the name brand. I'm not comparing apples to oranges.

What I meant was, both instances I read, the culprit was generic. The generic was SUPPOSED to be same type "release" as the name brand, was titled as such, but for some reason, the rate of release within the timed release was much different than the name brand. I'm not comparing apples to oranges.
Thanks for the clarification

Sadly yes. They are not all formulated the same ways, even with the same meds in them. I assume she's got a fentanyl patch - maybe cheaper, inferior or just plain ineffective-for-her penetrant.

Several months ago I got a generic of a vitamin D analog (calcipitriol) cream that I use on my vulva to treat a minor autoimmune condition. The first tube worked beautifully, and I was able to cut back the amount of strong steroid I was using (which works but has its own issues with constant use). The second tube I opened a couple of days into our month-long RV trip last fall - and immediately thought my bits and pieces were ON FIRE!! The calcipitriol was the same dosage, but formulated with benzyl alcohol!!!
Okay. I may be a nurse but I'm still an old fashioned Irish prude and Diana you mentioning your undercarriage girl parts in mixed company made me flinch!!! However, I do feel your pain cause I had a similar experience with a peppermint body wash. I tingled minty fresh for hours in all sorts of places.

Wow @southernlady you chew pills my goodness. I think I'd miss a lot of meds If I had to chew them.

My mother couldn't take generic thyroid meds.

Wow @southernlady you chew pills my goodness. I think I'd miss a lot of meds If I had to chew them.

ONLY those two...I bought into the line during my research phase about chewables esp early on...so I started chewing those two since I knew I would still be taking them for life. By the time I figured out that I could swallow pills, the habit was there. Just like my habit of taking them during a middle of the night potty run.

Many docs recommend chewing thyroid meds. My doc said it would absorb better. I've never been told to do it with any other pills, but have done so when something wasn't absorbing well enough, and it can make a difference. I've taken the powder out of my vitamin D capsules when desperate to get my levels up.

I hope you've gotten the pain meds sorted out, and get to the business of healing. So much easier when not clenched in pain.

I have taken for the most part generics for years because of insurance and I can't say I have found them to be any different acting. My pharmacy has changed vendors of a med several times and it was no less effective so

@DSRIGGS I take no offense. Even though yout first response seemed like you thought I was having a blonde moment. Even if everyone who agrees with with me had said oh no Clarissa your wrong. I would still believe what my experiences and pharmacists confirmed. I dont claim to know everything so i rely on what professionals say. Ask me about my profession and im on it. As you see many others have the same experiences. if I remember correctly @DianaCox has more knowledge about the subject do to her profession.

Many docs recommend chewing thyroid meds. My doc said it would absorb better. I've never been told to do it with any other pills, but have done so when something wasn't absorbing well enough, and it can make a difference. I've taken the powder out of my vitamin D capsules when desperate to get my levels up.

I hope you've gotten the pain meds sorted out, and get to the business of healing. So much easier when not clenched in pain.

Well if my thyroid meds doesn't absorb right in the future I might try it. YUCK!

Latest posts

Back