Home from ventral hernia abdom wall surgery

Settledownnow

I had my ventral hernia and abdominal wall reconstruction surgery on Tuesday and came home on Friday! Everything is going really well and I was released a couple days early. I was so happy with my choice of surgeon and hospital. The surgeon was able to get my basketball sized stomach completely flat.

I was in surgery for five hours and went through a very painful recovery period. I would say the pain was on par with the RNY to DS conversation or perhaps even more intense. The first night I threw up blood twice which was very frightening. My breathing was very low and I needed oxygen for the first two days. I had a morphine pump and other pain meds and by day three the pain was under control and I was in recovery mode.

The surgeon was fun when she came in the room after surgery. She did a fist pump in the air and said, "I got your stomach flat, yeah!" and she also was able to remove the scar left by my feeding tube from the RNY/DS procedure (my special request). My stomach was so stretched out she needed to remove a lot of skin. I have my belly button and a tidy looking incision with staples that start below my belly button and up to my breastbone.

Pain is still there at home, but manageable. My labs after surgery tanked. Hbg, hct, potassium, calcium, and magnesium are all low now. I gained 16 pounds in fluids! All of my pants are tight. My blouses fit without the big basket stomach! I'm wearing a binder for at least two weeks or as long as I needed it. It feels much more comfortable to wear the binder than to be without.

Last edited:
I've been thinking of you and hoping all went well. (So by "she" I guess you decided on Cinci not CCF.) And she got it flat after saying she could only do 50% flat, removed excess skin and your feeding tube scar? That's amazing and terrific! Very happy for you. Yeah the pain isn't fun but you know the drill: every day gets better than the last. Hang in there

Glad to hear you are home now. Wear the binder as much as you need but slowly work up to doing without a bit at a time. Like a bath (sponge for now, I'm guessing), then maybe a second time during the day for 10-15 mins...

It's like wearing a back brace, too long in weeks, and you lose core strength muscles. But you need it while you need it.

I've been thinking of you and hoping all went well. (So by "she" I guess you decided on Cinci not CCF.) And she got it flat after saying she could only do 50% flat, removed excess skin and your feeding tube scar? That's amazing and terrific! Very happy for you. Yeah the pain isn't fun but you know the drill: every day gets better than the last. Hang in there

Yes, I went with the lady surgeon from Cincy. A couple of the nurses also commented that I was fortunate to have her because she is considered to be highly skilled and has a great bedside manner. It certainly does make it easier to already know the pain and recovery drill and in time it will all pass.

I'm so glad you're home, doing well, and happy with the surgery results thus far. Each day should be better.

Thanks everyone for your supportive comments. It does seem odd to be feeling good after major surgery. However, I was so uncomfortable with my giant hernia that it is a relief for the beach ball to be gone even if there is pain from the surgery.

I'm so, SO happy for you!! We all know how disappointing the results can sometimes be, and I can only imagine how thrilled you must be! It makes all the difference in the works when yor surgeon is nice, too!!
Hope your recovery is a breeze!

Latest posts

Back