Hiya!

Hi and welcome! I'm so glad you're here now, where you have already found others with your same surgeon and so much great advice.

Thank you so very much, and to the others that invited me. I'm happy to have found some kindred souls.

As you've already seen, Dr. Boyce is definitely an experienced DS surgeon, and I would recommend you discuss sleeve size with him along with discussion of limb lengths. As to why he, and so many others, provides gastric bypass nutrition info to DS patients, I have no idea. It makes no sense whatsoever, yet we see it all the time.
I'm happy to have been guided to him. I don't believe in coincidence. Everything happens for a reason. I knew when I met him, he was the right one. I just didnt expect his advice to be so far away from what i thought i needed. But he is the expert. I just have to get over my own fears and I'm working on that through more education.

Hi Myst and welcome. I'm new around here myself. I am 19 DAYS post op myself with DS and band revision. I still feel pretty crappy right now but this lot keep me positive and uplift me daily.

HI @Mystrys and welcome to the board! You will learn here - use the bookmark feature to save info from people that you may not need today, but think you might tomorrow. Sure makes it easier to find stuff later.

As for your choice of surgeons - Dr. Boyce is excellent. I had surgery with him 8 months ago. I am a revision from lapband to DS. I had the lapband like maybe 8 years ago with a different surgeon - the sleeve was not covered by insurances at the time and I knew i did not want an RNY. Had never heard of the DS and did not consult with Boyce. Like you said it all works out like it should - I ended up with Boyce and the DS and have not regretted it after the first couple months anyway. Well that is not exactly true - my only regret is that I did not do it sooner.

I did use their supplements because it was an easy plan to follow. I used the barilife vits the 1st 4 months also - at my 1st round of labs everything was decreasing so switched immediately to the Vitalady plan. I would not recommend that plan :) - My brain was not ready to manage all the vits and dosing regime initially so it worked out.

I had been on insulin for 14 years and oral medication (first Glucophage and then Actos) for 13 years. I was so insulin resistant that even a very tight control regimen and over 160 units total per day couldn't give me a fast glucose under 200. That was my condition the day of surgery, a Monday. I left the hospital on Thursday having taken 20 units of NPH with a glucose of 80.

I was off insulin within a month and off Actos in 4-6 months. I've since then had a negative glucose tolerance test and my A1c holds true at 4.6-4.8, even with a regain of about 15-20% of my excess weight as measured by (stupid) BMI.

Latest posts

Back