High BMI newbie

Thanks so much for the heads up. i'll double-check that he does the 2 anastomosis surgery. I didn't think of looking at UChicago. Will definitely check it out!

There are also people here from Chi-Town. @hilary1617 and there are others too.

I'm not sure how high your BMI is, but mine was 47. DS was the best decision I ever made. Keep researching and asking questions.

Beth
Thanks so much for the heads up. i'll double-check that he does the 2 anastomosis surgery. I didn't think of looking at UChicago. Will definitely check it out!

I've never heard of this surgeon as a DS surgeon. It's possible he's started doing it recently (which would be great as we need more DS surgeons), but it's also possible he's doing the experimental version with all those other names. Another possibility, which someone else here just ran into, is that he's doing a real, 2 anastomosis DS BUT with an excessively long common channel, which has never been shown to be as effective long term as a DS with a proper length common channel of 100 cm or thereabouts. So it's important to ask specific questions and pin down the details. The details really matter. If you don't get the right answers, you don't have the right surgeon.

Now that I think about it, there is someone who hasn't posted here for a long time who may have had a DS with him. But I can't remember her name, and it's been quite awhile since she's been around here. She went back and forth between 2 different surgeons (the other was Dr. Prachand in Chicago) but I think she ended up with Dr. Kane. If she sees this, I hope she'll chime in...but she may not be around anymore.

Hey Larra - now I'm suspicious. Going to go back to the info I have about the program and try to nail down which procedure he does. Thanks!

Hi and welcome @GenJones. If you are open to a second opinion or alternative surgeons, I highly recommend surgeon, Dr. Alverdy at U of C. He's brilliant and in addition to being Chair of the Department for the Surgical Treatment on Obesity, he's also an expert on gut microflora.

All the best!
Thanks for the recommendation! I'll definitely check him out.

Latest posts

Back