Hi.

Kathy26

i am just starting my research and would love any information you offer. I am debating which surgery to get. My bmi is 37, I have diabetes, high cholesterol, fibromyalgia, pcos, and pvc's . I need to loose about 90 pds. I am also a self pay.

Welcome, @Kathy26
The surgery you need is one YOU can live with. My choice at a 35.2 BMI was the DS.
I had type 2 insulin dependent diabetes, genetically high cholesterol, PCOS. I also required NSAIDS.

A couple of questions, have you dieted, lost the weight, and then regained it? I did and they always brought friends. IF you do, malabsorption is the only way to go.
Do you need NSAIDS? If you aren't old enough to have the typical osteoarthritis that many of us over 40/50 are plagued with, look at your family history. Did your parents have arthritis?

As long as you make an informed decision, then the surgery you chose is up to you. BUT to make an informed decision, you need to read everything you can, talk to people who live with all surgeries (that is what you are doing here), and make sure your surgeon offers all options.

Many surgeons will tell someone who is a lightweight (and yeap, you're one) that the sleeve is best. And it might be...but you must know YOU.

Hi and welcome!

There is so much more to this important decision than just bmi. The rate of resolution for type 2 diabetes is highest by far with the DS. Next best for that comorbidity woud be gastric bypass, but the rate for this isn't as good as it was once thought to be. It turns out that for some people, the diabetes comes back after a few years. This is rarely seen with DS. And both sleeve and lap band have far, far lower rates of resolution for type diabetes.
You also have to consider, as @southernlady pointed out, what you can live with. The longterm post-op diet for the DS is the most normal and liberal of all the operations. For some people (including me) that's a big deal. Others accept the lifetime limitations of the other operations. Also, with the DS we can take NSAIDs, which are contraindicated for life with gastric bypass. Even if you don't need them now, we are all getting older and you may need them in the future. On the other hand, with the DS we need to take more vitamins and minerals than people with any other operation. To me this seems very doable, for others this may be a deal breaker.
So take a good hard, honest look at yourself, what is acceptable to you and what isn't, and make an informed decision.

Welcome, @Kathy26
The surgery you need is one YOU can live with. My choice at a 35.2 BMI was the DS.
I had type 2 insulin dependent diabetes, genetically high cholesterol, PCOS. I also required NSAIDS.

A couple of questions, have you dieted, lost the weight, and then regained it? I did and they always brought friends. IF you do, malabsorption is the only way to go.
Do you need NSAIDS? If you aren't old enough to have the typical osteoarthritis that many of us over 40/50 are plagued with, look at your family history. Did your parents have arthritis?

As long as you make an informed decision, then the surgery you chose is up to you. BUT to make an informed decision, you need to read everything you can, talk to people who live with all surgeries (that is what you are doing here), and make sure your surgeon offers all options.

Many surgeons will tell someone who is a lightweight (and yeap, you're one) that the sleeve is best. And it might be...but you must know YOU.

I have dieted most of my life, same as you each time a little more comes back. I am 46, my sister has ra , so far I have not been dx'd with that. I do take NSAIDs everyday. Oh I have neuropathy too.

Hi and welcome!

There is so much more to this important decision than just bmi. The rate of resolution for type 2 diabetes is highest by far with the DS. Next best for that comorbidity woud be gastric bypass, but the rate for this isn't as good as it was once thought to be. It turns out that for some people, the diabetes comes back after a few years. This is rarely seen with DS. And both sleeve and lap band have far, far lower rates of resolution for type diabetes.
You also have to consider, as @southernlady pointed out, what you can live with. The longterm post-op diet for the DS is the most normal and liberal of all the operations. For some people (including me) that's a big deal. Others accept the lifetime limitations of the other operations. Also, with the DS we can take NSAIDs, which are contraindicated for life with gastric bypass. Even if you don't need them now, we are all getting older and you may need them in the future. On the other hand, with the DS we need to take more vitamins and minerals than people with any other operation. To me this seems very doable, for others this may be a deal breaker.
So take a good hard, honest look at yourself, what is acceptable to you and what isn't, and make an informed decision.

I did not know these facts with all you just pointed out it seems like the DS is the only way . I am sick of diabetes! I already take a lot of vitamins so that's not an issue at all. I did not realize that DS had the least amount of restrictions after, that's a nother major plus.

Hi and welcome. Do lots of reading on here and ask a lot of specific questions. You will be able to make a decision that is right for you after all of that. :geek:

Okay, right now, FL does not have a vetted DS surgeon. That MIGHT change after March when Dr. Dennis Smith of Marietta, GA relocates to Celebration, FL. He is suppose to be teaching tho from what I understand.

Closest vetted DS surgeons other than Dr. Smith are Dr. Sudan in Raleigh, NC and Dr. Stephen Boyce in Knoxville, TN. BUT as a self pay, you have another option: Dr. Greenbaum in NJ, he has an excellent self pay price. Or you could go out of country..

Tagging @Elizabeth N. and @jillc

Hi Kathy26. I had a distal rny in 2000 because I was a brittle diabetic 8 insulin shots a day. After 14 years I still dumped but my diabetes had resurfaced. So I had the DS. The DS works best long term from what I understand and have been told.

Hi @Kathy26 and welcome! I had surgery with Greenbaum who has an AMAZEBALLS self pay price for the US (I came from Canada for it. When I had the surgery in Dec, it was $15,000, but it is possible the price went up $1000 or so as the hospital has put up their prices before my surgery and Greenbaum was kind enough to take a cut on his surgical fee). I had a complicated revision surgery with no complications.
When @Elizabeth N. (*waves at Elizabeth*) she will tell you tons about Greenbaum as she lives in NJ. Don't listen to his nutritionist though - but that seems standard for the majority of DS surgical practices - they give shite nutritional advice.
You go to the surgeon for the surgery and listen to the vets for vitamin and nutritional advice.
There is also one possibility in Mexico, Dr. Ungson. Not sure what his self pay price for a virgin DS.

Hello and welcome to the board! Good luck with your research and decision on which WLS to pursue.

Hi Kathy,
glad you found us & hope you get what you need. diabetes can be a terrible thing.

:welcomeboard:

Latest posts

Back