Hi

ALSmith

Hi my name is Andrea and I am 35 years old.... I first had RNY back in November of 2009... I done really well with the surgery and lost from 367 down to 210...Shortly after I got married I had to have a hysterectomy and I gained back up to 261 and afraid that I was gonna gain all my weight back I had a revision last year in October and I had the DS. Well I was going thru a divorce and I wasn't taking good care of myself so I developed a leak in my pouch and come pretty close to dying and spent most of November in the hospital getting out on thanksgiving. I llost down to 202 and met my significant other and I am extremely happy but I have gained up to 221 and 6 of those lbs I have gained in the last week and a half that I have been trying to diet and exercise. I don't understand what I am doing wrong and I had a friend to send me here for help. I am begging for help for anyone I can get it from. I don't wanna come this far just to back peddle.

wow, that is a boatload of change in not too long a time - very stressful.

first of all, Hi Andrea to you and welcome to the board.

:rainbowwelcome:

can I ask how the rest of your health is - blood pressure, blood sugar

and have you been :

counting protein grams
taking supplements
staying hydrated - do you now how much liquid you get in a day?

pretty basic stuff but we just met - the DS folks will be along soon. meanwhile, love your photo and cograts on the SO. :dancing biggrin: < I wanted to post the dancing banana but where is it?

wow, that is a boatload of change in not too long a time - very stressful.

first of all, Hi Andrea to you and welcome to the board.

:rainbowwelcome:

can I ask how the rest of your health is - blood pressure, blood sugar

and have you been :

counting protein grams
taking supplements
staying hydrated - do you now how much liquid you get in a day?

pretty basic stuff but we just met - the DS folks will be along soon. meanwhile, love your photo and cograts on the SO. :dancing biggrin: < I wanted to post the dancing banana but where is it?

.I am supposed to get in 160 grans of protein a day but I am having a really hard time with that... I do take my vitamins everyday and as in blood pressure I haven't had bad blood pressure since I started my journey stays on the low side but never high and I aint real sure on my blood work I go for my one year apt next month. My Drs want me to get in no less than 1000 and no more than 1300 calories a day and I stay between that and I exercise but since I have been doing my exercises in the last week and a half I have gained 6 more pounds and it is getting to the point just thinking about food makes me sick to my stomach even if I get hungry and start to eat I have to force myself to eat til I feel like puking ...

well, you are obviously eating, so it's up to you to change what you put in your mouth. I just broke it down into three sentences on another thread. Either make those changes or live with your weight gain. It truly is that simple.....which is not synonymous with easy.

I am supposed to get in 160 grans of protein a day but I am having a really hard time with that

are you having trouble getting in protein because

it is getting to the point just thinking about food makes me sick to my stomach

or are these separate issues?

edited to add: are you actually finding that food makes you nauseated or is that just a saying - like, you are tired of the idea of food. could you explain please? :)

Last edited:
:rainbowwelcome: @ALSmith,

Part of it is you are accidentally listening to CLUELESS NUTS (Nutritionists) about how to eat with a DS.

Maybe explain it how you explained it to me on FB and then the others can help you sort this out.

Here are a bunch of thoughts for you:

1) Who did your revision? Do you have your surgical notes/operative report? Many times, unfortunately, surgeons LIE and don't do what they said they were going to do. Let's first make sure you actually HAVE a DS.

2) I don't know what to make of this: "I had a revision last year in October and I had the DS. Well I was going thru a divorce and I wasn't taking good care of myself so I developed a leak in my pouch and come pretty close to dying and spent most of November in the hospital" - what do you think YOU did that caused you to get a leak??

3) "I have gained up to 221 and 6 of those lbs I have gained in the last week and a half" - likely water weight - what are you eating? Write out a few days of what you are eating, drinking and what vitamins, minerals, supplements and other medication you are taking.

4) "I am supposed to get in 160 grans of protein a day": Who told you that?

5) "My Drs want me to get in no less than 1000 and no more than 1300 calories a day": Which doctors? Your DS surgeon/NUT?

Okay, I can answer some of these, @DianaCox
She is a Boyce revision.
The office staff/nuts have a VERY bad habit of telling DS'er's they have a pouch...I even corrected them and got a "whatever".
Her NUT told her 160 grams of protein a day, gave her the unrealistic calorie count. They are still telling everyone no/low fat...even tho challenged on it which I did 3 years ago.

I've been in conversation with her most of the day trying to correct the terrible info she was given as far as eating with the DS. She honestly believed what she was told by the office staff/nuts. Told her he is a great cutter but LOUSY follow up. That she is better off listening to those of us who LIVE with the DS every day.

337206898_5f69f2d870_o.jpg

are you having trouble getting in protein because

or are these separate issues?

edited to add: are you actually finding that food makes you nauseated or is that just a saying - like, you are tired of the idea of food. could you explain please? :)
I am literally getting sick of the thought of eating anything cause once I set down to eat I start thinking ...omgosh this is just gonna be another pound I am gonna gain if I eat this ... and the protein thing I have a hard time with cause what I aint eating in protein I have to drink in the shakes and the shakes are hard on my stomach but I make myself sip on them anyhows I am gonna start doing better now that I know what I was doing wrong

Here are a bunch of thoughts for you:

1) Who did your revision? Do you have your surgical notes/operative report? Many times, unfortunately, surgeons LIE and don't do what they said they were going to do. Let's first make sure you actually HAVE a DS.

2) I don't know what to make of this: "I had a revision last year in October and I had the DS. Well I was going thru a divorce and I wasn't taking good care of myself so I developed a leak in my pouch and come pretty close to dying and spent most of November in the hospital" - what do you think YOU did that caused you to get a leak??

3) "I have gained up to 221 and 6 of those lbs I have gained in the last week and a half" - likely water weight - what are you eating? Write out a few days of what you are eating, drinking and what vitamins, minerals, supplements and other medication you are taking.

4) "I am supposed to get in 160 grans of protein a day": Who told you that?

5) "My Drs want me to get in no less than 1000 and no more than 1300 calories a day": Which doctors? Your DS surgeon/NUT?

Dr. Williams, which is in with Dr. Boyce did my surgery. No I wasn't given no reports on my surgery at all which I didn't ask for them. But Dr. Williams told me he took part of my intestine out and part of my stomach .

I wasn't taking care of myself because I wasn't drinking my fluids and because I was walking the floor and worrying about what I was gonna do cause I was going thru the divorce and was fixing to lose my home I started smoking again and that was mostly what I was told that caused my leak...

Well one of the nutritionist that is at the office since I no longer see my Dr. told me I needed to get in 160 grams and they are the ones who tell me I need to get that calorie count in too ...

Latest posts

Back