Hi. I am new to site.

kim79

I am new to the site. I am gathering information on DS and I meet with my PCP on WED, and a surgeon on Monday. I have Cigna HMO. I am trying to do as much research now, get my ducks in a row so that I have as much info as possible before I start this long processes.

Hey Kim! You found us. Lots of good info here already. Now that I know what state you're in, I'll also tell you that the only DS surgeon in your state doing a real DS is Dr. Dennis Smith. He has an excellent reputation and some of his patients post here, so you can ask people about him. There is at least one other surgeon in your state doing a different operation and calling it a DS, so you really have to be careful. And of course, there are lots of bariatric surgeons all over the place who don't do the DS at all, so don't waste your time with them.

So what is this?
Biliopancreatic Diversion with Duodenal Switch? - now I am really confused. i thought I had made sure he did the right kind. I am not sure what to do now. he is the only doctor covered by my insurance.

Last edited:
Hey Kim! You found us. Lots of good info here already. Now that I know what state you're in, I'll also tell you that the only DS surgeon in your state doing a real DS is Dr. Dennis Smith. He has an excellent reputation and some of his patients post here, so you can ask people about him. There is at least one other surgeon in your state doing a different operation and calling it a DS, so you really have to be careful. And of course, there are lots of bariatric surgeons all over the place who don't do the DS at all, so don't waste your time with them.
Thank you for the info and inviting me to the site.

So what is this?
Biliopancreatic Diversion with Duodenal Switch? - now I am really confused. i thought I had made sure he did the right kind. I am not sure what to do now. he is the only doctor covered by my insurance.
Biliopancreatic Diversion with Duodenal Switch is the full name of the DS. It has two problems with its full name. One, too damned long and way too much of a mouthful. And two, due to have the 'Biliopancratic Diversion' as part of its name leads to confusion with the old, no longer standard of care operation called the BPD (Biliopancratic Diversion).

http://www.dsfacts.com/history-of-duodenal-switch.php

Okay so even if the doctor says they do it they don't? or I just should not go to them? Again I do not mean to sound naive about this, I am just trying to understand.

it is hard on patients right now. Now, surgeons are performing procedures that are not the traditional DS. The language is confusing, because some of them are calling it the DS. Some patients only find out about the difference after they have had the procedure. There are two new variations:
  1. SIPS (Stomach Intestinal Pylorus Preserving Surgery) is a new procedure which is a variation of Biliopancreatic Diversion with Duodenal Switch (DS for short). It is also known as sleeve gastrectomy with loop duodeno-ileal anastomosis, or "loop DS". It is not the DS that people have had here.
  2. The other variation is SADI-S (Single Anastomosis Duodeno-Ileal bypass with Sleeve Gastrectomy). Surgeons may say this is essentially the DS, but it isn't.
Now, you can ask him if he is doing the traditional DS, as devised by Dr. Douglas Hess in 1986 or if he is doing one of the new procedures. First, you can establish that he is doing the original Hess DS procedure, which is the one that has been studied for a long time, has patients that are 30 years out from surgery, and is not investigational. Second, if he is giving you the original surgery, there are other questions about variations in the actual DS surgery measuring during the operation that others here who know more will guide you through.

Good that you found out now and get this clarified. DS patients have to be very knowledgeable about the procedures. If you stay around here for a while, you will get an advanced degree in bariatric surgery!

Okay so even if the doctor says they do it they don't? or I just should not go to them? Again I do not mean to sound naive about this, I am just trying to understand.

It's confusing. It's not you! So, know a couple things. First, surgeons recommend the surgery they do. So be prepared to be told the sleeve or the RNY is fine.

Do you research and know if you really want the DS - we like it on this board. If it's what you want, then, you need to figure out how to get your insurance to approve you out of network. @Larra and @DianaCox can help you work though that.

Again, understand if you see a surgeon who does NOT do the DS, they will try to talk you out of it. Be firm in what you want.

Good luck. Keep asking questions.

Cheers!

it is hard on patients right now. Now, surgeons are performing procedures that are not the traditional DS. The language is confusing, because some of them are calling it the DS. Some patients only find out about the difference after they have had the procedure. There are two new variations:
  1. SIPS (Stomach Intestinal Pylorus Preserving Surgery) is a new procedure which is a variation of Biliopancreatic Diversion with Duodenal Switch (DS for short). It is also known as sleeve gastrectomy with loop duodeno-ileal anastomosis, or "loop DS". It is not the DS that people have had here.
  2. The other variation is SADI-S (Single Anastomosis Duodeno-Ileal bypass with Sleeve Gastrectomy). Surgeons may say this is essentially the DS, but it isn't.
Now, you can ask him if he is doing the traditional DS, as devised by Dr. Douglas Hess in 1986 or if he is doing one of the new procedures. First, you can establish that he is doing the original Hess DS procedure, which is the one that has been studied for a long time, has patients that are 30 years out from surgery, and is not investigational. Second, if he is giving you the original surgery, there are other questions about variations in the actual DS surgery measuring during the operation that others here who know more will guide you through.

Good that you found out now and get this clarified. DS patients have to be very knowledgeable about the procedures. If you stay around here for a while, you will get an advanced degree in bariatric surgery!
Thank you so much for the info! i will probably print this out to keep with me.

It's confusing. It's not you! So, know a couple things. First, surgeons recommend the surgery they do. So be prepared to be told the sleeve or the RNY is fine.

Do you research and know if you really want the DS - we like it on this board. If it's what you want, then, you need to figure out how to get your insurance to approve you out of network. @Larra and @DianaCox can help you work though that.

Again, understand if you see a surgeon who does NOT do the DS, they will try to talk you out of it. Be firm in what you want.

Good luck. Keep asking questions.

Cheers!
The more I read about it, the more I think its the surgery for me. I am still reading though, these forums help. I have had crapband and had it removed. I want something with lasting results.

I have had crapband and had it removed. I want something with lasting results.

I was a lapband to DS revision, as were many others on the site. It's a whole new world of being able to eat without having to have a bathroom in sight, and actual weight loss. I'm down ~100 lbs in 12 months.

I was a lapband to DS revision, as were many others on the site. It's a whole new world of being able to eat without having to have a bathroom in sight, and actual weight loss. I'm down ~100 lbs in 12 months.
I can not even imagine how that would feel.

Latest posts

Back