Hi, hello, how are ya!

That's a shame, but I can't say that I'm surprised. We have yet to learn of a surgeon doing the DS in your state. Many people have to travel to get a DS, and IMHO it's well worth the effort. Traveling for surgery is a one time thing; you live with the results of the surgery, good or bad, forever.

The SADI is not the same as the DS. The long term results are not known. Some surgeons are touting it as less risky than the DS, but in reality, the one less anastomosis is about the easiest and least risky part of the DS, and that's the only thing that is avoided. It is also not a standard of care bariatric operation in the USA. Some surgeons (obviously I'm not saying your potential surgeon is doing this!) get around the lack of an insurance code for this operation by using the DS code, even though the description of this code clearly states that it has 2 anastomoses. At some point the insurance companies are going to catch on.
Of course you should continue reading and learn all you can about this before making your personal decision. There are several really good discussions about this on this forum already, and hopefully someone like @southernlady will come along and provide links for you.
I am self-pay.

@Ridgerunner it's a shame you have to be self-pay, but in some ways it expands your surgeon options because you don't have to deal with insurance approval issues. State side, you could consider Dr. Greenbaum in NJ, who last I heard had an excellent self-pay package, or Dr. Esquerra in Mexico. He is the only surgeon in Mexico that folks here would recommend for the DS. There are a bunch of his patients here, and the feedback has been overwhelmingly positive both regarding the surgeon himself and also about the care at the hospital. You could do a shout out to his patients if you are interested. And you don't need to go through one of those "medical tourism" businesses, his staff would help you with all the arrangements.
Closer to home you could consider Dr. Ayoola in Denton, TX. I don't know what his self-pay rate is. If you have someone else in mind, ask here before making arrangements and getting yourself into a fixed mind set. The DS world is small enough that people here know who the players and non-players are.
Others may have more suggestions for self-pay in your part of the country.

@Ridgerunner it's a shame you have to be self-pay, but in some ways it expands your surgeon options because you don't have to deal with insurance approval issues. State side, you could consider Dr. Greenbaum in NJ, who last I heard had an excellent self-pay package, or Dr. Esquerra in Mexico. He is the only surgeon in Mexico that folks here would recommend for the DS. There are a bunch of his patients here, and the feedback has been overwhelmingly positive both regarding the surgeon himself and also about the care at the hospital. You could do a shout out to his patients if you are interested. And you don't need to go through one of those "medical tourism" businesses, his staff would help you with all the arrangements.
Closer to home you could consider Dr. Ayoola in Denton, TX. I don't know what his self-pay rate is. If you have someone else in mind, ask here before making arrangements and getting yourself into a fixed mind set. The DS world is small enough that people here know who the players and non-players are.
Others may have more suggestions for self-pay in your part of the country.
I appreciate your concern and all your alternative suggestions. I am not comfortable with having a surgery so far away from where I live. As it is I am traveling an hour and a half away and am somewhat worried that this is too far. But thank you for everything. You've been great.

I understand that the idea of having major surgery far from home can be scary. But I really don't think you are going to find a DS surgeon closer to home. I hate to see anyone compromise on medical care over logistics. Please keep asking questions and researching, and keep your mind open to the idea of travel, knowing that you would get good care at your destination, and knowing that others have gone this path before you and made it work.

I understand that the idea of having major surgery far from home can be scary. But I really don't think you are going to find a DS surgeon closer to home. I hate to see anyone compromise on medical care over logistics. Please keep asking questions and researching, and keep your mind open to the idea of travel, knowing that you would get good care at your destination, and knowing that others have gone this path before you and made it work.
Yes the thought is scary. It is also impractical and for my situation undoable. I do not believe I am compromising my medical care nor do I feel like a coward for choosing not to travel great distances for wls. I understand that you feel DS is the only surgery that works and I agree that it is, in many cases, the best choice. But I am not of the opinion that it is the only choice worth making, as you do. I am of the opinion that there are pros and cons to all surgeries. I respect your feelings on the matter, please respect mine. If after my consult with this surgeon I feel confident in his ability to perform this surgery and believe this is a tool that I can use and maintain in my life then I will do it. If not then I will not.

I do respect your feelings, and I do not think you are a coward. I also understand that all of us have different personal situations, and that I can't possibly know everything about you and the circumstances of your life that might make travel for surgery not possible for you at this point in your life.
Ask lots of questions at your consult. You could even ask the surgeon if he could or would do the DS for you, even if it's his usual practice. Then make an informed decision. Whatever you decide, I and everyone else here will wish you every success.

I do respect your feelings, and I do not think you are a coward. I also understand that all of us have different personal situations, and that I can't possibly know everything about you and the circumstances of your life that might make travel for surgery not possible for you at this point in your life.
Ask lots of questions at your consult. You could even ask the surgeon if he could or would do the DS for you, even if it's his usual practice. Then make an informed decision. Whatever you decide, I and everyone else here will wish you every success.
Thanks Larra. I wish you every success as well :)

@Ridgerunner, no matter what procedure you go for, please make sure you have a surgeon with _lots_ of experience with that procedure, and check for complication rates, malpractice cases, etc. for both surgeon and hospital. Also look for success rates - long term weight loss, etc.

All the best and hope you make the best decision for you.

@Ridgerunner, no matter what procedure you go for, please make sure you have a surgeon with _lots_ of experience with that procedure, and check for complication rates, malpractice cases, etc. for both surgeon and hospital. Also look for success rates - long term weight loss, etc.

All the best and hope you make the best decision for you.
I absolutely will. Thank you hilary1617.

Latest posts

Back